Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Originally Posted by Wendy
They're donating their profits to the farmers on Friday 20th Feb, so next week

Agree with all the rest. Woolies actually donated $1m yesterday through the Cricket, and all they got for that was their name flash up for 10 seconds on the TV.
Thanks. Didn't read the sign properly, just saw the Friday bit. I'm sure the victims of the fires couldn't give a rats arse how the money is raised, just damn grateful for anything.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from Coles at Capalaba Park and am a bit disappointed.

The checkout person told me and another customer that because Coles is donating the profits to the bushfire appeal today, they are reducing staff's shifts next week. The aforementioned staff member did not look very happy about it.

Now, I don't know if the decision to cut staff's hours was unique to this particular branch/shop. Would someone else who's planning to go to Coles today please ask the checkout person if they are doing the same?

If this is common practice, I would love this to be known, and let the staff get the recognition for their unvoluntary contribution and/or sacrifice.

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:24 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll ask my friend, she works at Capalaba Park and was there today (she was my checkout person actually).

I'm not sure about next week but I can tell you that she's been dying to get more hours and originally had today off. They called her yesterday to see if she could come in to work because they figured it would be busy. She didn't mention anything about next week's hours being cut, I'm sure she would have mentioned it if that had happened to her. I'll make sure to ask though and see what she says.

P.S. To Mrs. JTL - My kids love the bags
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:06 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I've just come back from Coles at Capalaba Park and am a bit disappointed.

The checkout person told me and another customer that because Coles is donating the profits to the bushfire appeal today, they are reducing staff's shifts next week. The aforementioned staff member did not look very happy about it.

Now, I don't know if the decision to cut staff's hours was unique to this particular branch/shop. Would someone else who's planning to go to Coles today please ask the checkout person if they are doing the same?

If this is common practice, I would love this to be known, and let the staff get the recognition for their unvoluntary contribution and/or sacrifice.

Mrs JTL
No suprises there ! They are are not donating the profits , and advertising the fact, for any other reason than for cheap publicity and to con you good shoppers that they care ! What they donate in profits they will claw back by other means i.e. cut staff hours and probably reduce the charity budget that they already had set up. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited by BAY; Feb 13th 2009 at 4:09 am.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BAY
No suprises there ! They are are not donating the profits , and advertising the fact, for any other reason than for cheap publicity and to con you good shoppers that they care ! What they donate in profits they will claw back by other means i.e. cut staff hours and probably reduce the charity budget that they already had set up. Wake up and smell the coffee.
We get the point.... you don't like it.

One mention of staff hours does not automatically mean that's what's happening across the country. We'll just have to wait and see how much is actually donated.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:19 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
We get the point.... you don't like it.

One mention of staff hours does not automatically mean that's what's happening across the country. We'll just have to wait and see how much is actually donated.
I like donating to charity. I don't like the way that businesses cynically exploit the situation and use it to get cheap advertising.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by BAY
I like donating to charity. I don't like the way that businesses cynically exploit the situation and use it to get cheap advertising.
Yes, I understand all of that.

That's where we see things differently. I also see it as a means of cheap advertising, etc, but I don't really care because money is going to a good cause. But that's just me.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i spent $200 in coles................................ last night....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:40 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I understand all of that.

That's where we see things differently. I also see it as a means of cheap advertising, etc, but I don't really care because money is going to a good cause. But that's just me.
But what they give with one had they take with the other, so they reduce staff hours and they'll probably reduce the charity budget that they already have, thus depriving other good causes of money. Are you ok with this ?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:50 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by BAY
But what they give with one had they take with the other, so they reduce staff hours and they'll probably reduce the charity budget that they already have, thus depriving other good causes of money. Are you ok with this ?
I wouldn't be ok with them reducing staff hours, and obviously I would like it if they kept their charity budget as is.

Although I must say if they are not taking in any profits for a day then I don't see an issue with them reducing their charity budget accordingly. After all they would in effect be donating the same amount of money although possibly in a differnt way. A cause is a cause and who am I to say who or what should get the money. They are free to choose to donate to whoever they want.

Besides, aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself. Based on one comment you're already talking like it's a given they are reducing hours across the country. How do you even know this is happening? For all we know it might have been some dissatisfied worked spouting off because they didn't get their way, or perhaps they were telling the truth. How do you know? I will definitely be asking my friend who works at the EXACT SAME STORE as the one Mrs JTL went to.

Now, if you're going to get annoyed with something I would get annoyed at them for hiring way to many part time staff and not giving them the hours they want, as is the case at this particular store. At that store it's an ongoing theme lately and it has absolutely nothing to do with them donating money. To be honest, that particular Coles has hired all sorts of new staff since November and has cut everyone's hours to the point that they're all ticked off for hardly getting any work.

That I can get annoyed about, and I suspect it's more a staffing problem (management problem) at this particular store where the employee made a comment.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
We don't know yet if the reduction in staff hours applies to only one shop or more. That's why I'm asking fellow posters to check and let us know.

Have you spoken to any Coles staff? If not, stop being even more cynical than I. I've always been very cynical about large organizations and things they do, but if they're donating money for a good cause, good on them, let them be.

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

well i wouldnt blame coles or woolies for donating nothing if they saw some of the replies on here
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:02 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

My husband just sent this to me from work.

If you shop at Coles this Friday they will donate the profits to the fire victims. I regularly shop there so I'll be making sure I stock up on Friday.

http://www.coles.com.au/about/news/d...eal%20Fund.pdf
Just been for my weekly shop at Coles. Can't do much but could at least get the groceries.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:11 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Just been for my weekly shop at Coles. Can't do much but could at least get the groceries.

Cheers

Ginny
We've just been as well....but we'll be shopping again tomorrow. THERE WAS NO FOOD LEFT !
Obviously a good turnout earlier ;-)
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's of any interest and if it matters, Woolies called up earlier to see if First Born could work tomorrow as they want all tills open all day. They have also had collection tins out the last couple of days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.