Reload this Page >

3 Winter Months in France

3 Winter Months in France

Old May 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

LowLola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Winter Months in France

Hi:

Brand new here. Thinking of southern france for three months during the winter. I understand it's not warm but it's warner then what I've got.

On pension, will need to stay the other months back home. Live alone, just me and my vegetables ..

Hoping to test the waters .. need to rent .. will be going soon to look around for a few weeks -- hopefully will not spend too much ... but will try and set up a rental.

Any suggested places to go ? My french is poor. Either side of southern france would be fine. Thinking around January for a try.

Thank you for any help ..
Old May 17th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Winter Months in France

Welcome

The thing about Southern France is that it can be incredibly cold in the winter unless you are right on the coast.

Because of this heating can be really expensive.

On the other hand you will get far more light than you do in Northen climes and you can have magical days when outside eating is more than possible.

We live in a valley away from the coast and several times have experienced temperatures of -14C and several consectutive days when the temperature never got to + figures and yes we have been snowed in because the authorities simply can't cope with winter weather!
Old May 17th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks grannybunz

I assume the mistral is the cause of that ?
But how long does that last -- A few weeks in January or longer ?

I was thinking at first of somewhere around the Southern Languerdoc region ... near Perpignan -- but really I know nothing about it.

I was hoping to stay there for a week and look around the areas outside but near the town. Looking for a rental ? Anyone in that region -- can you offer a suggestion ?

Thank you again ..
Old May 17th 2013, 3:39 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LowLola
Thanks grannybunz

I assume the mistral is the cause of that ?
But how long does that last -- A few weeks in January or longer ?

I was thinking at first of somewhere around the Southern Languerdoc region ... near Perpignan -- but really I know nothing about it.

I was hoping to stay there for a week and look around the areas outside but near the town. Looking for a rental ? Anyone in that region -- can you offer a suggestion ?

Thank you again ..
Welcome to the Forum

The last three to four years have seen snow on the beach every year and increased floods in spring, I have seen snow on the beach in Barcelona. Closer to the Pyrenees you get can make it very chilly in the winter.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I live in the Languedoc, in the uplands about 50 km from the coast, and can honestly say that this winter has been the worst for many years - long-drawn out (from November to the present day and more bad weather forecast) with several snow spells and temps well below 0°C, rain, Tramontane (=Mistral west of the Rhône), rain, hardly any sun since last November, rain....
East of the Rhône is no better.
From the renting point of view, you may find it difficult to get a short-term lease for 3 months, unless you find a gîte. Google "Gîtes de France" and click on towns along the Med or Atlantic Coast near the Spanish border, to have an idea of off-season prices.
We have eaten out of doors in past winters and it might be possible next winter, but, to be guaranteed warmer weather than "what you've got", I'd suggest considering going further south...
Old May 17th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

DMU beat me to it. Yes, this last winter was long and cold, even here in the SW. In fact yesterday scattered snow showers were still being forecast in some high-range areas. Not sure when summer officially starts, but I'm still waiting for the real spring. Rumour has it that it's Francois's fault, but I wouldn't know about that.......
If you plan to come next Jan, make sure you bring the thermal underwear - several months worth, just in case.
I've just been reminded that even the Tour de France has been held up due to snow and terrible weather - in July!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 17th 2013 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I live in the Languedoc, in the uplands about 50 km from the coast, and can honestly say that this winter has been the worst for many years - long-drawn out (from November to the present day and more bad weather forecast) with several snow spells and temps well below 0°C, rain, Tramontane (=Mistral west of the Rhône), rain, hardly any sun since last November, rain....
East of the Rhône is no better.
From the renting point of view, you may find it difficult to get a short-term lease for 3 months, unless you find a gîte. Google "Gîtes de France" and click on towns along the Med or Atlantic Coast near the Spanish border, to have an idea of off-season prices.
We have eaten out of doors in past winters and it might be possible next winter, but, to be guaranteed warmer weather than "what you've got", I'd suggest considering going further south...
Well that certainly "puts a damp(er) on things"
I was thinking that a bit away from the coast in 30km or so would be a good starting point .. near Beziers or Narbonne ?
I was wary of the Perpignan area as it seems to be a summer retreat Mostly ..but further north .. I thought -- would be alright. I was thinking of coming down next week or so BUT see that it's raining all the time.
Maybe the West coast is better or Carcassonne - Black Mountains ?
Weather seems to be a mess everywhere. It is certainly one of the factors of staying there for the Winter months.

