Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:18 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Yep, friend of my partners daughter is half sri lankan and was there for Christmas, hasn't been heard from since

There's one in Kelvin Grove I think, can't seem to find more details on the web for it though - wouldn't be surprised if there was one in the city also; am back in work tomorrow (in CBD) so will see if I can find out anything.
Thanks for any intelligence you may have on this one. The victims may not need the goods shipped right now, but if it's like some of the other similar disasters, they sure will in the coming weeks.....

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Thanks for any intelligence you may have on this one. The victims may not need the goods shipped right now, but if it's like some of the other similar disasters, they sure will in the coming weeks.....

Cheers,
Anya.

Well I did a bit of research today - seems that in some countries Department stores are acting as a collection point, I went to DJ & Myers, but nowt going on there
On the news they've just announced local collection points in Brisbane, (Mrs DB) the Brisbane CBD one is in the Valley, Alfred St. Unfortunately I didn't get the number, but will keep watching and hopefully get it next time! Apparently collection points for the country will be on the ninemsn website, I did have a look but there's so many links I couldn't find the right one
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

ravi007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I am trying to track down any organisations based in Melbourne that will accept goods (rather than just cash) for the victims of the Tsunami disaster.

Like many new immigrants, we have already donated cash & will keep doing so, but having sorted out what we do/don't need for our new life here, we now have loads of spare clothes, bedding, household goods etc that we are sure could be of practical use to some of the victims.

I did hear something about Melbourne Sri Lankans trying to organise shipments, so if anyone has any more info about this and/or other similar groups shipping goods, please let me know & I will share the info around.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Anya.

Hi!
fsdfdfsdfdjfkdjfksdjfkdjfk
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Michelle, I'll have a look at 9msn later as well & see what I can find out.

As everyone keeps saying money is best, but Im sure they must be able to use other stuff as well.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:43 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Thanx Michelle, I'll have a look at 9msn later as well & see what I can find out.

As everyone keeps saying money is best, but Im sure they must be able to use other stuff as well.

No probs - I'll try and watch at the same time tonight also (6pm I think)

If anyone is in the UK and has any influence or ideas perhaps they could help LucyB??
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...62#post1940862
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I looked but couldnt find anything on the ninemsn site either . I will try to watch the news tonight (I presume it was channel 9 news at 6pm?), but Im rarely in the house at that time (you know, making the most of no daylight after 5pm & all that ), so if anyone sees it could they please post the details.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:36 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Well I looked but couldnt find anything on the ninemsn site either . I will try to watch the news tonight (I presume it was channel 9 news at 6pm?), but Im rarely in the house at that time (you know, making the most of no daylight after 5pm & all that ), so if anyone sees it could they please post the details.

Could quite possibly have been the local news on 9 at 5.30pm actually. Leaving work early today, so will try and watch again tonight (with pen in hand).