Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anti-Covid vaccinations

Anti-Covid vaccinations

Old Jan 18th 2021, 9:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Covid vaccinations

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk
Here in U.K. I know of many people who have had the vaccine and I have two friends (88 and 55 year old ladies) who have felt tired and aicky for 24 hours 30 hours after receiving the vaccine ( astra zenica). This is no worse than the standard annual flu vaccine side effects ...so go for it when offered.
Re waiting for long term side effects...by the time i receive my shot (post Easter at this rate) we will be on our fourth or fifth maker of vaccines and it will still be new (and long term side effects will still be unknown). (my cynical side).
More seriously....I am not happy with the 12 gap between vaccinations....4 weeks would be better !
- OH and I were as sick as dogs (literally) the day after a flu vaccination a few years back, and it was only when he became chronically ill that I plucked up courage to get vaccinated again, in order to protect him. No side effects since, but then the vaccines aren't new...
- In France it's a 4-week gap - my s.i.l and friends have already been given RVs for the second jabs...
Old Jan 18th 2021, 9:26 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Here in U.K. I know of many people who have had the vaccine and I have two friends (88 and 55 year old ladies) who have felt tired and aicky for 24 hours 30 hours after receiving the vaccine ( astra zenica). This is no worse than the standard annual flu vaccine side effects ...so go for it when offered.
Re waiting for long term side effects...by the time i receive my shot (post Easter at this rate) we will be on our fourth or fifth maker of vaccines and it will still be new (and long term side effects will still be unknown). (my cynical side).
More seriously....I am not happy with the 12 gap between vaccinations....4 weeks would be better !
The U.K. is doing fantastically well vaccinating people. The numbers are staggering. I think side effects are par for the course with regards any vaccine. Given that millions in the U.K. have been vaccinated and I don't know of any that have suffered extreme ill effects it is a remarkable achievement. The media would be all over it if there were any serious effects. Being vaccinated is the only way out of this mess and the sooner all countries get their act together then obviously we can return to some normality. Unfortunately some countries are being ridiculously slow.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 12:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Thanks for that, I couldn't give the whole list, and would hope that forum members don't suffer from the more rare illnesses...
A reminder that if you do suffer from anything on the list or other ALD, you need to consult your MT before you make an appointment (but he/she will have advised you already.....)
Yes my appointment is for next week although got to travel a little further than ideal.

For anyone else thats intrested booking a doctors appointment or finding a place that has avalibility for the Covid vaccine near you Doctolib online booking website makes it easier.

In full lockdowns doctors Rv have been via zoom. Prescriptions are emailed to you and directly to Pharmacy of you choice.

https://www.doctolib.fr/

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 6:35 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Only 800.000 vaccinated since Christmas, around 28.000 a day! The appointments system crashing and now some centres closing apparently because they haven't any vaccine. It's a shambles and no wonder the media are beginning to get on the governments back. At this rate I shall still waiting for a vaccination next year! The French health system is one of the very best in the world but I can only assume it has evolved into that over a considerable period of time as the handling of vaccinations is truly very bad.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had my vaccine (Pfizer) and just had a slight sore arm, no different from any other vaccination though. We are really rolling out the vaccinations here and all very well organised and in varied locations. Hopefully we will all beat this covid 19 soon. Good luck to everyone
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

