Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: imminent sat changes - what to do in NE France

indeed - we have a satellite for orange as our average is 0.6 - 1.3 mb!!

Itis why any talk of uk tv via internet doesnt work for us...
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:42 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sort what out? If your phone is working you've got ADSL. If you've also got an Orange TV box, why do you need someone on your roof?
Because low bandwidth customers have their Orange TV service provided via Sat, Because renting transponder space for all those channels is obviously cheaper than moving up to a technology that is not distance confined on the ground. Makes you wonder why some of the profit that EDF makes is not pumped back into improving the telephone network. The Vdsl2 country wide rollout here will take 15 years to complete by the time even India will have Fibre to the Home and FTTS service. Netflix are in discussion for a september rollout here in France which will work out good for us Expats but if the government agree to it the Orange network is going to take a hammering unless they take Iliad/Free's approach as they throttle Youtube traffic.

Originally Posted by dennerlymum

We moved to resolve that issue. Now I'm waiting patiently for someone to turn and stick Vdsl2 equip in our exchange

Last edited by Chatter Static; Feb 7th 2014 at 6:50 am.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sort what out? If your phone is working you've got ADSL. If you've also got an Orange TV box, why do you need someone on your roof?

are you saying we don't need a dish? Doesn't the orange box have to connect to a dish like the Humax box?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:08 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy

are you saying we don't need a dish? Doesn't the orange box have to connect to a dish like the Humax box?
How fast is your internet connection? As for higher speed Haut Debit customers the service is via broadband lower bandwidth is via Sat.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
How fast is your internet connection? As for higher speed Haut Debit customers the service is via broadband lower bandwidth is via Sat.
Not great, but I am willing to set it up and give it a go this weekend to see.

It's about 2 or 3mb.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not great, but I am willing to set it up and give it a go this weekend to see.

It's about 2 or 3mb.
Is the service included in your subscription?
When we initially got our SFR box we didn't get tv included because the download speed was insufficient.
However, I kept checking our neighbour's phone number [ he did not have internet service] on various internet providers websites to check what services were available in our area.
Eventually, these checks showed that tv was available and we contacted SFR and were immediately despatched our tv box which is attached to our "neufbox".
Initially, we didn't have a good enough download speed but due to better compression of the signal we able to get the tv service.
You may struggle to get HD programs.
Check an elderly neighbour's phone number on Orange; SFR; Darty etc and see what is available.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyrian
Is the service included in your subscription?
When we initially got our SFR box we didn't get tv included because the download speed was insufficient.
However, I kept checking our neighbour's phone number [ he did not have internet service] on various internet providers websites to check what services were available in our area.
Eventually, these checks showed that tv was available and we contacted SFR and were immediately despatched our tv box which is attached to our "neufbox".
Initially, we didn't have a good enough download speed but due to better compression of the signal we able to get the tv service.
You may struggle to get HD programs.
Check an elderly neighbour's phone number on Orange; SFR; Darty etc and see what is available.
I don't know really. I just took out something as I needed internet to work. I think they saw me as the stupid Englishman I was/am and sold me a package.

They gave us a TV box so I assumed it included TV.

To be honest I have no idea how to set it all up anyway. I guess ASDL from livebox to TV box and hdmi from tv box to tv?

Clearly I have no idea.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know really. I just took out something as I needed internet to work. I think they saw me as the stupid Englishman I was/am and sold me a package.

They gave us a TV box so I assumed it included TV.

To be honest I have no idea how to set it all up anyway. I guess ASDL from livebox to TV box and hdmi from tv box to tv?

Clearly I have no idea.
I would expect to connect the tv box to the internet box using a network cable which they should have supplied and then connect the tv to the tv box with an HDMI cable or scart.[ depending on the tv connections]
If you are unsure which is which then you can Google them.
There should be no more setup required other than to choose the appropriate HDMI input as the source on your tv.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Because if your speed is not good enough (+/- 8mb) you have to get TV via satellite !
Originally Posted by dennerlymum

I see. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I didn't know that an Orange TV box was compatible with satellite.

My bad.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Because if your speed is not good enough (+/- 8mb) you have to get TV via satellite !
That was what we were told several years ago but with current levels of signal compression we get hd tv without problems at around 4mb
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

we live on the village square. No chance of dishes that can be seen.

Re tuned, seems ok. BBC is a pit patchy, but if we watch a northern BBC channel i.e. BBC yorkshire, it's ok.
BBC Yorkshire?
You haven't been watching THIS again have you........
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

kit kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lost bbc

Hi has anybody else lost all bbc on the telly or is it just us we are in the Aude and all our friends with sky are having the same problems
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:14 pm
Quien no sabe

Default Re: lost bbc

Originally Posted by kit kat
Hi has anybody else lost all bbc on the telly or is it just us we are in the Aude and all our friends with sky are having the same problems
Retune.....
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

kit kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: lost bbc

Have tried to reboot our sky box but nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.