Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

To all people thinking or have recently moved to France

To all people thinking or have recently moved to France

Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:28 am
Just Joined

The Rustons will become famous soon enoughThe Rustons will become famous soon enough
Smile To all people thinking or have recently moved to France

HI,

Well after weeks of looking on the internet, and reading books. I am completly confused ! This is a cry for help !
I have lots of info, but now i am in over load my head feels like it is going to burst !
So much to do ?
We are coming over shortly to look at some property, then what how does the housing market work in France ? is it like Englands ?
We have got a good idea what we want do to when we arrive. Its just getting there !
SO any one who has done the move recently or in the middle of it your experience, or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all people thinking or have recently moved to France

Originally Posted by The Rustons
HI,

Well after weeks of looking on the internet, and reading books. I am completly confused ! This is a cry for help !
I have lots of info, but now i am in over load my head feels like it is going to burst !
So much to do ?
We are coming over shortly to look at some property, then what how does the housing market work in France ? is it like Englands ?
We have got a good idea what we want do to when we arrive. Its just getting there !
SO any one who has done the move recently or in the middle of it your experience, or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Hi there
sounds as if you are going to be busy. There is always lots to do and sort out when you move. Do a search of the forum and you should find the answer to most of the things you will come across.
A good website to look at regarding buying a house in France is the notaires
http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/nota...GLISH-HOMEPAGE
it is in English, and explains pretty well the procedure.
It's not the same as in UK, so make sure you know exactly what happens once you make an offer. Again, explained in detail on the notaires webpage. They also list property for sale. We bought our first house in France from the notaire, and didn't use an estate agent (immobillier). One other thing to remember is that the buyer pays the commission for the house in France, who ever you buy it from. This is usually included in the asking price.
Sure you will have many more questions, but there are plenty of people on here who can help. Good luck with the move
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:22 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

So much to do ?
My advice would be to find other British people out here when you come and ask them directly. People are happy to share their experiences. Ask around where they meet and go there. Head for markets and the cafe with the most sun!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

After a while you can mostly tell the Brits from the dutch and the French by their appearance
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:51 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
After a while you can mostly tell the Brits from the dutch and the French by their appearance
The Brits and the Dutch keep appearing
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Not so many Brits at present - conditions are a bit too unsettled.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

cazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: To all people thinking or have recently moved to France

HI,

So much to do ?
hi the rustons my husband & probably came over from the channel islands 15 times before we bought from our point be sure you like the area you are in i would say if you take a liking to the area look in local notairs office were in brittany for us its ideal we can soon get back for children& grandchildren we also bought of the internet on twice to find the propertys were sold before we arrived if you have an area in mind or perhaps somewhere you have been a few times which you realy have tacken a liking to if you dont speak french look into help with expats we find the expats here are very helpfull the french system is very slow also you are probably inheritance is differant in france i dont know if you both are working or retired but if you still have to make a living we found it very difficult not speeking french they dont seem to employ the english not here anyway but dont let me put you of the french people as you know are lovely people good luck regards cazer