British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   American War Cemetery at Omaha Beach (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/american-war-cemetery-omaha-beach-779600/)

BrianP367 Nov 2nd 2012 3:54 pm

Cemetery at Normandy

Hello. My name is Brian and I live in the U.S. I need a huge favor if anyone is going to the cemetery at Normandy. My Grandmothers first husband died at Normandy. We probably will never get the chance to go to France so i would like to ask if anyone could take a picture of his headstone & e-mail it to me.
His name is Baxter Stafford G he is in PLOT J ROW 11 GRAVE 6
I would be eternally grateful.

cjm Nov 2nd 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by BrianP367 (Post 10362752)
Hello. My name is Brian and I live in the U.S. I need a huge favor if anyone is going to the cemetery at Normandy. My Grandmothers first husband died at Normandy. We probably will never get the chance to go to France so i would like to ask if anyone could take a picture of his headstone & e-mail it to me.

Hi Brian, sadly I am way south, but there are many helpful people on this site, so good luck with your search.

Ka Ora! Nov 2nd 2012 6:09 pm

Im moving in that direction and will be happy to, Wont be for a few weeks/month or two mind.

Welcome to the Forum;)

dmu Nov 2nd 2012 8:44 pm

Hi, I'm sorry I live much too far away, too, but can you give the name of the Cemetery? There are several U.S. Military Cemeteries in Normandy and if a BE member lives near the right one (or happens to visit it), they'll be glad to take a photo for you.:)

dmu Nov 2nd 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 10363002)
Im moving in that direction and will be happy to, Wont be for a few weeks/month or two mind.

Welcome to the Forum;)

We're not going to be (relatively) near neighbours, then?;)

EuroTrash Nov 3rd 2012 7:16 am

Re: Cemetery at Normandy

Hi - Do you mean the American war cemetery at Omaha Beach? There are others but that's the big one.

Tweedpipe Nov 3rd 2012 11:26 am

BrianP367,
If it is the Omaha Beach cemetery you refer to, there is an interesting virtual tour which may be of general interest to you at the following link:
http://www2.normandie-tourisme.fr/VR...ages_dday.html
The controls allow for the pan view to be slowed down, reversed etc, and also viewed full-screen which is particularly impressive.

Ka Ora! Nov 3rd 2012 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 10363213)
We're not going to be (relatively) near neighbours, then?;)

No "I can hear the sigh of relief" we have had a slight change in direction.

BrianP367 Nov 3rd 2012 12:54 pm

I believe it is the American war cemetery at Omaha Beach.
It has almost 10,000 graves & covers 172 acres.
According to the burial list this has to be the correct cemetery.

BrianP367 Nov 3rd 2012 12:57 pm

Re: Update Cemetery at Normandy

Pistolpete2 Nov 3rd 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 10363772)
Hi - Do you mean the American war cemetery at Omaha Beach? There are others but that's the big one.

Baxter Stafford G is listed on this from The American Cemetery in Normandy, at St Laurent-sur-Mer:

http://www.dday0606.org/normandy-sorted-names.pdf

EuroTrash Nov 3rd 2012 1:03 pm

Well Brian I live in Normandy but unfortunately not that part! but I do sometimes go up there. Next time I do (which probably won't be until March I'm afraid), I will come back to this thread and check whether your request has been met. Hopefully you will have your images by then but if not, I'll definitely do it for you. So please keep this thread updated.

Novocastrian Nov 3rd 2012 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by BrianP367 (Post 10364070)

When I'm in France, I live very near to there. I'll next be in the neighbourhood in late January. I'd be happy to take the photo if no-one else volunteers before then.

BrianP367 Nov 5th 2012 5:18 pm

I am grateful for all the comments. To keep from bothering everyone about this, I will post this once a month to remind everyone & update everyone.
Thank you,
Brian.:D

cjm Nov 5th 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by BrianP367 (Post 10367353)
I am grateful for all the comments. To keep from bothering everyone about this, I will post this once a month to remind everyone & update everyone.
Thank you,
Brian.:D

Brian - you are not bothering anyone on this site. If someone can help you, they will, yes, myself included. Others are better placed. Share what you need here.