Reload this Page >

6 months in Paris

6 months in Paris

Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months in Paris

Hello,
My company have agreed I can work from Paris for 6 months next year (there is always the chance I can stay on, but for now, the agreement is I come back to London). I've always dreamt of living in Paris, so whilst for some 6 months may not seem that much, for me it is fantastic and something I am very excited by.

I am assuming I have limited options around accommodation? The agreement from my company, seeing as it is just a favour, is no cost or stress to them. Hence, I am thinking furnished rentals are my best option, and wondered did anyone have any opinions on any of these, or different ideas altogether?

The one I have just contacted is Paris Attitude http://www.parisattitude.com/ - is this recommended, or does anyone know of anything better?

Any advice on this, or anything else, would be most appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Andrew
Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in Paris

Originally Posted by ajhurley
Hello,
My company have agreed I can work from Paris for 6 months next year (there is always the chance I can stay on, but for now, the agreement is I come back to London). I've always dreamt of living in Paris, so whilst for some 6 months may not seem that much, for me it is fantastic and something I am very excited by.

I am assuming I have limited options around accommodation? The agreement from my company, seeing as it is just a favour, is no cost or stress to them. Hence, I am thinking furnished rentals are my best option, and wondered did anyone have any opinions on any of these, or different ideas altogether?

The one I have just contacted is Paris Attitude http://www.parisattitude.com/ - is this recommended, or does anyone know of anything better?

Any advice on this, or anything else, would be most appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Andrew
Lucky you!
Have you considered flatsharing? Try
http://www.colocation.fr/homepage.php
and look in an area not too far from your work, or at least with the least hassle on the Métro/bus network.
All the Best!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

You could try Lodgis
Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Belated thanks to you both.

Sharing not an option as I need something ready for when I arrive. Little point in wasting 2/3 weeks at the start in a b&B looking for somewhere to live, plus if it's a formal share, I have no French documents.

Have been onto Lodgis and Paris Attitude. Lodgis won't even entertain telling me whether a few places i have selected are available until they have 7/8 documents from me; Paris Attitude is easier, and will probably go with them.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Don't forget to deal with the social security and tax aspects - info here

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz....htm?profile=0
Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

Lodgis won't even entertain telling me whether a few places i have selected are available until they have 7/8 documents from me.
All of them say when they are available from as you are searching... no documents required.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

They do, but they're not correct. The previous woman I dealt with would tell me which ones were free when I asked, and it was about 50/50 (even if it said on the site they are free). Same with Paris Attitude - very frustrating!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

I'm looking into apartments with Paris Atittude that are much more than I've ever paid for accommodation but not much to be done. Most of their apartments seem to be outside the centre, and I'm looking to understand the areas around these.

The closest metro to the first is Jules Joffrin, the closest to the second is Brochant. I will be working in Opera, and Paris, from afar to me is the bookshops and cafes in the 5th, the bars and cafes around Bastille/Marais/Oberkampf, museums (everywhere). Has anyone any thoughts on these areas? I'm 31, so looking to meet people, and wondering is Batignolles too quiet (although nice) and is Jules Joffrin part of Montmarte the nicer village-y part, less touristy and less Pigalle-like, or am I wrong?

Many thanks for helping a very confused man!
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking into apartments with Paris Atittude that are much more than I've ever paid for accommodation but not much to be done. Most of their apartments seem to be outside the centre, and I'm looking to understand the areas around these.

The closest metro to the first is Jules Joffrin, the closest to the second is Brochant. I will be working in Opera, and Paris, from afar to me is the bookshops and cafes in the 5th, the bars and cafes around Bastille/Marais/Oberkampf, museums (everywhere). Has anyone any thoughts on these areas? I'm 31, so looking to meet people, and wondering is Batignolles too quiet (although nice) and is Jules Joffrin part of Montmarte the nicer village-y part, less touristy and less Pigalle-like, or am I wrong?

Many thanks for helping a very confused man!
Hi, the Brochant area isn't one that I'd recommend (wrong side of the 17ème). I don't know the area around Jules Joffrin which may be in the picturesque village-y part just behind Montmartre, but would be too close to the "wrong" part of the 18ème for comfort. Avoid anything in the 10ème, 18ème, 19ème, 20ème which may have a few nice renovated parts, but would be uncomfortable to live in.
Opéra has several métro lines and bus routes, take a look at the RATP métro and bus maps to consider possible districts to live in without having too many changes.
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

sparkymarky32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew, I rented an apartment via Paris Attitude when I lived there in 2009.

The one I rented was in the 3eme, just up from the Centre Pompidou, which was a nice walk to where I was studying in the 5eme.

I chose one of the 'cheaper' studios, though it was still quite pricey, though comparatively to what it would have cost in zone 1 in London, it was a lot less expensive.

I found them very good to deal with and the landlord of my particular one was a really nice guy.

Let me know if I can be of any help and enjoy your six months!

Mark