Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

Old May 18th 2008, 6:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I was saying the other day brissie gets a proper summer/distinct winter spring etc but no real autumn, but it was today, so sunny, sky like crystal, very windy we spent ages picking up fallen pine cones and twigs, to light the wood burner tonight after stuffing a nice big leg of lamb and red wine. Great day, love this time of year.
Nice

I've been out in the car earlier with the heaters on. So does all the debris from the neighbours trees currently in my garden mean it's Autumn?
Old May 18th 2008, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Nice

I've been out in the car earlier with the heaters on. So does all the debris from the neighbours trees currently in my garden mean it's Autumn?
We drove out to the farm shop, dodging bits of trees all the way got back and the pool looks like soup its so thick with tree twigs and leaves, so I guess it is.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Fire's lit, oven's on for the roast, my toes are just thawing out Having just spent an hour or so ironing, I think it's time the ironing board came indoors now. Getting too chilly to do it outdoors. Roll on Spring I quite enjoy ironing outside We've got some lovely Autumn colours round here, looks fab.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The OP was kind of suggesting it.
I can't be bothered to read that far back lol. And to clarify my comment above, I was talking about Melbourne, and I think Buzzy might have used the wrong word when he appeared to say you don't sweat in Melbourne, I don't think he meant literally that you don't sweat at all.

It's a fact Brisbane in summer probably feels more humid than Melbourne but both places might make you feel ''hot'' (or sweat) eventually.

BTW, in Melbourne, I've often ventured out into 40 degrees of heat from an AC office and for about 10-15 minutes I've thought - 'Doesn't feel too bad - not as bad as I thought - very, very dry but I don't feel sweaty". It's only if I walk that I feel warm. Brisbane made me feel ''sweaty'' even when stationary.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
OK - so you don't sweat at 40c in melbourne
Actually, in my experience you don't.

I was there on NYE...it was 42C but super low humidity. You could sit outside without sweating. I'm sure if you decided to go for a run it would be a different story.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually, in my experience you don't.

I was there on NYE...it was 42C but super low humidity. You could sit outside without sweating. I'm sure if you decided to go for a run it would be a different story.
Indeed. It's bizarre. Like I said, at times, you can say to yourself, "this is alright".
Old May 18th 2008, 7:22 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can't be bothered to read that far back lol. And to clarify my comment above, I was talking about Melbourne, and I think Buzzy might have used the wrong word when he appeared to say you don't sweat in Melbourne, I don't think he meant literally that you don't sweat at all.

It's a fact Brisbane in summer probably feels more humid than Melbourne but both places might make you feel ''hot'' (or sweat) eventually.

BTW, in Melbourne, I've often ventured out into 40 degrees of heat from an AC office and for about 10-15 minutes I've thought - 'Doesn't feel too bad - not as bad as I thought - very, very dry but I don't feel sweaty". It's only if I walk that I feel warm. Brisbane made me feel ''sweaty'' even when stationary.
I probably haven't spent enough time in Melbourne to qualify that one exactly, but having spent a couple of seasons in Darwin, it's like comparing 33 during the wet and 33 during the dry - completely different. And yes, you can go out during the dry when it's still hot and not instantly feel uncomfortable, unlike at any point during the wet.

However, what I can say is that people seem to have the idea that during a Brisbane summer, it is constantly hot and humid (and therefore uncomfortable), which isn't true. It seems there are a ton of Brisbane climate experts on this forum who haven't spent more than a long weekend here (and I'm sure there are equally as many for other cities too!).
Old May 18th 2008, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

However, what I can say is that people seem to have the idea that during a Brisbane summer, it is constantly hot and humid (and therefore uncomfortable), which isn't true.
I have never complained about QLD heat, like some of the resident expats do,
but I do know that some areas would be better than others and that you would acclimatise to an extent (as was pointed out to me when I was working up there). People joke about the heat and humidity in Brisbane - look at that email joke that regularly does the rounds - they don't in Melbourne because actually, 40+ days are still quite rare.

It seems there are a ton of Brisbane climate experts on this forum who haven't spent more than a long weekend here (and I'm sure there are equally as many for other cities too!).

;-)

If someone ever wanted to accuse me of claiming to be a QLD climate expert, I would continue to say, even whilst the judge was putting on his black hat that Brisbane is more humid than Melbourne - in general, and that was the point that people who agree with me were making.

cheers
Old May 18th 2008, 7:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

;-)

If someone ever wanted to accuse me of claiming to be a QLD climate expert, I would continue to say, even whilst the judge was putting on his black hat that Brisbane is more humid than Melbourne - in general, and that was the point that people who agree with me were making.
I think what's more important, rather than the fact that over a whole year the average humdity is the same in both cities is that Brisbane's peak humidity happens to coincide with the hot time of the year, whereas Melbourne's occurs in winter. Therefore overall discomfort, due to humidity is greater in Brisbane.

Personally I haven't had any issue with it in each of the last 2 summers, possibly because I'm acclimatised, or possibly becuase the hot element has simply been missing, especially this last one.
Old May 18th 2008, 8:02 am
What's happening dudes?

I have never complained about QLD heat, like some of the resident expats do,
but I do know that some areas would be better than others and that you would acclimatise to an extent (as was pointed out to me when I was working up there). People joke about the heat and humidity in Brisbane - look at that email joke that regularly does the rounds - they don't in Melbourne because actually, 40+ days are still quite rare.
What's the joke? Share.

I don't think Brisbane has had a 40+ day for a couple of summers actually.
;-)

cheers
Your diploma is in the post
Old May 18th 2008, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;6364565]

/QUOTE]

I love this new melbourne V bris war, think you missed a few posts bb while you were away, but it all got a bit precious and a bit of drum banging went on.

All easily explained

Of course you dont sweat in melboune the 3 million flies on your back mop it up first

And sweating in Brisbane is simply the excitement of getting off the plane after melbourne

Ducks under desk JOKE! dont emigrate on this advice
Old May 18th 2008, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

JOKE! dont emigrate on this advice
Oh, I don't know. There's been worse advice over the years
Old May 18th 2008, 8:56 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

It is handy for keeping tabs with all the real mates you have and sharing photos and experiences without having to email people.

You can lock it down to refuse strangers and not install apps if they bother you.
yep, I love going on there and being able to see my friends' latest pics.

hate those applications though.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:18 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

And sweating in Brisbane is simply the excitement of getting off the plane after melbourne
Old May 18th 2008, 9:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joke Buzzy Settle petal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.