Reload this Page >

Aix en Provence - Bilingual Schools

Aix en Provence - Bilingual Schools

Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

titiaphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aix en Provence - Bilingual Schools

Hello,

We are a french family living in the US. We are moving near Aix this summer. My oldest will be going to IBS to study for the IB.

I cannot afford to put all my kids in IBS and so I am looking for a bilingual school for my middle schoolers. They speak french but lack a lot in writing skills. They have been going to a public american school for the last 5 years.

College Mignet doesn't have space for them so I am looking at College Jacques Monod with the international section or Ecole Privee Val Saint Andre.

Can anybody give me info on those two schools.?

I am afraid that College Monod might be a big school with small groups for international section but then big classes for the rest of the day... What is the atmosphere there? How are the teachers? We like the way american teachers are always patient and positive.

Val Saint Andre? Cannot find much info on the school. I like its small size but it does have a cost for 3 children. I want to make sure that the level of the school and of the english courses justify the price.

If you know of the other schools, I am all ears.
Thank you,

Laetitia :-)
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aix en Provence - Bilingual Schools

Originally Posted by titiaphil
Hello,

We are a french family living in the US. We are moving near Aix this summer. My oldest will be going to IBS to study for the IB.

I cannot afford to put all my kids in IBS and so I am looking for a bilingual school for my middle schoolers. They speak french but lack a lot in writing skills. They have been going to a public american school for the last 5 years.

College Mignet doesn't have space for them so I am looking at College Jacques Monod with the international section or Ecole Privee Val Saint Andre.

Can anybody give me info on those two schools.?

I am afraid that College Monod might be a big school with small groups for international section but then big classes for the rest of the day... What is the atmosphere there? How are the teachers? We like the way american teachers are always patient and positive.

Val Saint Andre? Cannot find much info on the school. I like its small size but it does have a cost for 3 children. I want to make sure that the level of the school and of the english courses justify the price.

If you know of the other schools, I am all ears.
Thank you,

Laetitia :-)
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can't help personally, but how old are your "middle-schoolers" (US expression!)? Any younger than about 10 could go to State Primaire and pick up writing skills quickly, but pre-teens and teens do pose problems, as you've realised, since they must write essays in French in all the subjects in Collège/Lycée.
You could help the transition, whichever schools they go to, by studying French history, literature, even French-biassed geography, with them before you leave for France.
Good luck, and if we can help with other issues, don't hesitate to ask! Obviously you'll have fewer questions than your average "expat" arriving in France, but some aspects have changed since you were living here.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.
My kids will enter 6eme, 4eme and 3eme (ages 11, 12 and 14)
So you're right, difficult age.
I don't want to put them in public schools until they have the right level in french. I know that going fron the American to the french system is really tough on kids, which is why I am trying to find them a smooth and gentler transition 🙂
Old Apr 10th 2018, 3:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I did this the other way round... and I totally agree that the transition into french school will be difficult.

Have you asked on 'francais du monde" forum about handling this?
also what about CNED? (Académie en ligne : tous les cours de l'année en accès gratuit)
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:34 am
Banned

Mattsvb is an unknown quantity at this point

An international school that is quite famous in Aix en provence is IBS of PROVENCE - International Private Bilingual School or Private School Val Saint André
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattsvb
An international school that is quite famous in Aix en provence is IBS of PROVENCE - International Private Bilingual School or Private School Val Saint André
The OP mentioned them both in #1 and was asking for info about the latter.
I suspect that no one on BE has had personal experience of sending their children to any of the schools...
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.
I have the CNED but it is hard getting 3 kids to work on it properly... and it will never be enough for entry in a french school.

The private school Saint André seems like a good fit, I guess I was hoping someone had heard about it to confirm 🙂 or warn me before I send my checks 😅... I really can't find much about it online.

Thank you and I can't wait to go back to beautiful Provence!

Laetitia