Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The home of the free, the 'greatest' democracy on earth???

OzTennis
Why do you think I want the ***** outta here?

Yank Amy, mom of two Yank kids whose father is insufferable. Free when the youngest turns 18.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
he most busy/important part of The Netherlands is all below sea level(the 'Randstad', which includes Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague). Where as in the US, it's 'only' New Orleans, not worth the funding for the dike things
Yep -- meaning that I bet if the worst did happen, there'd be all the buses and airplanes anyone could get people loaded onto, and if they could not pay, I can't see the Dutch government leaving them behind.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:24 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
What I don't understand is though - the US government won't let consulate officals in to help their own but allow the whole of the worlds media in to film corpses floating in the flood waters and thousands of people in a terrible state.
What I can't understand is this - given that the Superdome in New Orleans was designated officially as a shelter for those people who couldn't (or didn't) leave the city before the hurricane struck land, why did it take so very long for basic provisions of bottled water and some sort of food rations to be flown in by helicopter; moreover, why did it take so long for enough army personnel (or whoever) to be flown in by helicopter to stop the stadium descending into the complete chaos that it did?

The idea that Iraq has anything to do with the delay is risible - the resources of the US in terms of people and hardware is formidable, and they're not all in Iraq - that sort of talk strikes me as being purely politically motivated (and I'm not someone who is particularly sympathetic the position that the US finds itself in in relation to Iraq).

Certainly, yes, the extent of the damage overall is extreme and beyond anyone's experience or imaginings, probably, and I am not talking about the provision of medium- or long-term aid or even about the provision of assistance to people who were scattered throughout the area - merely about emergency provisions to the people who were in the Superdome. A delay of day or two would have been reasonable, of course, but five days seems extraordinary. That situation is now passed, thank God, but it has clearly left a very bad and lingering sense of ill well among many people: not surprisingly.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:11 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, why didnt anyone tell me my husband had joined BE

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Nothing like a good whinge. I whinge at work, whinge at home. I whinge about my kids and whinge about my mother in law.

I whinge when the cat shi*ts on my new lounge carpet and whinge when I have to pay to put diesel in my car.

I whinge about my noisey neighbours and motorbikes that overtake me at 90 MPH.

I whinge about my grey hair and my man boobs. I whinge when garden hoppers break my flowers down and when the en suite toilet won't flush.

I whinge when I'm on nights and the bloody Ice cream van wakes me up. I whinge when I stub my toe or crick my neck.

I whinge when it rains, when its too hot and I don't like it when it's dull.

Why the hell do I whinge? Am I happy when I whinge? No. Do I like whinging? No. Do I think to myself while I'm whinging "what the ***** are you whinging for"? Yes. But I still do it.

Christ, I'm whinging about whinging. Anyone got some Karma for a whinging basta*d?

Whinger.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:46 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Oh no, why didnt anyone tell me my husband had joined BE
Im sorry for the dead and the fact that people were too thick to find a way out other than planes or buses. Im sure if i was told that the city was below sea level by 3 metres and there was a typhoon "maybe " heading this way, id be out of there no matter how much it cost even if i had to walk. I realise that people were too old poor etc to get out but why stay low down and die when you can go high and survive?

New Orleans was a shit hole anyway. You only had to walk down thre "wrong" street and you would be in dog shit alley with crack whores and smack heads with guns and this was 80% of the town.

I was there in march on St Patricks day, and what a shit hole bumtown it was and the people were ill educated with major attitude problems.

We were on a tram one day and it jolted and had gone on to another track doing about 2 mph as someone had left the ponts open,and there were people screaming and nearly passing out as to the thought that another tram may hit us (the tram track was perfectly straight and about 800 yards long and you could see another tram 15 minutes away) and it was as if nothing in their lives had ever happened like this to them before. Very nieve people We just sat tere and laughed as peopl thought that a terrorist bomnb had gone off,.......................... no SERIOUSLY!!!

I dont think the people asking what their gov offices in the USA can do for them was whinging, i think it was a natural reaction as we are told to contact our nearest embassy or consulate.

Anyone who wouldnt Cry for help if you were arrested in a foreign place for something you didnt do and were going to be banged up for 20 years or sentenced to death would be lyingf through their teeth and in no way a whinger. You would be on the embassy first screaming as to what they could do for you so shut up you fools.

I bet there are some Islamic fundamentalists right now saying too that thIs was "GODS WILL "on america!!

alk
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think Holland is a fantastic example to follow. There is no way that Europe would let this happen to Holland, and that is supposed to be a Soverign nation.

If the Thames barrier were to be unexpectedly breached, I dont think I would be looking west for immediate help. It would probably be Russian, French and German aid coming first, Weird eh ?

This is probably going to go down, as the sorriest event in American history.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
On a par with Slavery?

OzTennis
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think Holland is a fantastic example to follow. There is no way that Europe would let this happen to Holland, and that is supposed to be a Soverign nation.

If the Thames barrier were to be unexpectedly breached, I dont think I would be looking west for immediate help. It would probably be Russian, French and German aid coming first, Weird eh ?

The million dollar question is how would other countries cope with an event on this scale?. In the Tsunami, India managed but most of the other countries did not. The US response has been poor no doubt. Bush has been taking a lot of flak over this but a lot of this is because nobody likes him (partly his own fault) but the US has agencies/organisations to deal with events like this, FEMA, coast guard, national guard etc. & Bush should expect them to do the right thing & they didn't. It's a failure of the whole government & not just Bush. I feel a bit sorry for him, he delegated authority & they failed him.