Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tsunami?

Originally Posted by rodders39
$40 for another 2/3 k...!!!
i know, shocking! must have charged him tourists rates
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
This has just been on our news, said the earthquake caused quite a few deaths
Yup. Solomon Islands copped it big time unfortunately
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yup. Solomon Islands copped it big time unfortunately
Ummmmm, at lunchtime I popped into Noosa to go to bank - big sign on ANZ door saying 'Closed due to Tsunami'! What???? Anyway, lots of people were complaining, apparently their head office is in Cairns, and with that closed, they all had to close!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:36 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i know, shocking! must have charged him tourists rates
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:40 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ummmmm, at lunchtime I popped into Noosa to go to bank - big sign on ANZ door saying 'Closed due to Tsunami'! What???? Anyway, lots of people were complaining, apparently their head office is in Cairns, and with that closed, they all had to close!
seens of utter chaos in cairns today. people literally fleeing for the hills. massive traffick jams on all the range roads.people just up and left work for the day.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
seens of utter chaos in cairns today. people literally fleeing for the hills. massive traffick jams on all the range roads.people just up and left work for the day.
yeah my mate said that! Prob is, after watching what happened with the 2005 Tsunami, people are going to be scared. I know where I'd run too!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:27 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah my mate said that! Prob is, after watching what happened with the 2005 Tsunami, people are going to be scared. I know where I'd run too!
the problem was that people left there cyclone proof houses and places of work which would afford some protection against a wave to jump into there cars and sit in a jam on the highway where they would have just got washed away.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

the problem was that people left there cyclone proof houses and places of work which would afford some protection against a wave to jump into there cars and sit in a jam on the highway where they would have just got washed away.
good point. I take it you stayed put? Will watch it on the news tonight.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:42 am
youngy73

good point. I take it you stayed put? Will watch it on the news tonight.
just kept on working. its normally the cyclones that send the locals into mass panic. they can be 1000 miles away and everyone runs round like headless chickens.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Ste and I were in the city and we met up and then drove to the kids school, collected them and went home together - when you've got children you want to have them under your wing and to be together.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No-one knew what it would do when it got here, as there was so much ocean to cross. I'm guessing a bit about why the beaches were closed later in the day, but there was still an alert for bigger waves than usual, so I think it was probably a better safe than sorry - as Biggy said, the ocean was very weird.
It could have been very nasty - the Solomons got it badly, and anyone who thinks the authorities overreacted here should remember - if we hadn't issued any warnings, and Qld had been hit badly, you'd all have been baying for our blood. Better safe than sorry.

There really was an air of holding our breath at work - with the cyclones you see them coimng on radar, you can predict the track and strength to some extent. A tsunami is a lot harder to track, and just builds out of nowhere, one minute things are calm, next minute you have an earthquake and a mega-wave.
A lot of evacuation plans were being put into action, but its a tightrope to wlak - how soon do you move people, how soon are you sure the wave is coming........

There were the lighter moments though, like the woman who rang us to say she is on holiday in Noosa over Easter and could we tell her if there would be another tsunami then, cos she might cancel her holiday if another one was coming

And I have to admit a certain smug feeling to see that the public face of Emergency Management Queensland was one of my bosses - a very English gentleman
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Did I miss something???

There was certainly a lot of choice mid-morning in the free parking around the CBD.

The chaos on the range roads must have been something to see.

At least it cleared the Mondayitis up pretty quick.

The interesting thing was how quickly the land >mobile network ground to a halt.

WW
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was largely butt covering I think, but at the same time it was a big quake, and since the Boxing Day one the idea is 'better safe than sorry'.
I can do without that sort of start to a Monday morning though.....can I have my breakfast now!
So can I and it's 6.30 in the evening
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Boxing day 2004 Tsunami is still relatively fresh in peoples minds and lets face it, Tsunamis are a fairly unknown quantity, really. There is no real speed with the warning systems as today has proved, by the time the Tsunami centre in Hawaii had picked it up, it was already doing over the Soloman Islands and ripples heading outward, but it's still humane duty to warn all possibly affected areas and then the panic happens...

Its tough in Cairns because theres really nowhere to go - north or south - all beach, so individuals head for the range (thinking get to higher ground) and the inevitable traffic jams occur - I've never seen as much traffic as we did today coming back home from the city - unreal. I don't blame anyone for worrying though, for low lying areas a hit from a Tsunami could mean you're toast.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Did I miss something???

There was certainly a lot of choice mid-morning in the free parking around the CBD.

The chaos on the range roads must have been something to see.

At least it cleared the Mondayitis up pretty quick.

The interesting thing was how quickly the land >mobile network ground to a halt.

WW
Yeah, see my 'telstra sucks thread".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.