I don't want Spain as I think it is very depressed IMHO (no offense)

What about near Aix, has that been as cold and snowy ?
What was the year before like ... just as bad ?

Yes I guess Gites are the way to go but are there any other methods ?

Thanks again
Old May 17th 2013, 5:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Well that certainly "puts a damp(er) on things"
I was thinking that a bit away from the coast in 30km or so would be a good starting point .. near Beziers or Narbonne ?
I was wary of the Perpignan area as it seems to be a summer retreat Mostly ..but further north .. I thought -- would be alright. I was thinking of coming down next week or so BUT see that it's raining all the time.
Maybe the West coast is better or Carcassonne - Black Mountains ?
Weather seems to be a mess everywhere. It is certainly one of the factors of staying there for the Winter months.

I don't want Spain as I think it is very depressed IMHO (no offense)

What about near Aix, has that been as cold and snowy ?
What was the year before like ... just as bad ?

Yes I guess Gites are the way to go but are there any other methods ?

Thanks again
Actually Béziers and Narbonne aren't far from the sea, and Béziers at least is dynamic enough not to be deadly in the winter. Carcassonne risks being dead in the winter and the Montagne Noire even more so (higher up and with no towns as such). If you really want to stay in France, I'd head for Perpignan or Anglet/Bayonne at the other end of the Pyrénées....
GrannyBunz can give you more info on the Aix area than I can!

Last edited by dmu; May 17th 2013 at 5:59 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Actually Béziers and Narbonne aren't far from the sea, and Béziers at least is dynamic enough not to be deadly in the winter. Carcassonne risks being dead in the winter and the Montagne Noire even more so (higher up and with no towns as such). If you really want to stay in France, I'd head for Perpignan or Anglet/Bayonne at the other end of the Pyrénées....
GrannyBunz can give you more info on the Aix area than I can!
Carcassonne also gets pretty damm cold wet etc in the winter, It's a stones throw from Mirepoix and Foix and about 2 and half hours to Andorra 1 and a Half if you know were all the speed cameras are

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 17th 2013 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks So Much dmu:

Being a city person .. I will need to be somewhat near something with a Life.

I know even less about Anglet/Bayonne or Bordeaux but it seems that many on this forum are ensconced there. There must be some reason for that ?

I am trying for a place with a bunch of expats in the hope that I might find a room with them rather than a Gites. I believe the insight offered by an expat who lives here would be a great learning experience for me and hopefully a deciding factor as to where to hang my hat ?

is there some site that offers expat room rentals in France ?

Thanks again
Old May 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear!

Well yes I could suggest a rental property in the Luberon area of Provence.

BUT it is rural and it can get very very cold and, while we are next door we do not associate with many of ex-pats.

The house is owned by our daughter and is not used in the winter months.

I could contact her to ask what sort of rates she would chrage for a 3 months let.

If you are at all interested I'll send you a link I suspect you would be better near the coast
Old May 18th 2013, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks grannybunz .. I am interested

I sent you a PM

please send link via PM
Old May 18th 2013, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am trying for a place with a bunch of expats in the hope that I might find a room with them rather than a Gites. I believe the insight offered by an expat who lives here would be a great learning experience for me and hopefully a deciding factor as to where to hang my hat ?

is there some site that offers expat room rentals in France ?

Thanks again
I think your best bet would be to ask on a dedicated regional forum. I'm the only BE member in the Languedoc who posts regularly and I only know of B&B owners in my neck of the woods (rural and therefore not suitable for you!). You seem to be looking to live-in with virtual strangers for three months, all day and every day? With all due respect, a daunting venture (on both sides).
Will you have a car? If not, then a town with train/bus services is definitely for you, whatever type of accommodation you decide on...
Old May 18th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

dmu:

I think your vision of what "renting a room is" is not similar to mine. I assume any one who wants to rent a room in their house needs the income and is prepared to have a person share their place or else they have it somewhat compartmentalized. I don't intend to move into one place necessarily for the whole three months. I am flexible.

B&B rural is fine if one is able to get to a bigger "town" without much trouble and there is an accommodation in price for a longer rental. I am an avid cyclist and bus/train service is fine by me. Let's just say that I am "green." I look at this as an adventure and not necessarily a closed concept. I have experienced communal living in the past and it is ok with me.

Thank you for your input and I would be interested in the B&B Owners that you know. Please send me a PM with any you think might be interested as I will be traveling through Beziers etc. at one point.
Old May 18th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

BTW dmu ... could you send a PM with a link to a regional forum that you could suggest for Languerdoc ?

thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.