Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Old Sep 5th 2005, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whingeing Aussies in New Orleans

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Which brings me back to australia, cities here now have millions of people not 45,000, take bris in summer any main route out of the city becomes chogged with just one car overheating or one accident, imagine if 3 million had to evacuate at once. We'd be stuffed too. Same scenario for Victoria or Sydney and NSW if Terrorism or Bushfires of the past magnitude hit.

Ash Wednesday 1983, Most of the South Eastern corner of Australia was on Fire, about 3,000 houses destroyed, Melbourne and Adelaide, basically cut of from the rest of Australia. dozens killed.

Coped well due to foresight, planning, and "not counting" the cost.

There are only 5 significant cities in which a similar distaster could happen in Australia. Broome, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, And Rockhampton. You can bet your bottom AUD (cos obviously the USD is taboo) That contigency plans from all angles have been taken into account.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, I honestly believe two things: the government didn't want to show the world just how bad things had gotten; and that rescuing only the Aussies might have been unsafe. All that the people would have seen is that white foreigners were being rescued, but they weren't, and they might have rioted. Hotel Rwanda part II.

I am still in utter disbelief over this issue. I saw a group of 8-10 winging Aussie adolescents on Sky News last talking about there ordeal in the Superdome. These were young travellers, many doing a gap year round the globe with, no doubt with Daddy's credit card in their wallets. The world was told that Katrina was heading their way on at least 4 days before it hit and the people of New Orleans were advised to evacuate. The majority left behind were too poor, too black, too sick, too pregnant, too old, too alone, too dead to leave the city. What was the excuse of these young/rich/fit Aussies ?

Now I'm far from any sort of fan of Bush, but I'm sure he thought he far bigger fish to fry than to give the go ahead for the Australian cavalry to swoop in and rescue their own nationals.

Shame on you Australia......
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Innyjim
I am still in utter disbelief over this issue. I saw a group of 8-10 winging Aussie adolescents on Sky News last talking about there ordeal in the Superdome. These were young travellers, many doing a gap year round the globe with, no doubt with Daddy's credit card in their wallets. The world was told that Katrina was heading their way on at least 4 days before it hit and the people of New Orleans were advised to evacuate. The majority left behind were too poor, too black, too sick, too pregnant, too old, too alone, too dead to leave the city. What was the excuse of these young/rich/fit Aussies ?

Now I'm far from any sort of fan of Bush, but I'm sure he thought he far bigger fish to fry than to give the go ahead for the Australian cavalry to swoop in and rescue their own nationals.

Ignorance is their excuse, so on your basis, Never rescue a round the yacht seaman, a Mountaineer, or any other adventurer that gets out of his depth.

The fact remains, that Australia did indeed have the Capacity to get these people out.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:04 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The fact remains, that Australia did indeed have the Capacity to get these people out.
I agree, and if ever there is a next time (shudder) don't ask for permission first, just go land some choppers. But please rescue as many people as you can -- not just Australians.

Then Americans would hail you as heroes.

I know if there is a next time I'm going to go pick up refugees on my own, screw FEMA, who told us NOT to do so.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the excuse of these young/rich/fit Aussies ?

Possibly the same reasons 100 or so UK Citizens were stuck there and didnt heed the warnings....and probably 1000's of other International travellers that were trapped there....

"It wont happen to me!!!"

Its so nice to be able to sit in our comfy chairs at home, watching this unravel on the TV and judge!! Have you ever been in this situation??? Have you ever been in a forgein country (A country one would expect never to have to go through anything like this), through a natural disaster and the only hope you have is possibly your own country coming to your rescue?

Some of the things these kids have seen.....no matter whether they are rich or poor, they would have been scared to hell!!

No, shame on YOU!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ignorance is their excuse, so on your basis, Never rescue a round the yacht seaman, a Mountaineer, or any other adventurer that gets out of his depth.

Sorry, I have to take fault with your well composed and punctuated reply.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "round the yacht seaman" ? Is this someone that circumnavigates yachts ? Is this done in the boatyard or on water ? Is it a risky pursuit that requires frequent rescue of it's participants ?

Climbers and other adventurers are, for the most part, trained and experienced individuals who caculate risks of a given expedition based on all information available. I hardly think that Aussies ignoring the advice to evacuate could ever be described as adventurers out of the depth.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Possibly the same reasons 100 or so UK Citizens were stuck there and didnt heed the warnings....and probably 1000's of other International travellers that were trapped there....

"It wont happen to me!!!"

Its so nice to be able to sit in our comfy chairs at home, watching this unravel on the TV and judge!! Have you ever been in this situation???
Very true, I was in Cairns, as a backpacker, a few years back during a very close call with a cyclone, I dread to think what would have happened had it come in there and not about 100 ks south.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:25 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I have to take fault with your well composed and punctuated reply.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "round the yacht seaman" ? Is this someone that circumnavigates yachts ? Is this done in the boatyard or on water ? Is it a risky pursuit that requires frequent rescue of it's participants ?
LOL...!!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Hels]

Some of the things these kids have seen.....no matter whether they are rich or poor, they would have been scared to hell!!

QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more, my point exactly, the rescue mission shouldn't have been based on wealth, nationality, colour, age, etc...... They are all victims whether they be from Australia, UK, Canada, US, etc etc....... Who can expect any special treatment.....?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:43 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse the ignorance, but does Australia have helicopters within range of getting to these guys within a few days.

Plus, had Australia landed without the permission of America, the US Govt would have gone mental. Consider the same thing happening here and soldiers from what is considered a minor nation turn up on Aussie soil uninvited.

Also, how do you land a helicopter and take just the Aussies without getting swamped.

Finally, why do Australians think that as Australians they have any significance in the world. Their nationals mean nothing more to the US than anyone else.

Paul.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Innyjim]
Who can expect any special treatment.....?
I think the rich white tourists were getting their own "special treatment" at the hands of the out of control element in the Superdome. I've been to New Orleans and even in normal times it's a scary, dangerous place.

They were in great danger of being killed, which is why it's right they were given special status and got out earlier than the rest.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:55 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Innyjim]

QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more, my point exactly, the rescue mission shouldn't have been based on wealth, nationality, colour, age, etc...... They are all victims whether they be from Australia, UK, Canada, US, etc etc....... Who can expect any special treatment.....?

I am sure that these people, sitting in the Dome with all the other US, UK and other International Citizens werent expecting "special" treatment. I am sure everyone that was stranded in New Orleans expected the same level of treatment. To be rescued as soon as possible. To have access to water, shelter, food etc. The fact that Aussie, UK and other International Citizens wanted help from their own Government when the US wasnt helping is totally understandable in my opinion. I would have done the same. Especially if, as reported they were getting targeted by locals and being bashed and bullied. Most of these people were fearing for their life.

I cant even begin to imagine what it must be like for any of the people that have been trapped in New Orleans....I for one hope I never find out....
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I agree, and if ever there is a next time (shudder) don't ask for permission first, just go land some choppers. But please rescue as many people as you can -- not just Australians.

Then Americans would hail you as heroes.

I know if there is a next time I'm going to go pick up refugees on my own, screw FEMA, who told us NOT to do so.
For God's sake!

We are talking here of a few Australians: there were probably travellers from a hundred countries in the Big Easy who were too bombed out, ignorant or arrogant to evacuate as they were told to.

Logically you would have hundreds of countries' armies flying helicopters and personnel in to evacuate their own.

It's this sort of woolly thinking that disaster managemant has to keep firmly in control, otherwise the plot really IS lost!

And, again: New Orleans is NOT like any of the Australian towns mentioned: with the walls breached it WILL NOT GET BETTER ON IT'S OWN! The water stays in situ until the infrastructure can be put back together.

When I lived in Florida we had hurricanes barrelling in half a dozen times a year. We were not stupid enough to stay and see what it was like - we have seen what it is like on TV too many times. But, if a hurricane and storm surge DID hit, at least the water would drain away of its own accord. It won't in New Orleans, and THAT is the fundamental difference, and why it's not got an easy solution.

Last edited by Rog Williams; Sep 5th 2005 at 6:20 am.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Hels]

I am sure that these people, sitting in the Dome with all the other US, UK and other International Citizens werent expecting "special" treatment. I am sure everyone that was stranded in New Orleans expected the same level of treatment. To be rescued as soon as possible. To have access to water, shelter, food etc. The fact that Aussie, UK and other International Citizens wanted help from their own Government when the US wasnt helping is totally understandable in my opinion. I would have done the same. Especially if, as reported they were getting targeted by locals and being bashed and bullied. Most of these people were fearing for their life.

I cant even begin to imagine what it must be like for any of the people that have been trapped in New Orleans....I for one hope I never find out....
I agree with you 100%, but I think that difference in Australia is that the families of the individuals have made complaints to Johnny Howard, via the media, that his Government are doing too little to help Australians caught up in this disaster. I am truely sorry for these Aussies who had to endure bullying in the Superdome, as I am beyond sorrow for the individuals who had to deal with rape and murder. I'm just uncomfortable with the fact that some Australians feel that they are due preferential treatment, be they caught up in a disaster zone or perhaps caught smuggling drugs into Asia......
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:31 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Innyjim]
I agree with you 100%, but I think that difference in Australia is that the families of the individuals have made complaints to Johnny Howard, via the media, that his Government are doing too little to help Australians caught up in this disaster. I am truely sorry for these Aussies who had to endure bullying in the Superdome, as I am beyond sorrow for the individuals who had to deal with rape and murder. I'm just uncomfortable with the fact that some Australians feel that they are due preferential treatment, be they caught up in a disaster zone or perhaps caught smuggling drugs into Asia......

You don't think you are perhaps being a little "media-gullible???

You don't think the Brits do the same thing? You don't think you are just hearing about all the Aussies because... you are in Australia???

I posted earlier a BBC article about Brits returning from the US after the Hurricane....and shock and horror...this was ignored because everyone was to busy Aussie Bashing....People are moaning just as much about loved ones not getting the level of help from the UK Government as they are here in Australia...

I think its just human nature to want to look after your own.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.