Tsunami?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tsunami?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No-one knew what it would do when it got here, as there was so much ocean to cross. I'm guessing a bit about why the beaches were closed later in the day, but there was still an alert for bigger waves than usual, so I think it was probably a better safe than sorry - as Biggy said, the ocean was very weird.
It could have been very nasty - the Solomons got it badly, and anyone who thinks the authorities overreacted here should remember - if we hadn't issued any warnings, and Qld had been hit badly, you'd all have been baying for our blood. Better safe than sorry.

There really was an air of holding our breath at work - with the cyclones you see them coimng on radar, you can predict the track and strength to some extent. A tsunami is a lot harder to track, and just builds out of nowhere, one minute things are calm, next minute you have an earthquake and a mega-wave.
A lot of evacuation plans were being put into action, but its a tightrope to wlak - how soon do you move people, how soon are you sure the wave is coming........
The response was appropriate, it's just the public hadnt been educated as to what it all meant and how to respond.

The media didnt help when a local radio station claimed the warning had been withdrawn at the same time as BOM was updating the warning.

WW
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabc
So can I and it's 6.30 in the evening
Yeah, I bet you had a busy one too....?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:24 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
The response was appropriate, it's just the public hadnt been educated as to what it all meant and how to respond.

The media didnt help when a local radio station claimed the warning had been withdrawn at the same time as BOM was updating the warning.

WW
Great, thats all we need.
For info, the media releases that come out from EMQ & Emergency Services go straight to ABC, and the advice we were told to give people this morning was to keep tuned to ABC. Hopefully THEY had the rigth info........
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I bet you had a busy one too....?
Yeh, you could say that We evacuated essential services early this morning and the fall out has lasted all day. At least we were on top of it. (rather than underneath it )
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Great, thats all we need.
For info, the media releases that come out from EMQ & Emergency Services go straight to ABC, and the advice we were told to give people this morning was to keep tuned to ABC. Hopefully THEY had the rigth info........
Err,I think the boss listens to ABC and that's who informed us about the warning withdrawl .....

WW
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Err,I think the boss listens to ABC and that's who informed us about the warning withdrawl .....

WW
OK, thanks for the info, I'll pass it up the line tomorrow. Its the only way it'll go smoother next time is if we get the feedback on the problems
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:14 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Ste and I were in the city and we met up and then drove to the kids school, collected them and went home together - when you've got children you want to have them under your wing and to be together.
i here what your saying leigh but if you were concerned why would you come home to kewarra. why not drive up redlynch valley to the higher ground when you picked the kids up.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, thanks for the info, I'll pass it up the line tomorrow. Its the only way it'll go smoother next time is if we get the feedback on the problems
An easy-to-find 'impending disaster' one stop web site that combines all official info would be really useful to try to plan a personal course of action.

Radio has a place but I wonder if the media releases are trimmed down to suit programming.

WW
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone's interested - Mrs Buzzy and I were saved from the Tsunami in Sri Lanka..... by our unborn twins!

The Doctor banned Mrs B from flying due to twin pregnancy, if she hadn't been pregnant, we would have landed in Sri Lanka at 5.30am on Boxing Day 2004.

Phew!

Buzzy
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

An easy-to-find 'impending disaster' one stop web site that combines all official info would be really useful to try to plan a personal course of action.

Radio has a place but I wonder if the media releases are trimmed down to suit programming.

WW
There is work ongoing to provide central information on websites etc - problem is having the available staff to update the sites as an ongoing task. We have a superb new tasking system within the Disaster Coordination Centre now, designed partly from lessons learnt after Larry. There are also moves afoot to set up central, well-publicised phone numbers, for the SES for example, as in other States, so that everyone knows the number in advance instead of phoning round offices and getting the cleaner, or whoever is passing an unattended desk at the time!
One thing that was noticeable to us today was the speed with which a 1800 number was made available - much quicker than Larry. We were told it was being broadcast on radio/TV etc - I'd be interested to know how true that was?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
If anyone's interested - Mrs Buzzy and I were saved from the Tsunami in Sri Lanka..... by our unborn twins!

The Doctor banned Mrs B from flying due to twin pregnancy, if she hadn't been pregnant, we would have landed in Sri Lanka at 5.30am on Boxing Day 2004.

Phew!

Buzzy
That is one spooky story
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
i here what your saying leigh but if you were concerned why would you come home to kewarra. why not drive up redlynch valley to the higher ground when you picked the kids up.
Hiya,
'cos Steve wanted us to go home he reckons we're 20 metres above sea level on our side of the highway?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:17 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Ste and I were in the city and we met up and then drove to the kids school, collected them and went home together - when you've got children you want to have them under your wing and to be together.
youre giving me the sh*ts now mate
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
youre giving me the sh*ts now mate
Ah, look, it was a bit scary for us at the time (and obviously by the posts on this thread, not everyone scares as easily as us...)but to put it in perspective, it is one of those 'once in a blue moon' events and could easily have happened anywhere around the coast of OZ.

I remember when the Cairns post did a locals supplement (January 2005) after the boxing day tsunami, basically saying that one would never hit us, as the reef would break it before it hit! Obviously not and that's where the panic comes in - lots of misinformation, panic because no one knows where is best to go to for higher ground and generally panic when you have children - your main concern is for them, to grab 'em and protect - then the headless chicken syndrome sets in - its all human nature...

If you're migrating anywhere in OZ, a Tsunami is equally as likely to hit wherever you are (if you're near coastal).

So, how's your outback lingo these days - I'm brushing up on mine as we speak!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

If you're migrating anywhere in OZ, a Tsunami is equally as likely to hit wherever you are (if you're near coastal).
Thats very true. It could have devastated a large area of north Brisbane, for example. We did an exercise at work a couple of years ago based on a dam wall giving way at North Pine Dam - the water would ahve flowed straight towards the sea.....taking out everything between us here (Aspley) and the north end of the Redcliffe Peninsula. Thats a huge suburban area, and all that could have been equally wiped out by the tsunami. Plus it would have carried the tide up the river, taking out a lot of the city itself.

Rabc could tell you that the guys up there had their disaster plans out and being activated.

The overall problem is though - the ocean is unpredictable, ann people got the best warning they could have got. If that earthquake had been closer, off NZ maybe, that tsunami could've hit the eastern coast of Aus while eevryone was still eating their sugar puffs. It could happen. It could even be an earthquake on the mainland itself....look at Newcastle (NSW) a few years ago......

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 4th 2007 at 12:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.