Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Advice on living in Oise area (or other areas in rail commuting distance of Paris)

Advice on living in Oise area (or other areas in rail commuting distance of Paris)

Old Mar 24th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Advice on living in Oise area (or other areas in rail commuting distance of Paris)

My husband has a work opportunity in Paris but we don't think we will be able to afford nice housing in the city itself.

We only know Paris from holidays but these were always spent in the city itself, in Montmartre. Unfortunately we do not know the outlying areas at all. Nevertheless, we've done some research and Chantilly, Pont Sainte Maxence and Senlis seem really nice from what we can see online.

Does anyone know these areas and what the daily commute by train might be like?

Also, if they are liveable areas, would anyone be able to advise us on primary schools for our two children (aged 8 and 5) and on integration for foreign children? Our children are used to moving around a lot with us, but to date have attended international schools. My husband would be taking a salary cut so we would not be able to afford an international education in Paris. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

We're quite a young, alternative-minded family, so anything that you think might be attractive to us would be fabulous! We did see that this was happening near Pont Sainte Maxence, and it's very much our kind of thing!
http://ritabanerjee.wordpress.com/20...iting-retreat/

My husband's also a surfer but I don't think he'll be getting much in on the Seine or Oise!

Thank you in advance and apologies if this has already been covered before!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:48 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on living in Oise area (or other areas in rail commuting distance of Paris

Originally Posted by Emmis
My husband has a work opportunity in Paris but we don't think we will be able to afford nice housing in the city itself.

We only know Paris from holidays but these were always spent in the city itself, in Montmartre. Unfortunately we do not know the outlying areas at all. Nevertheless, we've done some research and Chantilly, Pont Sainte Maxence and Senlis seem really nice from what we can see online.

Does anyone know these areas and what the daily commute by train might be like?

Also, if they are liveable areas, would anyone be able to advise us on primary schools for our two children (aged 8 and 5) and on integration for foreign children? Our children are used to moving around a lot with us, but to date have attended international schools. My husband would be taking a salary cut so we would not be able to afford an international education in Paris. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

We're quite a young, alternative-minded family, so anything that you think might be attractive to us would be fabulous! We did see that this was happening near Pont Sainte Maxence, and it's very much our kind of thing!
http://ritabanerjee.wordpress.com/20...iting-retreat/

My husband's also a surfer but I don't think he'll be getting much in on the Seine or Oise!

Thank you in advance and apologies if this has already been covered before!
Welcome to the Section can't help with Paris but give me a shout if you get any other issues.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice on living in Oise area (or other areas in rail commuting distance of Paris

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Section can't help with Paris but give me a shout if you get any other issues.
Crikey - you almost made me burst into tears! I've been posting on other forums and have had so much brusque response.

Thank you so much just for replying in such a nice way!

As I said on another forum, we're not expats on a large relocation package, unfortunately, and don't have any help from a company - we move on our own backs. The project has come to an end for my husband where we're currently living so we have to take the next opportunity - and it happens to be in Paris...

We're under no illusions. Daily life will not be romantic walks along the Seine. I'm actually quite worried as most of the cities we've lived in have been incredibly liveable. We've never lived in London and the prospect of living in Paris scares me in much the same way.

At the moment we're looking at this through very grey spectacles but with the current work climate we might not have any other choice.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 1:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey - you almost made me burst into tears! I've been posting on other forums and have had so much brusque response.

As I said on another forum, we're not expats on a large relocation package, unfortunately, and don't have any help from a company - we move on our own backs. The project has come to an end for my husband where we're currently living so we have to take the next opportunity - and it happens to be in Paris...

We're under no illusions. Daily life will not be romantic walks along the Seine. I'm actually quite worried as most of the cities we've lived in have been incredibly liveable. We've never lived in London and the prospect of living in Paris scares me in much the same way.

At the moment we're looking at this through very grey spectacles but with the current work climate we might not have any other choice.
Hi, here's another welcome to the Forum!
Whereabouts in Paris will your OH be working? You'd be advised to live somewhere near an RER or Métro Line which serves his place of work, to reduce the daily hassle. Chantilly, Senlis, etc... must have SNCF connections, but to the railway stations in the north of Paris. If he works in the east or west, or south of the Seine, you won't see much of him in the week....
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:46 pm

Im always happy to help in anyway I can so so are most of the members here, Wish I had found this place when we moved here. I draw the line at changing nappies though

Dmu knows paris well enough and we have a few other members that are there or have just moved away from there, They will comment when they stop by no doubt. Also don't forget about the search feature of the site which can be narrowed just this section

Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, here's another welcome to the Forum!
Whereabouts in Paris will your OH be working? You'd be advised to live somewhere near an RER or Métro Line which serves his place of work, to reduce the daily hassle. Chantilly, Senlis, etc... must have SNCF connections, but to the railway stations in the north of Paris. If he works in the east or west, or south of the Seine, you won't see much of him in the week....
Hi there and thank you!!

I've just found out that his job would be in La Défense so I'm not sure that taking the scary RER D everyday to Chantilly would be worth it!

I'm wondering if there are any not ridiculously expensive areas to the West...

Thank you again and please shout out any other ideas as they are all hugely welcomed. We're also slightly worried about the state schooling as I understand it's quite tough with no integration programme for foreign kids. Eek.

Do let me know what you know!!!

xxx
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

My family and I have been living in Chatou for 18 months now. Great little town for all sorts of reasons (local life, restaurants, shops, RER A) but almost certainly in your 'ridiculously expensive' bracket.

We're lifers (local contract) rather than ex-pats so paying everything ourselves and have been reluctantly exploring less expensive options like buying vs. renting, moving a few miles further South and West, renting somewhere cheaper and buying an hour away for the weekends etc. All because of the cost of living here.

