Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

[QUOTE=Hels]
Originally Posted by Innyjim

You don't think you are perhaps being a little "media-gullible???

You don't think the Brits do the same thing? You don't think you are just hearing about all the Aussies because... you are in Australia???

I posted earlier a BBC article about Brits returning from the US after the Hurricane....and shock and horror...this was ignored because everyone was to busy Aussie Bashing....People are moaning just as much about loved ones not getting the level of help from the UK Government as they are here in Australia...

I think its just human nature to want to look after your own.....
Ermm, "Media Gullible" ??? Do you not rely on the media for your information then ? Oh, I see, YOU just believe the bits that are true........

I think you are a little paranoid and need to get a grip, I'm not really interested in a discussion that could be described as "Aussie Bashing". I thought it was running a bit deaper than that, but if that's what you want, good luck to you. Take it easy, IJ.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I have to take fault with your well composed and punctuated reply.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "round the yacht seaman" ? Is this someone that circumnavigates yachts ? Is this done in the boatyard or on water ? Is it a risky pursuit that requires frequent rescue of it's participants ?

Climbers and other adventurers are, for the most part, trained and experienced individuals who caculate risks of a given expedition based on all information available. I hardly think that Aussies ignoring the advice to evacuate could ever be described as adventurers out of the depth.

Are you always this pedantic ? If so why ?

Are you telling me despite my poor grammar the you seriously could not understand the gist of my post ?

I dont think my method of communication dilutes the argument.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Innyjim]
Originally Posted by Hels
I agree with you 100%, but I think that difference in Australia is that the families of the individuals have made complaints to Johnny Howard, via the media, that his Government are doing too little to help Australians caught up in this disaster. I am truely sorry for these Aussies who had to endure bullying in the Superdome, as I am beyond sorrow for the individuals who had to deal with rape and murder. I'm just uncomfortable with the fact that some Australians feel that they are due preferential treatment, be they caught up in a disaster zone or perhaps caught smuggling drugs into Asia......
It's the duty of all nations, to protect their citizens as best they can. The fact that Australia has better capacity than most to do this, is besides the point.

The main focus of the debate should be, why did the Americans put money before People.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:56 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Hels]

You don't think you are perhaps being a little "media-gullible???

You don't think the Brits do the same thing? You don't think you are just hearing about all the Aussies because... you are in Australia???

I posted earlier a BBC article about Brits returning from the US after the Hurricane....and shock and horror...this was ignored because everyone was to busy Aussie Bashing....People are moaning just as much about loved ones not getting the level of help from the UK Government as they are here in Australia...

I think its just human nature to want to look after your own.....
I agree totally with Hels, if you were in the same situation you too would want your governments help. On the UK news at the moment Tony Blair is having to defend himself and his government about why they were slow to react and not help. After every disaster its the same. I just think that those who go on about Aussie's whinging are being a little sensitive and who are probably pissed off with Oz for one reason or another and seeing people on TV talking about their needs they just see them as whingers. Bet if the Oz news media played bits of the Brits who are now landing in the UK with their own terror stories and the Oz media branded them as whinging Poms, the people slating the Aussies would defend the Brits attitudes.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Are you always this pedantic ? If so why ?

Are you telling me despite my poor grammar the you seriously could not understand the gist of my post ?

I dont think my method of communication dilutes the argument.
Mostly I am, yeah, it makes me feel superior in arguments.

I'm really sorry, and you're right of course. The Australian Government should have sent in a squadron of choppers from a huge aircraft carrier that was anchored off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. These could then have hovered over the Superdome whilst SAS dropped from ropes and stormed the building, popping caps in the asses of any Johnny Foreigners who stood in their way. Once all the Aussie Battlers were rounded up by the brave troops, they could've hot footed it back to the choppers under a hail of constant gunfire and disappeared into the sunset.....

Perhaps they could make a film about it in a year or two starring Mel Gibson and Bryan Brown ?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:01 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, I have to take fault with your well composed and punctuated reply.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "round the yacht seaman" ? Is this someone that circumnavigates yachts ? Is this done in the boatyard or on water ? Is it a risky pursuit that requires frequent rescue of it's participants ?
I think to pick holes in what folks have miss-typed is ignorant and very childish. FFS if you don't like what someone has written don't lower yourself to nit picking.

Oh in if I have smelt anything worng don't bother pointing it oot
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mostly I am, yeah, it makes me feel superior in arguments.

