Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

I've just been looking on the Red Cross website and they are saying they are not accepting goods at this time. Bushfire appeal page here: http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/servi...ppeal-2009.htm
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Originally Posted by Wendy
Why not fill in the online form and ask the question? http://www.redcross.org.au/contactus_default.asp
Wendy ,i think Amanda Blair from 5AA is organising somthing at the Show ground,s on SAT ,a collection point for good used clothing, the BLAKE family who own FOODLAND stores are giving $42,000 in food to the appeal........mmmm
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Hi everyone,
These horrible fires got us talking.... How many people around Australia have clothes, shoes, bags, cosmetics, food, stationary, DVDs, whitegoods, small appliances etc that they simply don't need or use and would like to donate to good use for the victims of the Victorian fires???

I could easily get a truckload full of good usable stuff from our local community, but question arises... Does anyone have any solid knowledge or experience as to how to get it to Victoria from country WA? Simple thing is that we are not rich, and cannot fund such a thing ourselves. Have looked at Red Cross and Salvos websites etc but all they want is money donations.

So here I, and my friends, are with cupboards full of good usable stuff in excellent condition that no doubt would be usable (would certainly be for us if in that situation and waiting for finances to come back from insurances etc), wondering if you have any ideas as to how to go about this???
It's just given a list of places where you can donate clothes on the news. Can't remember them all, but two are the salvation army or red cross centres in your state.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:24 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I realise that they can't use all the stuff yet, however, some people are in dire need of clothes etc. To get them from WA to Vic does take time as well so it would not happen in a day. Money I have already donated, thing I was after was the point that like with our family, with 3 growing kids, we have heaps of stuff around our house no longer used but in good condition. And rather than waste them, here is a way to put them in good use (ie. think of all the kids that lost all clothes and toys...)

I have been going through our stuff and will take them to local red cross tomorrow, hoping they will find their destination and will be of any use to someone. I also spoke to some local schools suggesting free dress day for gold coin donation, so far they are taking it aboard, however was disappointed that our own school seemed very reluctant for the work involved (printing a note and collecting a coin is sooooo hard under the circumstances!!). Considering that most schools have heaps of kids and most towns have heaps of school, fair amount of money could be raised... So theres a thought for all you parents, please suggest the same to your schools!!!

Thank you everyone for your replies, it has been much appreciated! I think little from everyone can create so much, may it be money or material, and as said, we are not rich or well off, but I still believe that if I put my little bit in along with others, we can make it something so much bigger
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately donations of "stuff" can be more of a hindrance than a help on the ground. We found that with the Canberra bushfires - everyone wanted to give us stuff but there was nowhere to sort it and store it and a lot of it (hate to say this) was just tossed. Really, money is the best option so maybe selling your things locally and sending the money would be good or taking things to op shops in your area so that they can sell it and send the money on. That way they can get vouchers so people can choose and get new stuff. You never want to discourage people but usually the best thing to do is wait and see if they ask for things - often things like toiletries, personal care items etc are requested.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

put HOT FM on (or check out their website) they are at the old bed shed building (next to dick smith electronincs) on Blair Street in Bunbury acceptin donations for truckin over to victoria. They are there until 8pm tonight and will be there sorting stuff out for the next couple fo days so good place to start