Reload this Page >

3 Winter Months in France

3 Winter Months in France

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Winter Months in France

The cold weather does not last for so many months as the UK!

There are some very beautiful areas close to Perpignan, have a look at Le Racou, Collioure, Port Vendres on the coast.
From Thuir you see the beautiful Canigou mountains, and Ceret with its very strong Catalan influence is close to the Spanish border, and traditionally produces the first crop of Cherries in France.

A very interesting corner of France to explore.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Luciole is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been trawling through the old boards looking for info on the Herault/Corbieres region and found this board, which contains some interesting info. How did you get on with your research LowLola and did you finally decude on a destination? I am currently looking at the Narbonne/Beziers area to buy.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Luciole
Have been trawling through the old boards looking for info on the Herault/Corbieres region and found this board, which contains some interesting info. How did you get on with your research LowLola and did you finally decude on a destination? I am currently looking at the Narbonne/Beziers area to buy.
Narbonne is pretty but can get very windy indeed!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

LowLola is an unknown quantity at this point

Luciole

Sorry I must have missed the "alert" email about your post. I have been hard at work trying to plan a trip to Southern France in early September.

Well ... I guess I missed that deadline ... :>) .. October is next.

i have not made any decision about the area and won't until i visit. The weather is the key issue. I am also thinking maybe further South for the earlier part of the winter and then France for the latter ?

About the visit … I can't seem to get a reasonable rental say for a week in Perpignan or for someplace nearby Narbonne. I must say I am a bit nervous about making long distance commitments with "real" cash. i would like to get the benefit of a weekly rental but I am so unfamiliar with the cities and the "good or bad" areas. it's hard to make a long distance decision. I also "HOPE" that being there will provide more local offerings than say the "internet" provides. maybe that's a pipe dream ?

Luciole .. what research have you done ?

best,
LL
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

I have just spent a week touring the Perpignan/Narbonne area, more to just find out if I like the region rather than looking at specific properties. I will probably go down and have another look in february next year, so that I can judge the difference in temperatures. One thing I did notice is that there are an awful lot of wind turbines in the area. The engineers were clearly pretty clued up as the wind blows constantly through the valleys and coastal area. Also the weather anywhere near the mountains was very different from the flatter areas, so if you want long sunny days (currently 28 deg), stay off the slopes. One other thing I also found was that the villages are absolutely deserted most of the time. You need to live near to a town or city if you want any kind of ameneties or social life. Other than that, the road, rail and air links are terrific and it is now end of season, so most of the holiday makers had gone home and the seaside towns were very pleasant. Perpignan rush hour is the usual city chaos, whereas Narbonne is smaller and is more to my taste.
All in all, a really pretty region with good links and lots of choice for sightseeing, walking, boating and the great outdoors.
Would I want to live down there permanently?........I'm not really sure, but if I did, I would want to live close to one of the bigger communities.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Luciole

I agree, not from actual experience but from what the local expats have been writing here regarding wind.
Reading thru the posts, so graciously provided about the Narbonne/Beziers area, most say the winter has not been a pleasant experience for at least the last 5 years. Climate change is what I surmise.

I would expect a constant high wind in the winter.

I am interested to find what you discovered in the Perpignan area ?

DPK wrote "There are some very beautiful areas close to Perpignan, have a look at Le Racou, Collioure, Port Vendres on the coast."

Did you get a chance to have a look at these?

I also read that the wind is just as relentless in Perpignan area as it is further north. So even though it might be a bit warmer, I "believe" it will probably have the same chilly effect. Others here can comment about this if you disagree (Please)

Besides the climate (which is an endless conversation), it seems that you liked Narbonne/Beziers area more.

Could you elaborate a bit about that town and any others closeby you visited ? Any other points that you liked about it ?

I assume a week is a whirlwind tour .. :>)

best,
LL
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

It was a whirlwind tour, but I had specific criteria in my mind as to what I wanted, so it was pretty easy to pass through villages, towns & cities and to either cross them off my list, or tag them as worth further investigation.
I originally looked on Google Earth and picked Rivesaltes as my ideal town for various reasons (close to mountains, close to beach, close to large city for shopping etc) but when I got there I found it to be slap bang in the middle of the east/west route for traffic, railways and aircraft, with all the ensuing clutter, which means that I have crossed off my list.
Of all the places I visited, Montredon des Corbières was probably the nicest and ticked most of the boxes, and it is on the outskirts of Narbonne, which would suit me as Narbonne is interesting & pretty enough without having the problems of traffic & noise associated with cities like Perpignan. Portel des Corbières comes a close second and is situated in the Natural Parc area. So many villages were crossed off my list as I found them to be isolated and lifeless, which is a shame as they were all very pretty and well maintained.
I am now considering my options, but think I may hire or buy a motorhome and do some travelling around southern France, as there is just no substitute for wandering around the area and seeing it from a local's perspective.
Just on the subject of the coastal towns, it's not really my cup of tea as I used to work in Argeles and in Marseillan many years ago, and I'm not really a great lover of the tourists for any length of time. Sadly the coastal towns pretty much close during the winter, which means you have to travel everytime you want anything. Also I prefer to live in a house with character, which probably means an older property and most of the coastal towns are new build areas. I'm sure they are more energy efficient and cheaper to run, but I quite like the tall french style windows, high ceilings and slightly shabby look.
Lezignan ticked a few of the boxes, so on my revisit list. Clean, busy and on the main routes to sea & mountains. I even looked at a few places along the Canal du Midi, but nothing seen which takes my fancy.....yet!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Charentebound is on a distinguished road

Spent a week in Charente in the July and it rained virtually every day. Popped down to the south, Canet-en-Roussillon, for a second week and it was blisteringly hot -- but continuously windy. Relatives down there said the wind worked in cycles and lasted for three, six or nine days. Finding the perfect climate in France is no easy matter. Good luck.

Al
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

What a insightful response Luciole !

Pressed for time right now but I will collect my thoughts and respond soon.

Again .. thank you for your insight...
Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charentebound
Spent a week in Charente in the July and it rained virtually every day. Popped down to the south, Canet-en-Roussillon, for a second week and it was blisteringly hot -- but continuously windy. Relatives down there said the wind worked in cycles and lasted for three, six or nine days. Finding the perfect climate in France is no easy matter. Good luck.

Al
That is the reason we abandoned Charente for Provence as a holiday destination in 1980.

Over this side of the Rhone we have the Mistral - similar to the Tramontane in the Languedoc. It used to be a mitigation for murder! We have 1, 3, 6 and 9 dayers too but it most certainly doesn't blow constantly. All traditional Provencal houses are constructed to cope. Small windows on the North and extra strong shutters. It is entirely livable with 99% of the time. The up-side is that it usually blows out of a vivd blue sky, so you get your vitamin D.

As my Mum used to say, "There is no such place as paradise" You have to weigh up the advantages - like sitting on our south - facing balcony with a drink on Christmas Day or having lunch in the verandah below almost every day in winter.