British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Algarve > UK Driving Route via France / Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/algarve-uk-driving-route-via-france-spain-927899/)

oysterleeds Sep 15th 2019 9:02 am

Algarve > UK Driving Route via France / Spain

Hi all. I'm driving from the Algarve to the UK and I'd like to drive the majority of the journey, through Spain and France (and catch the Calais > Dover ferry).

Rather than doing it as quickly as possible, I'd like to do the journey over 5 or 6 days and so am looking for an itinerary that passes through the 2 countries and takes in some beautiful scenery, stop off in some nice cities/towns/villages along the way and enjoy some nice food and drink - perhaps doing about 4 or 5 hours of driving per day.

On our drive down we drove from Santander to the Algarve, via Salamanca and Seville, so would ideally like to do something new. Had toyed with the idea of going across to Granadaand up the west coast to Barcelona, Monpellier and Lyon, but that said, maybe Madrid, San Sebastian and Bordeaux would be nice too?

If anyone has any suitable itineraries or just general suggestions, then that'd be really useful - it's all a bit overwhelming!

dmu Sep 15th 2019 10:24 am

Re: Algarve > UK Driving Route via France / Spain

Originally Posted by oysterleeds (Post 12735625)
Hi all. I'm driving from the Algarve to the UK and I'd like to drive the majority of the journey, through Spain and France (and catch the Calais > Dover ferry).

Rather than doing it as quickly as possible, I'd like to do the journey over 5 or 6 days and so am looking for an itinerary that passes through the 2 countries and takes in some beautiful scenery, stop off in some nice cities/towns/villages along the way and enjoy some nice food and drink - perhaps doing about 4 or 5 hours of driving per day.

On our drive down we drove from Santander to the Algarve, via Salamanca and Seville, so would ideally like to do something new. Had toyed with the idea of going across to Granadaand up the west coast to Barcelona, Monpellier and Lyon, but that said, maybe Madrid, San Sebastian and Bordeaux would be nice too?

If anyone has any suitable itineraries or just general suggestions, then that'd be really useful - it's all a bit overwhelming!

Hi again! In addition to the scenic A75 mentioned in your Spain post, you could also try the Autoroute going up from Toulouse through the Périgord to Limoges and further north. Loads of beautiful places (invisible from the Autoroute) to visit on the way. Anything to avoid the boring (and busy) A9 after Béziers and subsequent autoroute towards Lyon....

Annetje Sep 15th 2019 2:05 pm

Re: Algarve > UK Driving Route via France / Spain

Originally Posted by oysterleeds (Post 12735625)

We once drove back to France via Porto and then turned right and took all little roads to the Biarritz border, including some off road experiences (with a Renault 5) ...
That was our most enjoyable trip ! (Untill we got stopped at the border and had to pay hard cash to get our passports back, but that's a detail).