Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anti-Covid vaccinations

Anti-Covid vaccinations

Old Mar 18th 2021, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Covid vaccinations

Just been hearing that the Agence Europeenne du Medicament (EMA) have declared the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe and effective. The French PM confirmed this in an official statement this evening (more than 20mins to get around to announcing this much awaited news). So AZ vaccinations are to be resumed in France from tomorrow (Fri). But given that 3 all-important vaccination days have been lost since Monday, I'm intrigued that vaccinations are not scheduled to be resumed until tomorrow afternoon. Strange, but I assume that this is due to the time required to transmit the necessary paperwork and/or digital information.
Other significant announcement this evening was that there will be a reconfinement in 16 departments from midday Friday for a period of 1 month. Ile-de-France et les Hauts-de-France are the main regions affected.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 18th 2021 at 6:43 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 6:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Just been hearing that the Agence Europeenne du Medicament (EMA) have declared the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe and effective. The French PM confirmed this in an official statement this evening (more than 20mins to get around to announcing this much awaited news). So AZ vaccinations are to be resumed in France from tomorrow (Fri). But given that 3 all-important vaccination days have been lost since Monday, I'm intrigued that vaccinations are not scheduled to be resumed until tomorrow afternoon. Strange, but I assume that this is due to the time required to transmit the necessary paperwork and/or digital information.
Other significant announcement this evening was that there will be a reconfinement in 16 departments from midday Friday for a period of 1 month. Ile-de-France et les Hauts-de-France are the main regions affected.
aaaaah, you beat me to it!
I'll add in the pertinent thread that the curfew will only begin at 19h00 as from this coming Saturday.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Known Aim is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our AZ vaccinations yesterday at our GP’s practice, Dept49. He now gets 20 doses every Wednesday.

Nothing like the slick process all my UK friends talk about there, but at least its done.

Second dose is planned for 26th May - little has been said about extending the interval to 8-weeks, but it makes a lot of sense
Old May 11th 2021, 3:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

After weeks of reticence, I finally allowed my MT to convince me to have the vaccination for "Seniors" (Pfizer), and I had it done today at the nearest Vaccination Centre. No dreaded anaphylactic shock afterwards, and a mere half an hour between arriving and departing. An in-law recommended taking paracetamol for the next couple of days, to help prevent side effects...
2nd vaccination programmed in 6 weeks' time...
Old May 11th 2021, 5:52 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
After weeks of reticence, I finally allowed my MT to convince me to have the vaccination for "Seniors" (Pfizer), and I had it done today at the nearest Vaccination Centre. No dreaded anaphylactic shock afterwards, and a mere half an hour between arriving and departing. An in-law recommended taking paracetamol for the next couple of days, to help prevent side effects...
2nd vaccination programmed in 6 weeks' time...
Well Done !
I had a sore arm for 24 hours, and I didn't take any paracetamol.
Old May 12th 2021, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Annetje
Well Done !
I had a sore arm for 24 hours, and I didn't take any paracetamol.
So far, I've just got a sore arm. I'm not continuing the paracetamol today, as another in-law has said that this preventive measure is fake news/twaddle. I'll probably need some, though, due to the head-ache trying to be diplomatic between the two conflicting opinions....
Old May 12th 2021, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I was lucky but had no sore arm after the 1st A-Z vaccination.
I recall reading that, "You may also have flu-like symptoms with episodes of shivering and shaking for a day or two." I assumed that everyone in France experienced those shivering and shaking episodes after their regular Ricard & Absynthe daily cocktails and Armagnac nightcaps……
My 2nd vaccination was mentioned for approx mid May, but having called the doctor's assistant yesterday it's looking more like the end of May, if they receive adequate vaccine stocks.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 12th 2021 at 7:26 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 7:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

An update on my personal experience.
I had my second Pfizer injection yesterday (in and out within 25 minutes), have duly taken Paracetamol since then, and the only "side effect" so far is a sore arm. Compared to the average national reaction to the Pfizer, DDs consider me "hors normes", more likely translated as abnormal....
I'm celebrating my "protection" by going away for a few days soon, but will continue to take precautions.
As an aside, Government messages are advising vaccinated people to continue to take the usual precautions, but not explaining why. Namely it still hasn't been proved or disproved whether vaccinated people can be carriers, and IMO they should admit this, to give weight to their "recommendations".
P.S. The injection didn't last 25 minutes!
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 7:56 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
An update on my personal experience.
I had my second Pfizer injection yesterday (in and out within 25 minutes), have duly taken Paracetamol since then, and the only "side effect" so far is a sore arm. Compared to the average national reaction to the Pfizer, DDs consider me "hors normes", more likely translated as abnormal....
I'm celebrating my "protection" by going away for a few days soon, but will continue to take precautions.
As an aside, Government messages are advising vaccinated people to continue to take the usual precautions, but not explaining why. Namely it still hasn't been proved or disproved whether vaccinated people can be carriers, and IMO they should admit this, to give weight to their "recommendations".
P.S. The injection didn't last 25 minutes!
Well done !
I've had both Pfizer, last one last Tuesday, and had no side effect at all (apart from sore arm for 24 hours).
I didn't take any paracetamol since the nurse told me only to take it if I did have a bad reaction.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well done !
I've had both Pfizer, last one last Tuesday, and had no side effect at all (apart from sore arm for 24 hours).
I didn't take any paracetamol since the nurse told me only to take it if I did have a bad reaction.
I had my 3rd jab yesterday (Pfizer) and completely forgot about taking paracetamol by way of prevention! 24 hrs later, no side effect at all except for the sore arm...

