Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

5 Reasons why you are still.....

5 Reasons why you are still.....

Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Matt_clark is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 5 Reasons why you are still.....

I often read a lot of what would seem negative feed back from expats now living in France, don't get me wrong, as I said 'it would seem' I understand a lot of you have vast knowledge to share which I'm sure is greatly appreciated by all uk residents looking to make the move but I would live to hear about the reasons why you fell in love with France, why your still there what makes it better for you than life in the UK..
So, 5 reasons why you are still living in France anyone?

Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Reasons why you are still.....

Originally Posted by Matt_clark
I often read a lot of what would seem negative feed back from expats now living in France, don't get me wrong, as I said 'it would seem' I understand a lot of you have vast knowledge to share which I'm sure is greatly appreciated by all uk residents looking to make the move but I would live to hear about the reasons why you fell in love with France, why your still there what makes it better for you than life in the UK..

1 Not having to make a living in France - it's tough over here.
2 The lifestyle is more like the UK in the 50s and 60s - but it is changing.
3 The pace of life is slower and you can enjoy a chat over a glass of wine a coffee or spend hours over a meal.
4 The weather is (usually) better.
5 We have been able to have a circle of french friends but only because we speak french and we are able to learn more about french culture.

In general, I don't think that the grass is greener on the other side of the Channel.
While life can be tough on a personal basis in the UK, I think that it has lots to offer including the support network of social care and the NHS which you can access in your own language.
Some people move abroad because they think that things will be better,
Unfortunately, many return home after a short time a little bit wiser and a bigger bit poorer.
It can work but you need to get it right before you make the move.
Fluency not just being able to get by in french is essential if you want to deal with the bureaucracy and your customers.
Good luck with your decision

Last edited by cyrian; Mar 18th 2013 at 2:51 am. Reason: addition
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

We came here for our children and the weather. That's it.

The NHS is amazing and it's only when its gone you realise. But don't let the language stop you. We didn't speak a word when we got here. Now our children speak French, my wife gets by. I can't but I do have lessons.
It's important to learn it, but don't let not speaking it when you arrive stop you*
It's true, the grass isn't greener, but on the whole, we prefer it here.

*I rely on work from the UK so I don't need to speak the language to earn money. If you plan to work here then yes it is essential you speak the language to stand a chance.

Last edited by loy loy; Mar 18th 2013 at 3:02 am.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

1) Living in a proper community where all ages mix and are appreciated.

2) The wonderful light, even when it is perishing cold

3)The total lack of burglar/car alarms or police helicopters overhead at night.

4)The food, especially local seasonal produce that are respected and celebrated and that also includes excellent local restaurants and the lack of braying clients therein.

5) The fact that it is not considered strange to greet people and pass the time of day, in fact the fact that not doing so is considered strange if not rude.

Can I have 5 more please???
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we came

1 the chance for our kids to be bi lingual
2 the weather
3 fewer people.. I can go for a walk with the dog and meet no one
4. old fashioned views and lifestyle (importance of family) though this is changing fast

I certainly didnt come for jobs or salary... after 5 years we both have full time jobs but it was HARD and we had several years of what I can only describe as abject penury.

I have lived in many places and think where you live is what you make of it
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

1) Intellectual pursuits in France are not treated as if they were leprosy. There is a rich, active life here for geeks like us. Not only are manga and bande-dessinés widely available, but there is even a television channel especially for geeks.

2) The people of France are, by and large, friendly and accepting, as long as you speak the language.

3) The public transport is excellent, so excellent, in fact, that we haven't found it necessary to buy a car.

4) The food and service in restaurants is excellent.

5) The police don't walk around looking as though they have been pumped full of steroids.

There is more, much more, but that's the first five that come to mind.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for you input,
It would seem that you all have very similar reasons which is good as they are the same reasons for me and my OH.
We're all booked up for a week in the dordogne in may and can't wait we plan a 3-6month stay later in the year start of next to really take on the culture and see if this long stay will put the final nail in the coffin so to speak.

It would be greatly appreciated if any of you know of any established UK builders in the dordogne area to pass on there contact details via private message.

Once again thank you for your response
Matt
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It would be greatly appreciated if any of you know of any established UK builders in the dordogne area to pass on there contact details via private message.
Well there's always this guy who had five minutes' fame at the end of last year http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-32466041/ but I don't think he's typical - word on the street was that there was more to it than came out. Almost certainly to do with his business, either an unhappy client or an unhappy competitor, and there were some very odd things about the whole story (in the first version they had lived in 2 other villages in the Dordogne before moving to St Rabier and been targeted in all of them, in the second version they moved straight from the UK to St Rabier; in the first version he hadn't had time to learn French and the family felt very isolated, in the later version he spoke like a native and they were all very well integrated; he's a one man band with 2 company vans; etc; etc).