I'm really sorry, and you're right of course. The Australian Government should have sent in a squadron of choppers from a huge aircraft carrier that was anchored off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. These could then have hovered over the Superdome whilst SAS dropped from ropes and stormed the building, popping caps in the asses of any Johnny Foreigners who stood in their way. Once all the Aussie Battlers were rounded up by the brave troops, they could've hot footed it back to the choppers under a hail of constant gunfire and disappeared into the sunset.....

Perhaps they could make a film about it in a year or two starring Mel Gibson and Bryan Brown ?
You had best listen to the news, and try and get the facts of the matter.

There are Australian forces working in America on training missions, flying 100 pct Australian Equipment, and using 100 pct Australian personal. Despite a request from the Australian Government, they were not allowed to be Utilized

Best you tune to 3AW here in Melbourne I think.

Your going from the sublime to the ridiculous why ?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=the Wombats]
Originally Posted by Hels

I just think that those who go on about Aussie's whinging are being a little sensitive and who are probably pissed off with Oz for one reason or another and seeing people on TV talking about their needs they just see them as whingers. Bet if the Oz news media played bits of the Brits who are now landing in the UK with their own terror stories and the Oz media branded them as whinging Poms, the people slating the Aussies would defend the Brits attitudes.
This has got nothing to do with Aussies vs Poms. I don't give a rats where the people came from. Anyone, from any country, who travels overseas, ignores well-publicised instructions to evacuate a city in imminent danger (no doubt because they believe 'it won't happen to me') and THEN whinges because their government won't pull out all stops to rescue them should have their passports confiscated.

Why? Because they're too thick to own one.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=nickyc]
Originally Posted by the Wombats

This has got nothing to do with Aussies vs Poms. I don't give a rats where the people came from. Anyone, from any country, who travels overseas, ignores well-publicised instructions to evacuate a city in imminent danger (no doubt because they believe 'it won't happen to me') and THEN whinges because their government won't pull out all stops to rescue them should have their passports confiscated.

Why? Because they're too thick to own one.
Thank god for that ! I thought I was the only sane one on here !
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:27 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents are that the place is flooded, and makes it extremely hard to rescue etc. Storms, cyclones etc cause major destruction but cars, trucks, earth moving equipment, planes, ambulances, etc can get in and do what they do.

Also a big problem now is drugs, or lack of drugs. There are alot of druggies there and would now be going through withdrawals, and I reckon that would have a lot to do with some of the shootings there.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:36 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Also a big problem now is drugs, or lack of drugs. There are alot of druggies there and would now be going through withdrawals, .
Now thats where australia can help. Send some backpackers there. Redirect them from Indo and bali
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:55 am
Badge

Originally Posted by jad n rich
A little bit south of the main zone but yep highly possible, and long overdue if what the locals say is correct

Prefer that to the southern states, risking a few zillion acre bushfire put me right off when we visted a school near emerald and it had a nice metal room for the kids in the event of major bushfire coming through before they could get out

Anyway lets hope we dont get to see how our emergency services cope this summer.
indeed. Much of Australia is at risk from fire in different seasons. For SE QLD it is spring, before summer rains can mitigate danger.

One of the things that is not backward is the Australian BOM. The breath of stats, updated daily is amazing.

One of my fav sites.

Badge
Attached Thumbnails Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans-fireseasons.gif  

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Same the world over. You can have a major disaster anywhere in the world and your country's media will start off with how many of your countrymen were involved. Aus is no different to anywhere else. You tend to look after your own before looking after others. Human nature. Unfortunately the US government don't appear to have read that bit of the manual yet.
The Sun newspaper would say xx no of 'Britons' etc. Many countries focus on their own nationals - it brings an international story into perspective for nationals.

Badge

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:15 am
Badge

I knew a man who had single handedly sailed across the Atlantic.

He had a crew of 6 but had his left arm amputated many years before.

Badge

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
The Sun newspaper would say xx no of 'Britons' etc. Many countries focus on their own nationals - it brings an international story into perspective for nationals.

Badge
Yep. I put Channel7, 9 and 10 news and current affairs in the same quality category as British tabloids.

Seems like the Americans are targetting FEMA and expenditure diversion to Iraq for blame. I was stunned to find out that the head of FEMA didn't know what was going on in when the press had been reporting the issues for 48 hours. Many have noted the more rapid response the Tsunami received in supposedly third world nations. In these events a rapid response saves lives and sadly many have died due to the tardy responses. That people are dieing of thirst and water born diseases, whilst woman are miscarrying in the heat and whilst the old and infirm die of heat stroke I am truly shocked and saddened at the FEMA response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.