British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Advice needed on selling a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/advice-needed-selling-car-930403/)

Vinosity Jan 15th 2020 6:29 pm

Advice needed on selling a car

Hello everyone.

I need some advice on the logistics of selling my car.

I am having to relocate very quickly, as I have a contract in South America that needs me to start ASAP. Honestly, I cannot see myself moving back to France, as my clients are now elsewhere; and the Brexity gift that keeps on giving.

I will be leaving my car with a good friend, who will sell it on my behalf. Obviously, I won't be around to sign the CG over to the new owner.

Any idea what I need to do in this situation?

Thank you in advance.

KJMW Jan 16th 2020 6:17 am

Re: Advice needed on selling a car

Originally Posted by Vinosity (Post 12790203)
Hello everyone.

I am having to relocate very quickly, as I have a contract in South America that needs me to start ASAP. Honestly, I cannot see myself moving back to France, as my clients are now elsewhere; and the Brexity gift that keeps on giving.

I will be leaving my car with a good friend, who will sell it on my behalf. Obviously, I won't be around to sign the CG over to the new owner.

Thank you in advance.

I suppose you could sign the car over to your friend before you leave. He then sells it and forwards the money. How much do you trust him?

Vinosity Jan 16th 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12790362)
I suppose you could sign the car over to your friend before you leave. He then sells it and forwards the money. How much do you trust him?

I trust him implicitly, so that is an option, I suppose.

Keeping up the insurance payments is going to be a bit of a kicker for me though.

south_bound Jan 16th 2020 7:32 am

Formally signing over the car to your friend will incur costs for a new Carte Gris in his name which I guess you want to avoid. You could sign the carte in advance and get him to add the date and time when it is actually sold as a work-around. Otherwise, there are auto mandataires (car garages) who sell on your behalf i.e. they don't directly buy the car from you to sell on, but advertise and find the buyer for you and handle the paperwork for a fee - less hassle but with a cost. What car is it and where are you - there might be some takers on here if that's allowed by the forum policy.

Tweedpipe Jan 16th 2020 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Vinosity (Post 12790203)
Hello everyone.

Thank you in advance.

I believe a trusted friend can acheive this but it's certainly not without a fair amount of hassle. If you decide to hire a professional in the auto sector, the mandate would generally not be f.o.c. In this case, the power of attorney must specify that the agent will receive remuneration.
If using a trusted friend as power of attorney there would generally be no charge. Firstly he/she would need to provide a 'Procuration pour la vente d'un voiture'. He should find a copy of the format required on-line. This should be completed with full details required. A 'Certificate de non-gage' is also acheived on-line, which confirms to the buyer that the vehicle is free of any outstanding loans. Following this, once a buyer has been found, a Certificate de Cession (transfer certificate) should be completed and signed by both parties.
The last time I sold a vehicle here the Certificate de Cession was cerfa#13754 which I believe has now been simplified and re-issued under a newer cerfa number.
I've sold 2 vehicles here, and each time have personally been involved. The above procedure using a friend as power of attorney complicates the procedure somewhat.

Listen Very Carefully Jan 16th 2020 4:17 pm

Two options IMO
Firstly you and your friend go together to local garage which is Carte Grise agrée or somewhere like Cartaplac/Feu Vert/Roady where they will deal with the transfer immediately Obviously you will need to have all your documents and your friend will need valid insurance and driving licence and you will need a Controle Technique less than 6 months old if the car is 4yrs old
OR
Sell it via a website such as www.vendezvotrevoiture.fr (other websites are available)
http://www.service-public.fr/particu...osdroits/F1707 which gives the adminprocedures

petitefrancaise Jan 18th 2020 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12790567)
I believe a trusted friend can acheive this but it's certainly not without a fair amount of hassle. If you decide to hire a professional in the auto sector, the mandate would generally not be f.o.c. In this case, the power of attorney must specify that the agent will receive remuneration.
If using a trusted friend as power of attorney there would generally be no charge. Firstly he/she would need to provide a 'Procuration pour la vente d'un voiture'. He should find a copy of the format required on-line. This should be completed with full details required. A 'Certificate de non-gage' is also acheived on-line, which confirms to the buyer that the vehicle is free of any outstanding loans. Following this, once a buyer has been found, a Certificate de Cession (transfer certificate) should be completed and signed by both parties.
The last time I sold a vehicle here the Certificate de Cession was cerfa#13754 which I believe has now been simplified and re-issued under a newer cerfa number.
I've sold 2 vehicles here, and each time have personally been involved. The above procedure using a friend as power of attorney complicates the procedure somewhat.

we did this with our car. Wasn't a hassle and our friend was happy to do it.

Vinosity Jan 19th 2020 10:44 am

Thanks everyone.

As it happens, I have found a dealer in the UK that is willing to buy the car immediately; and will deal with all the paperwork.

Will definitely get less for it than in France. However, I will not need to drive it back 1,500km, hence incurring the additional fuel and toll charges; and the whole matter will be cleared from my mind.

Definitely a much better option for me, given the very tight timescale I have to work with.