But, to the point:
5 reasons
1. Respect and courtesy. The kids are brought up to be polite. The adults treat each other with respect and expect to be treated with respect. Not everyone will agree but I have found there is less pettiness and less resentment. If they have a problem (noise etc) they will come and tell you politely that you are disturbing them, rather than make a noise back or give you dirty looks without explaining why, which (again, in my experience) neighbours tend to do in the UK.
2. Less crime. I don't go out and leave things unlocked but I do feel safer. If I've been to a concert in town I feel totally safe walking home on my own late at night.
3. Less materialistic. They don't confuse value with €€€€, which I think some people do in the UK. The downside, arguably, is that because people don't buy on price so much and there isn't the same 'cheap shop' culture outside of big towns, so you pay over the odds for things sometimes.
4. Open countryside, less traffic. I love the picnic areas provided for everyone to use at nice spots along the roadside.
5. People take a pride in keeping their gardens and their communes tidy and attractive, with flowers, benches to sit on, all spick and span. Again, it comes down to people being less wrapped up in themselves - they see themselves as part of a community, they respect other people, they have a shared interest in keeping their environment a pleasant place for everyone to live in.

I don't have rose-tinted specs, I could make a list of things I don't like about France as well, but the things that I consider fundamental are on my LIKE list.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Mar 18th 2013 at 9:04 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Good morning Euro,

I read the article to which you are referring to, English builder boasting about the ammount of work he had currently in his books etc etc if we are referring to the same story there was a lot of damage to his vehicles, he's also living there with his wife and five children? Whose to say it was the French was my first thought, through research Iv come to find out that there a roughly around 90 British builders living/working in the dordogne at present all competing for the same work and what's shocking about this figure is apparently the majority only know little or no French, can you believe that?

Your five reasons again like every one else's inspire me, don't get me wrong my rosé tinted glasses are firmly set aside but do creep on, I think it's hard not to when dreaming of a better life. But as you said and I think others also have you could probably give five reasons why you are not keen, but, from a UK point of view I could give five reason what I love about our once Great Britain, the problem is I could give you 500 as to why I can't wait to get out of here.

Thanks you for your input it's greatly appreciated
Matt
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

My French teacher had her car vandalised. Turned out it was by an Englishman unhappy with some of the Marie's idea's. Her mum worked for the Marie.

Our children are flourishing here. Our little one was so shy, now she kisses some people, which is a massive improvement. They hardly ever have the TV on and can play safely outside in the square. All their friends are really polite, the people here are lovely and welcoming.

They and my wife love it here. I struggle, mainly because I get little chance to talk French other than my 1 hour a week lesson. We have French friends over for dinner sometimes, but they get fed up and start talking English

The man who runs the bar in our village is full of apathy and it rarely opens and it probably hasn't been cleaned for 10 years. If someone bought this I could get out a bit.

We need to get Frech TV installed, but it's difficult to find someone who can do it. We are paying for French TV and have the orange box in a cupboard somewhere. I need to either buy a two way pronged LND or get another dish.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Originally Posted by loy loy
They and my wife love it here. I struggle, mainly because I get little chance to talk French other than my 1 hour a week lesson. We have French friends over for dinner sometimes, but they get fed up and start talking English

The man who runs the bar in our village is full of apathy and it rarely opens and it probably hasn't been cleaned for 10 years. If someone bought this I could get out a bit.

We need to get Frech TV installed, but it's difficult to find someone who can do it. We are paying for French TV and have the orange box in a cupboard somewhere. I need to either buy a two way pronged LND or get another dish.
There are a variety of ways in which you can improve your French. Do you have a hobby? Something you like? Do it in French.

Since you have access to the Internet, you can download videos - Youtube and the like, in French. There are loads of legal sites that show TV emissions for free. Many of the channels have something on-line. Just about anything is covered if you look for it. This will help you to improve your listening ability, which will, in turn, help you to speak French better.

You should read as much as possible in French. Stuff about your hobby, recipe books, newspapers, instruction manuals, brochures, whatever. It will help improve your vocabulary and that, too, will help you to understand and speak French better.

Watch films in French, even if you don't understand them. If the film looks interesting enough, you will start picking things up.

There are teachers on the net who will provide lessons over Skype. They could supplement your other lessons.

Another method is to answer telemarketing calls and talk to the person on the other end. You don't have to buy anything: just listen and respond as best you can. If you think you are over your head, give your excuses and hang up.

Have your children talk to you.

The more you do, the more you will be able to do. All you need to do is to work at it.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for those idea's I'll implement the ones I don't do.

I have joined a golf club and the competition season is about to begin so that start again soon. Alongside the weekly comps there was a season long matchplay tourny that I came second in. On the strength of this I am trying to get into the club team which would mean weekends away playing against other clubs which would be really good for my language. But it's a bit of a clique I fear, the club president does to like me though. I buy a newspaper once a week and I try to listen to the radio for an hour a day, but it's while I'm working so I don't really take anything in.

We do have a lot of French films in our DVD collection, I should watch them, but after a days work I just want to collapse, I need to get into the habit that that isn't so good for me.

Last edited by loy loy; Mar 19th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

juliet1 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. I can easily cope up with this culture.
2. Lifte style is better than other country
3. Weather is comfortable to me.
4. Beautiful coutry
5. Overall my family lives in there. So i have to live with my nice family.