Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Forecast Temps to Hit 44 on Saturday... Jeees, and the BOM reckon that the highest Temp in Melbourne could be smashed of 45.7! It will be an extremly dangerous day with the high winds and Dry Heat! Take Care anyone in VIC, SA, and probably NSW! These conditions are worse than Ash Wednesday that killed over 40 people in and around Melbourne. Its a strange time as its freezing blizzards back home!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Originally Posted by 29palms
Forecast Temps to Hit 44 on Saturday... Jeees, and the BOM reckon that the highest Temp in Melbourne could be smashed of 45.7! It will be an extremly dangerous day with the high winds and Dry Heat! Take Care anyone in VIC, SA, and probably NSW! These conditions are worse than Ash Wednesday that killed over 40 people in and around Melbourne. Its a strange time as its freezing blizzards back home!

It hit 43.9 degrees here in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide at 5pm this afternoon more expected tomorrow, although a cool change is due sometime around midday. I am praying that it comes early on as all of my garden is dead - apart from the lemon tree which has millions of lemons on

Stay safe everyone
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Lived here for nearly 4 years, it the worst I have seen VIC and its on the verge of being a desert, dry as anything, no rain for 55 days! Tomorow will be a shocker, the Heatwave is going to end on potentiolly the hottest ever day recorded!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Lived here for nearly 4 years, it the worst I have seen VIC and its on the verge of being a desert, dry as anything, no rain for 55 days! Tomorow will be a shocker, the Heatwave is going to end on potentiolly the hottest ever day recorded!

Yeah, I have been here for three and I have never this hot in my life! Even last year with the heatwave we had I'm sure it wasn't this bad (although it probably was, but I've forgot )

Lets hope it all gets back to normal next year. 2 or 3 days is OK, but when it gets to weeks it's very draining.

For those that are interested I found this really good site, it has all the stats on. You can personalise it and everything. http://www.weatherzone.com.au/
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wendy;7256132]apart from the lemon tree which has millions of lemons on

QUOTE]

Perhaps your husband has been 'watering' it

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow - no good to go to the beach as it's going to be very windy too - just have to gatecrash the neighbour's pool again!!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps your husband has been 'watering' it

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow - no good to go to the beach as it's going to be very windy too - just have to gatecrash the neighbour's pool again!!
It's right next to the rain water tank, so I suspect that's got something to do with it and your 1st point wouldn't surprise me either
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you guys. It sounds unbearable, hope it breaks soon. Presumably Wendy, you have plenty of Vodka?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, not looking too good down there at all. It's pretty bloody up here too at the mo - we are heading for 39 which is hot for this area (not the hottest day ever but quite close). Victoria currently has quite a few fires on the go state fire map
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Today we we will be mainly hiding indoors. Last week it was 37c in the house and didn't drop below 33c for 3 days.

Most of the plants in our garden have some black leaves looks like they've had a blow torch on them
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Scary situation, we have the inlaw from melb up here with us, was for a week, now staying unless the house burns down Given its near the coast with no trees, I doubt it, however I know all too well how hot it gets down there we experienced it one february. Remember a school princpal telling us about the steel lined room in case of bushfire, sent chills down my spine.

Was down at healsville Christmas time, it was freezing, but my first comments were OMG imagine this in 45 degrees, damn scary place the caravan parks are in
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I was in Aus in 83 and I thought that what happened with the fires made the day to be called Ash Wednesday. Not the other way around......sorry don't know why I am posting this...back to the wine it is
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I should know a bit about this but I feel confused.

Felt cool yesterday afternoon and last night. It's as if this 43 degree day is just going to creep up on us. Normally they come after a fairly hot day before. With a change tonight, and a much cooler one tomorrow we need to get through it.

Fire burning East of Pakenham. Everyone is watching that one.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:14 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

9am and 33c and not so much as a draft yet!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
9am and 33c and not so much as a draft yet!
It seems OK here for the time being but it is picking up.

This is a straight copy out of something I said on another post - and much more applicable here:

The Premier almost seems to be talking it up. I think he just wants people to stay at home out of trouble and that as he knows it will get cooler next week, doesn't want people to relax too much on the last day of a hot week or 2.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I was in Aus in 83 and I thought that what happened with the fires made the day to be called Ash Wednesday. Not the other way around......sorry don't know why I am posting this...back to the wine it is
I love posts made whilst under the influence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.