I'm using this thread to say that the PM and the Health Minister gave a Press Conference yesterday, mainly on vaccinations for children and the need to continue the "gestes sanitaires" rules. I won't go into details, as those with children will know what's happening in their schools. Likewise those going skiing will find out what to expect at the ski stations, and, for those who go to night-clubs, your venue will be closing this Friday for 4 weeks.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Fwiw, Mme TP and myself had our #3 jab just over a week ago. Over a month ago we'd gone into a local pharmacie and asked if it was possible to administer 'on the spot'. They checked to see how long since we'd been previously jabbed, confimed that was ok, and put us down for an appointment for late Nov when they expected additional vaccines.
On the specific date we went along and the vaccination was completed and updated pass-sanitaire provided. So in the words of John Inman, "I'm Free!"
Interestingly enough we commented on the way home that we'd both "felt the needle" (which neither of us had with the previous 2 jabs performed elsewhere), and we both remained with a sore arm for 2 days afterwards. So I would guess that if the needle doesn't hit a specific 'correct' spot one can expect very slight discomfort afterwards.
Although do realise that even vaccinated one doesn't have total 100% protection, but I now feel far more serene than those unvaccinated.
On a rapid political note, there was a mass meeting over the weekend in Paris with an estimated 13k people attending. It received live tv coverage and one could see a large majority of attendees packed shoulder to shoulder either wearing no protective masks, or with them around their necks providing no protection whatsoever. Interesting to see another presidential candidate had planned an important meeting (I believe for this week), but in view of the current Covid situation she has now cancelled it. Definitely food for some wise thoughts.....
Old Dec 8th 2021, 11:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Fwiw, Mme TP and myself had our #3 jab just over a week ago. Over a month ago we'd gone into a local pharmacie and asked if it was possible to administer 'on the spot'. They checked to see how long since we'd been previously jabbed, confimed that was ok, and put us down for an appointment for late Nov when they expected additional vaccines.
On the specific date we went along and the vaccination was completed and updated pass-sanitaire provided. So in the words of John Inman, "I'm Free!"
Interestingly enough we commented on the way home that we'd both "felt the needle" (which neither of us had with the previous 2 jabs performed elsewhere), and we both remained with a sore arm for 2 days afterwards. So I would guess that if the needle doesn't hit a specific 'correct' spot one can expect very slight discomfort afterwards.
Although do realise that even vaccinated one doesn't have total 100% protection, but I now feel far more serene than those unvaccinated.
On a rapid political note, there was a mass meeting over the weekend in Paris with an estimated 13k people attending. It received live tv coverage and one could see a large majority of attendees packed shoulder to shoulder either wearing no protective masks, or with them around their necks providing no protection whatsoever. Interesting to see another presidential candidate had planned an important meeting (I believe for this week), but in view of the current Covid situation she has now cancelled it. Definitely food for some wise thoughts.....
Talking of "feeling the needle", I didn't feel it at all, as I knew the nurse and, while we were exchanging news, it was in and out before I knew it. The same when I had my anti-flu jab, and only a slight prick for a blood test. One reason for not going to the pharmacie for vaccinations, since IDEs know exactly where to aim....
Old Dec 9th 2021, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Talking of "feeling the needle", I didn't feel it at all, as I knew the nurse and, while we were exchanging news, it was in and out before I knew it. The same when I had my anti-flu jab, and only a slight prick for a blood test. One reason for not going to the pharmacie for vaccinations, since IDEs know exactly where to aim....
All this talk of 'feeling the needle'. I thought the following was just too good to pass up.......
Old Dec 11th 2021, 1:58 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

My Belgian brother who doesn't live in France was in a shopping centre in Bordeaux this morning; He noticed a walk in vaccination place and, since in Belgium the system is to wait till you get called, decided to ask if he could get his 3rd vaccin there.
He is now the proud owner of 3 vaccinations, 2 were done in France. His doctor in Belgium will put this 3rd one on his vaccin pass and all is done !
Old Dec 12th 2021, 7:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Belgian brother who doesn't live in France was in a shopping centre in Bordeaux this morning; He noticed a walk in vaccination place and, since in Belgium the system is to wait till you get called, decided to ask if he could get his 3rd vaccin there.
He is now the proud owner of 3 vaccinations, 2 were done in France. His doctor in Belgium will put this 3rd one on his vaccin pass and all is done !
Good for him!