Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

another daft question, but medical this time

another daft question, but medical this time

Old Jul 18th 2019, 5:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default another daft question, but medical this time

I'm starting radiotherapy and was advised to look for some one who can "couper le feu" if things get too hot. It's something I've not come across before and in fact I've discovered that two acquaintances have got this gift, so I'm all set if I need this "service". Apparently it also works for shingles...
The daft question is, what is it called in English, or is it unheard-of in Anglophone countries?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another daft question, but medical this time

I believe you'll find the English expression is Talking Out The Fire, which is a form of faith healing. Also sometimes known as Blowing out Fire, or Breathing out Fire. It's alleged to work for shingles, warts, thrush etc.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 18th 2019 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

faith healers for effects of radiotherapy? WTF?. Wish you well dmu.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
faith healers for effects of radiotherapy? WTF?. Wish you well dmu.

I hear what you're saying, and generally no one is more skeptical than myself. But.......read on.

Mme TP required radiotherapy and curiethérapie some 8 years ago. Everything went pretty well, with none too serious side affects.
However she tells me that some hospitals now after radiotherapy (and especially curiethérapie) suggest that patients are treated by a magnetiseur / guérisseur (faith healer) when suffering from a burning sensation. As far as I gather these 'healers' are said to have this gift handed down from generation to generation. I've always been skeptical of these practitioners and thought that 90% or so are charlatans, but obviously some official medical establishments now seriously believe otherwise.
Also if one speaks to many French people, they will tell you they know someone in the family who has been successfully treated by a magnetiseurs/guérisseur. Years ago I too would have lol at this, but now if suffering from something similar I wouldn't hesitate to get treatment from someone who (of course) came strongly recommended.
Some hospitals here have started successfully treating surgical patients with hypnosis rather than general anesthesia. This too would have been laughed at just a few years ago. And invisible pictures flying through the air, i.e. television. Isn't that just as incredible?
And no, I still don't believe in ghosts or Father Christmas.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 18th 2019 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 9:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I hear what you're saying, and generally no one is more skeptical than myself. But.......read on.

Mme TP required radiotherapy and curiethérapie some 8 years ago. Everything went pretty well, with none too serious side affects.
However she tells me that some hospitals now after radiotherapy (and especially curiethérapie) suggest that patients are treated by a magnetiseur / guérisseur (faith healer) when suffering from a burning sensation. As far as I gather these 'healers' are said to have this gift handed down from generation to generation. I've always been skeptical of these practitioners and thought that 90% or so are charlatans, but obviously some official medical establishments now seriously believe otherwise.
Also if one speaks to many French people, they will tell you they know someone in the family who has been successfully treated by a magnetiseurs/guérisseur. Years ago I too would have lol at this, but now if suffering from something similar I wouldn't hesitate to get treatment from someone who (of course) came strongly recommended.
Some hospitals here have started successfully treating surgical patients with hypnosis rather than general anesthesia. This too would have been laughed at just a few years ago. And invisible pictures flying through the air, i.e. television. Isn't that just as incredible?
And no, I still don't believe in ghosts or Father Christmas.
The Doctor and Nurse at the Centre both advised me to look for such a Guerisseur, which rather surprised me. I, too, am usually very skeptical where faith healing is concerned, but different people have recommended my two acquaintances and I'm willing to have a try if the burning sensation gets too much.
Thanks for the expressions in English although I'm not sure I'm going to tell my English family!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not at all surprised. We had one such healer in our hameau and when Grandpabunz began to suffer from seriously bad exzema he was advised by everyone to consult him. No one could be less of a believer or more sceptical but. After just one session his skin calmed down, within a week it was clear and it has never returned.

At the moment a good freind has undergone chemo and now radio and she too was advised by the hospital to consult a specific healer. She did so and she has more or less sailed through the treatment.
All the very best to you DMU. I hope you find a good one.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DMU, I too wish you all the best for your treatment.
If you should have the need to consult a guerisseur, avoid any with bones through their nose, or others resembling those in the following article.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 5:41 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
DMU, I too wish you all the best for your treatment.
If you should have the need to consult a guerisseur, avoid any with bones through their nose, or others resembling those in the following article.

Neither of my ladies has got visible tattoos or oddly-located piercings, but I'll watch out all the same.....
Old Jul 20th 2019, 10:15 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu

Neither of my ladies has got visible tattoos or oddly-located piercings, but I'll watch out all the same.....
Best wishes for your treatment !
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 9:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DMU, just also wanted to wish you all the best with your treatment.
xx
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 9:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you all for your kind thoughts!
So far, so good....
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I finished my radiotherapy this morning, with no other side effect than a slightly reddened skin. No burning sensation, and I like to believe that this was due to my guerisseuse remotely talking out the fire via a photograph, during the actual sessions. I'll heartily recommend such "help", provided the healer is known to be bona fide.
As an aside, in the case of shingles, it's indispensable to consult one right from the beginning, as soon as it's diagnosed. Apparently they can't do anything once the pain really gets going....
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:37 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I finished my radiotherapy this morning, with no other side effect than a slightly reddened skin. No burning sensation, and I like to believe that this was due to my guerisseuse remotely talking out the fire via a photograph, during the actual sessions. I'll heartily recommend such "help", provided the healer is known to be bona fide.
As an aside, in the case of shingles, it's indispensable to consult one right from the beginning, as soon as it's diagnosed. Apparently they can't do anything once the pain really gets going....

Glad your OK..... ;-)
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Hope your recovery goes well.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's great news DMU. Hope things continue well for as long as possible.

@Pica,
I've made a 'Pica' voodoo doll resembling your avatar, and started sticking pins in it. Go and seek treatment from a recommended faith healer asap to ensure that your burning pains will not be too severe. And pls report back to us.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.