Tsunami

Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Tsunami

Just been reading a article ref the tsunami in Indonesia and it got me thinking as to what are the chances of one hitting there in Aus. After all Perth has the vast Indian ocean and the whole east coast has the pacific most accomodation is at sea level and on or near the coast. Do not wish to alarm anybody but is it a possibility?

Last edited by raven; Aug 13th 2006 at 12:55 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsunami

Originally Posted by raven
Just been reading a article ref the tsunami in Indonesia and it got me thinking as to what are the chances of one hitting there in Aus. After all Perth has the vast Indian ocean and the whole east coast the on or near the coast in more or less sea level dwellings. Do not wish to alarm anybody but is it a possibility?
Really? Is Perth on the Coast then? well I never. Better not go to Australia then guys.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is possible according to the scientists.

I live up an inland hill.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

They say there are sharks in the sea around Australia as well? and of course there are the snakes and crocs and other things that try to poisen or eat you.

Danger f***in place Australia let me tell you.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:02 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading a article ref the tsunami in Indonesia and it got me thinking as to what are the chances of one hitting there in Aus. After all Perth has the vast Indian ocean and the whole east coast has the pacific most accomodation is at sea level and on or near the coast. Do not wish to alarm anybody but is it a possibility?
There was a Tsunami the other week at Coral Bay, where a 4X4 and tents were washed away due to the earth quake that occoured in Indonesia.
Luckily no one was hurt, one woman was just putting her 6 month old baby into the tent when her husband shouted a warning and they ran for it. Another family held on to the roo bar on the 4x4 while along the beach another was washed away.
Just tried to do a news search but couldn't find it. I read it in the West Australian Newspaper.

Neil.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by manxfamily
They say there are sharks in the sea around Australia as well? and of course there are the snakes and crocs and other things that try to poisen or eat you.

Danger f***in place Australia let me tell you.

Yeh someone tried to tell me the other day the sharks were friendly...as they dont eat or mate in WA, they move on to bonk and eat......I nearly choked...dont think I will be throwing them a few fish whist scuba diving any time soon!

Oh and I definitely wont be asking them on a date
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tsunamis generated off Sumatra and Java do hit Perth but the shape of the coast means that the wave is very small - and usually not noticeable - by the time it reaches Perth. Added to this is the fact that most houses are built quite a good height above sea level due to the dunes which reduces the risk of any damage.

The area most at risk of tsunami is around Exmouth where a combination of low lying land, proximity to the fault line and the shape of the coast means that there is a much higher risk of a sizeable tsunami hitting and causing loss of life (if there were more people living there!).

Incidentally there is a good animation of the tsunami spreading around the world available on the net. You can see that it did affect Perth - slightly.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:16 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

what r the chances of walkin oot the front door and gettin hit wi a bus....life is too short to worry about what ifs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by biggy; Aug 13th 2006 at 1:23 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Quite high if you build yer hoose on a bus stop
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
what r the chnaces of walkin oot the front door and gettin hit wi a bus....life is too short to worry about what ifs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Talk about irrational risk perception.....I once slept on a beach in a very earthquake prone area. I lay awake for most of the night worrying about tsunami risk - and that was before the Boxing Day one hit!

I should have been more worried about the bloody snakes.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite high if you build yer hoose on a bus stop
this is very true lol
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Talk about irrational risk perception.....I once slept on a beach in a very earthquake prone area. I lay awake for most of the night worrying about tsunami risk - and that was before the Boxing Day one hit!

I should have been more worried about the bloody snakes.
or even somebody parkin their bike in yer arse crack
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people have just got to worry about something.

Go live in Alice....you'll be right there
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by CasG
Some people have just got to worry about something.

Go live in Alice....you'll be right there
as long as ye dont have fair skin lol then u will end up like a bit ov flaky pastry lmao
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
as long as ye dont have fair skin lol then u will end up like a bit ov flaky pastry lmao

Ah...true.

On to a no-winner here.

Canada is good I hear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.