What concerns me in the UK is that there is so much focus on vaccination targets that everything else seems to have been forgotten. All the stops have been pulled out to give people their first jab and that seems to be going very well, but people are waiting far longer than the recommended gap for their booster. And now there are calls for lockdown to be lifted when vaccination targets have been hit - it's almost as if the infection rates and death rates, which are horrendous, don't matter any more and it will all go away once enough people have been vaccinated. Maybe it will but until we know more about the potential of vaccinated people still getting the virus and passing it on; and how long protection lasts, and the implications of delaying the second jab, I think more caution would be safer.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
What concerns me in the UK is that there is so much focus on vaccination targets that everything else seems to have been forgotten. All the stops have been pulled out to give people their first jab and that seems to be going very well, but people are waiting far longer than the recommended gap for their booster. And now there are calls for lockdown to be lifted when vaccination targets have been hit - it's almost as if the infection rates and death rates, which are horrendous, don't matter any more and it will all go away once enough people have been vaccinated. Maybe it will but until we know more about the potential of vaccinated people still getting the virus and passing it on; and how long protection lasts, and the implications of delaying the second jab, I think more caution would be safer.
On that subject, UK has always been about money, to keep rich people making money.
It was never about humanity and life, as that is incompatible with nationalism.
in few days, UK will reach 100000 dead (true figure is much higher). Numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited by EU.flag; Jan 22nd 2021 at 11:18 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the vaccination campaign here so far is indeed abysmal. And if shortage of vaccine and poor, over-complex bureaucracy and organisation wasn't bad enough, some health centres are crying scandal that they have now run out of syringes and needles, and unable to rapidly restock.
Who remembers Roselyne Bachelot the French Health Minister 12 years ago, who (with precautionary foresight) ordered up almost 100M vaccines from 4 different suppliers to combat an outbreak against the 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic which was rapidly spreading around the world. However, less than 10% of French population (about 6 million people) had been vaccinated by the end of the winter, and if my memory serves me correctly, the outbreak in France was far less severe than anticipated. As a result the government later canceled over half the flu vaccines ordered to combat the virus, in an effort to head off criticism after reserving too many shots. Just wondering if this 'initially good lesson turned bad' was in the minds of the current government when ordering far from sufficient vaccine doses so far in 2021.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 22nd 2021 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 5:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by EU.flag
On that subject, UK has always been about money, to keep rich people making money.
It was never about humanity and life, as that is incompatible with nationalism.
in few days, UK will reach 100000 dead (true figure is much higher). Numbers speak for themselves.
What load of mumbo jumbo! Are you aware that the U.K. vaccine is being offered free? Not many 'rich people' making a lot of dosh there! As for 'nationalism and humanity' absolute twaddle and makes no sense anyway! Yes the death total may reach a 100.000 but it is approaching that in France and hugely exceeded in other countries, just what does numbers speak for themselves mean? I suggest you join up with Piers Corbyn the two of you would make a right pair!
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 8:27 am
Banned

I just read the health minister's speech in the Senat yesterday. "France has the capacity to vaccinate the whole population by August" He then went on to give figures for each month ; a million here couple of million there! Culminating in a complete vaccination program by August. He then went on to say that he hoped that around 20 million of the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by the summer!!

Now I don't know if a French summer and August is different to anyone else's but to me they are the same! It is completely disingenuous to say they have the capacity to vaccinate everyone by August and then say 'maybe 20 million by the summer. It is little wonder the Government is being heavily criticised. Are we considered to be so stupid and gullible that we are not supposed to see the statement for what it is? In fact I find it quite insulting being , of course, the very sensitive soul that I am!!
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
What load of mumbo jumbo! Are you aware that the U.K. vaccine is being offered free? Not many 'rich people' making a lot of dosh there! As for 'nationalism and humanity' absolute twaddle and makes no sense anyway! Yes the death total may reach a 100.000 but it is approaching that in France and hugely exceeded in other countries, just what does numbers speak for themselves mean? I suggest you join up with Piers Corbyn the two of you would make a right pair!
Still attacking the man and not the ball, I see, but I don't suppose you will ever change.
But you have the wrong end of the stick entirely here. Nobody was saying the UK is charging for the vaccine. The rick people making dosh are the Tory donors who keep being awarded tenders outside of the tender system, there are plenty of factual reports about that online, and putting the economy before human life is, I take it, a reference to the Steve Bannon's mob who call themselves the Covid Recovery Group, again you can read about them on google if you're not familiar with them.
Yesterday the UK was at number 6 in the world in terms of the highest percentage of deaths per capita population, so "hugely exceeded in other countries" might be a tad misleading. I didn't see where France was since it was off the bottom of the page on my screen.

