Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Advice on setting up a business in France please?

Advice on setting up a business in France please?

Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Steve Tustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on setting up a business in France please?

I have a house in France but currently live in the UK. We would dearly love to move out there full time so we are looking at potential ways of doing so. Two questions:

1) Let's say that I decide to set up a business making stocks, soups and sauces etc. that I will then sell on markets and maybe even into stores. How difficult is it to do that? Are there the same levels of bureaucracy and legislation that exist in the UK?

2) Is there a website somewhere that explains all this kind of thing?

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Eddiebabie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Advice on setting up a business in France please?

Originally Posted by Steve Tustin
I have a house in France but currently live in the UK. We would dearly love to move out there full time so we are looking at potential ways of doing so. Two questions:

1) Let's say that I decide to set up a business making stocks, soups and sauces etc. that I will then sell on markets and maybe even into stores. How difficult is it to do that? Are there the same levels of bureaucracy and legislation that exist in the UK?

Thanks

Steve
Steve,

Not sure about lots of Red tape in the UK, Apparently it's a hell of a lot easier in the UK. Me I decided to do it here in France as I'm settled now. You can check out the basic info here www.apce.com There is a version in English, that explains all. It helps if you are good at speaking French for sure, people will listen to you more. You can consult companies that will listen to your business plan, then give you advise, their opinion, if it has some potential etc. I used the 'RILE'. For sure find yourself a trusted accountant too. You will pay more taxes here in France when you get going, than the UK. Yet if you become resident you don't have so much choice. It can get complicated. Here in France you get more benifits if you ever run into trouble that's partly why we pay more taxes. As soon as you get your dossier approved by the DDTEPP and you are in the system expect to get loads of letters, welcoming you and offering their services. This is where your trusted accountant can help. France is on the change. Private businesses are now a revolution here. Well good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:05 pm
TW1
Just Joined

TW1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on setting up a business in France please?

Hi Steve,

I have a business here in France for the last 4 years and yes there is a alot more red tape and taxes are very high depending on what sort of enterprise you register under.

Look at the www.angloinfo.com website there is a lot of info on setting up a bussiness in France - wish I had seen this before I started but you live and learn

Good luck
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TW1
Hi Steve,

I have a business here in France for the last 4 years and yes there is a alot more red tape and taxes are very high depending on what sort of enterprise you register under.

Look at the www.angloinfo.com website there is a lot of info on setting up a bussiness in France - wish I had seen this before I started but you live and learn

Good luck
Most small businesses go bust before their 3rd year. Something to consider. A builder friend of mine has a turnover of around 200K per annum and takes home just below 30K (euros). He works all the hours and has to pay 4000 euros in cotisations (mostly medical insurance). He's still going after 4 years, but only just. Please think very carefully and do LOADS of research. I'm an artist and it is different for us as we register with Maison d'Artistes and taxes and cotisations are much lower. So, if all else fails, start painting!

I've written an article on my life here in France which may be of interest to you. Here's the link http://www.frenchentree.com/tarn-ave...e.asp?ID=23962. My builder friend also writes articles about his life in France and you can find one called Taxing Times on the same French Entree site. Lots of luck.

Last edited by herbie; Mar 26th 2007 at 4:16 am. Reason: sent before I was ready!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

thisisitimhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Advice on setting up a business in France please?

Hi steve
we have just opened up out business in france, its really hard to do, you need to contact the chamber of commerce in the region you are thinking of moving to, you have to experience it to believe it,

good luck
you are going to need it
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:56 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Tustin

Thanks

Steve
I can't resist adding to this thread. The paperwork is a nightmare! That's it. A nightmare. The situation is so much easier in the UK hence the 250,000 French people who come to the UK to get away from it all. Good luck though as the French respect the British entrepreneurial (?) spirit.

Helpful Eh!