If you're not tied to the International School system like we are, that should free you up to look at a much larger area to live and there are some lovely towns on the SNCF lines into La Defense such as Marly-le-roi, L'Etang le Ville and of course St Nom la Breteche (known as St Nom la British - you can guess why).

My best advice would be to get the rail map, check commute times and go see some towns to see if you like them.

Good luck with the adventure.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Relobotomy
Hi there

My family and I have been living in Chatou for 18 months now. Great little town for all sorts of reasons (local life, restaurants, shops, RER A) but almost certainly in your 'ridiculously expensive' bracket.

We're lifers (local contract) rather than ex-pats so paying everything ourselves and have been reluctantly exploring less expensive options like buying vs. renting, moving a few miles further South and West, renting somewhere cheaper and buying an hour away for the weekends etc. All because of the cost of living here.

If you're not tied to the International School system like we are, that should free you up to look at a much larger area to live and there are some lovely towns on the SNCF lines into La Defense such as Marly-le-roi, L'Etang le Ville and of course St Nom la Breteche (known as St Nom la British - you can guess why).

My best advice would be to get the rail map, check commute times and go see some towns to see if you like them.

My husband will also be on a local contract so if we do decide to do this, then we must meet up!!!

Thanks for your information - I think from what you wrote that your children attend the international school, but would you know anything at all about local state schools? If you do, do you know any to recommend or avoid?!

The school situation is also daunting as to date the kids have been at international schools. This would be a big life change, but we're a bit sick of moving around practically every year, so my husband is quite serious about taking a permanent job to give us some stability. Of course that comes at a cost...!

Hope to hear from you or anyone soon!! Thank you so, so much again.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to be too terrified about the move to France! There are many good things about being here ... food, your children will soon be bilingual, the weather.... oh no not in Paris, you need Toulouse for that

Good luck in your search and glad you have found this great site
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:40 pm

Hi there

Welcome to the Forum
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Hi, in another life, we lived in Ville d'Avray on the SNCF line passing through La Défense. St Cloud, Vaucresson, Garches, Versailles, are also pleasant towns to live in.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Relobotomy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ka Ora - thanks for the welcome. It was my first post but have been a voyeur for a while now so felt it was time to try and give something back!

Emmis - yes our kids are at the BSP. We went for the easy option as we were facing new job, new company, new country and it could have all ended in tears with us back in Yorkshire in 6 months...keeping our 9 year old on a consistent curriculum was important at the time. Now that it looks like we'll be here for some time, not sure whether it was right or not but it's what we did and we'll live with it.

All of that to say that I know little of the local schools other than to say that I know people who've had good experience and those who have not (could happen anywhere). The style and system is certainly different, no big surprise there I guess as it's a different country. Friends of ours have recently moved their kids out of the French state system and into the BSP for a number of reasons, including their feeling that they were being taught a different version of history :-) A work colleague of mine put her (younger) kids straight into the French system and they are doing great.

Happy to help you in any way I can if you eventually come out here...
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

recently moved their kids out of the French state system and into the BSP for a number of reasons, including their feeling that they were being taught a different version of history :-)
Hi, I had this problem with my two, and always explained the British side of European History to them when the teacher was too pro-France!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ka Ora - thanks for the welcome. It was my first post but have been a voyeur for a while now so felt it was time to try and give something back!

Emmis - yes our kids are at the BSP. We went for the easy option as we were facing new job, new company, new country and it could have all ended in tears with us back in Yorkshire in 6 months...keeping our 9 year old on a consistent curriculum was important at the time. Now that it looks like we'll be here for some time, not sure whether it was right or not but it's what we did and we'll live with it.

All of that to say that I know little of the local schools other than to say that I know people who've had good experience and those who have not (could happen anywhere). The style and system is certainly different, no big surprise there I guess as it's a different country. Friends of ours have recently moved their kids out of the French state system and into the BSP for a number of reasons, including their feeling that they were being taught a different version of history :-) A work colleague of mine put her (younger) kids straight into the French system and they are doing great.

Happy to help you in any way I can if you eventually come out here...
Well, my husband flies into Paris tomorrow to speak to the people there!

We would definitely not be able to afford BSP as much as we would love to keep up the continuity in our children's education. We'll be facing a huge drop in income unfortunately but needs must!

How could we find out which French primary schools are nice, for example in the area you live in? I understand it is all catchment based. We're currently in Portugal, and have lived away from the UK for years in various locations, but I think I understand that if you live in the catchment area of a good school you should be able to go there... or not?!

Sorry about my confusion! If you can point us in the direction of any decent French schools that would be fantastic.

Thank you again (and yes, I'm still scared! I do speak French which at least should help but this will be a huge life change!)

xxx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, my husband flies into Paris tomorrow to speak to the people there!

We would definitely not be able to afford BSP as much as we would love to keep up the continuity in our children's education. We'll be facing a huge drop in income unfortunately but needs must!

How could we find out which French primary schools are nice, for example in the area you live in? I understand it is all catchment based. We're currently in Portugal, and have lived away from the UK for years in various locations, but I think I understand that if you live in the catchment area of a good school you should be able to go there... or not?!

Sorry about my confusion! If you can point us in the direction of any decent French schools that would be fantastic.

Thank you again (and yes, I'm still scared! I do speak French which at least should help but this will be a huge life change!)

xxx
Hi, you don't have much choice as far as Primary schools are concerned. Once you've decided where to live, you go to your Mairie to enrol. If there are more than one Primaire in the Commune, then it will depend on your address.
Our Maternelle/Primaire Schools in Ville d'Avray were excellent, as was our rural Primaire when we moved down South. There are good and bad Secondary schools, but I've never heard of a "bad" Primaire...
Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.