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 9:29 am
Banned

Still attacking the man and not the ball, I see, but I don't suppose you will ever change.
But you have the wrong end of the stick entirely here. Nobody was saying the UK is charging for the vaccine. The rick people making dosh are the Tory donors who keep being awarded tenders outside of the tender system, there are plenty of factual reports about that online, and putting the economy before human life is, I take it, a reference to the Steve Bannon's mob who call themselves the Covid Recovery Group, again you can read about them on google if you're not familiar with them.
Yesterday the UK was at number 6 in the world in terms of the highest percentage of deaths per capita population, so "hugely exceeded in other countries" might be a tad misleading. I didn't see where France was since it was off the bottom of the page on my screen.
I'm afraid you should pay a little more attention to the real world rather than Google! No, it wasn't said the U.K. was charging for the vaccine but that was the implication. And do tell, what is wrong with people being awarded tenders and coming up with the goods? Or is it you just don't like rich people? Nothing misleading about the death rate being hugely exceeded in other countries. It is! As for attacking the man, that's what you do well; albeit in a sly way. Say it how it is and less ambiguity could lead to a reasonable discussion but playing the smart ass never does.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 9:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see where France was since it was off the bottom of the page on my screen.
FWIW, a FB friend posted a chart on 19th January which I'm afraid I can't (= don't know how to) transfer. Out of the "Top 30 countries by Covid-19 death rate" per million people (7 day average) as on 17th January, France was 29th.... The UK was No. 1.....
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
FWIW, a FB friend posted a chart on 19th January which I'm afraid I can't (= don't know how to) transfer. Out of the "Top 30 countries by Covid-19 death rate" per million people (7 day average) as on 17th January, France was 29th.... The UK was No. 1.....
If it helps, look at the European Centre for disease Control. France is just a 1000 deaths a week behind the U.K and gaining! 6550 against 7500. 1st position or 29th not great deal of difference! You know ,I feel sure, that it is getting worse in France. A full lockdown maybe just a few weeks away , after the holiday season of course!! The figures, or statistics, I think, will look a lot different then!
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

France is just a 1000 deaths a week behind the U.K and gaining! 6550 against 7500.
I think your figures may be out of date.
As of today the UK's official figures give total 95,981 deaths and for the last week and a bit it's been averaging over 1 000 new deaths per day, so at this rate it'll soon pass the 100,000 mark.
Over the same period France was recording fewer than 500 deaths per day.
I don't know what maths lead to the conclusion that 500 deaths a day will catch up on 1 000 deaths or that well under 500 a day versus well over 1 000 a day (last week's figures) is only 1 000 a week different.

Figures are just figures but if they're quoted at all, they should be quoted correctly. When the figures are rightt, then they can be twisted into damned lies and statistics - but they need to be right first, otherwise the argument falls flat on its face.

what is wrong with people being awarded tenders and coming up with the goods?France is just a 1000 deaths a week behind the U.K and gaining! 6550 against 7500.
Absolutely nothing. But there's plenty wrong with people being awarded tenders and not coming up with the goods, which is what is happening.
There is also something wrong with the government refusing to disclose where millions of pounds of public money has gone, which is also what's happening. A number of large contracts have been awarded and the government is legally obliged to declare who they've been awarded to but it's refusing. A government that won't be transparent and won't allow scrutiny is inviting people to doubt its integrity.

Or is it you just don't like rich people?
Here we go again... do stop trying to make it personal, because I won't bite. Reasonable discussions should be based on facts and objective reasoning. Personal opinions and preferences and likes and dislikes shouldn't come into it. If I wanted to attack you albeit in a sly way, KJMW, believe me you'd know about it and (being the sensitive soul you are) you would react very badly, and you would be quite justified because I would have been out of order. So I don't, but you don't know how hard I am having to bite my lip here. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just trying to stay polite and civil.

If you insist on getting personal, please take it outside..

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 23rd 2021 at 11:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.