Reload this Page >

Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Auslife will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well you must admit you did sound rather as if you were complaining about the fact we warn people about a cyclone that in the end didn't reach the coast
I do put storm warnings on here too at times, but I don't get the alerts for WA as a regular thing - I'm not as familiar with the criteria that trigger storm warnings in WA either, only the Qld ones.
Wondered why I got that reaction. I wasn't complaining about you.

I was getting at the weather bureau. I suppose though, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's very good of you to post these on here, as it keeps a lot of people informed.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HelenTD
BOM's info page about the March hailstorm in Perth: http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/sevwx/perth...20100322.shtml
Thanks for that Helen , but this is a report post event, not a warning.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auslife
Wondered why I got that reaction. I wasn't complaining about you.

I was getting at the weather bureau. I suppose though, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's very good of you to post these on here, as it keeps a lot of people informed.
I know in Qld the warnings are sent to the Media - radio/TV etc - and are broadcast frequently, as well as being disseminated in various ways locally. There are early warning systems becoming more widespread over here run by some councils - again I don't know if any councils in WA offer something like this.

There are more problems with warning about storms than there are about cyclones though, purely because of the timescales involved. A cyclone is usually visible a few days out from landfall, and although its track and intensity may not be dead certs, reasonable assumptions can be made - as with the predictions for Bianca. No-one could be sure whether she would maintain her intensity until she came ashore, but its better to be prepared than to be complacent.
Storms however - like the one in Perth - can build up in a matter of minutes with no real warning, and can be very localised. Even when its known that conditions are good for storms to form, its not always possible to preduct exactly where they will happen.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

I know in Qld the warnings are sent to the Media - radio/TV etc - and are broadcast frequently, as well as being disseminated in various ways locally. There are early warning systems becoming more widespread over here run by some councils - again I don't know if any councils in WA offer something like this.

There are more problems with warning about storms than there are about cyclones though, purely because of the timescales involved. A cyclone is usually visible a few days out from landfall, and although its track and intensity may not be dead certs, reasonable assumptions can be made - as with the predictions for Bianca. No-one could be sure whether she would maintain her intensity until she came ashore, but its better to be prepared than to be complacent.
Storms however - like the one in Perth - can build up in a matter of minutes with no real warning, and can be very localised. Even when its known that conditions are good for storms to form, its not always possible to preduct exactly where they will happen.
When you explain it like that it does make sense
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:54 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When you explain it like that it does make sense
Phew! Glad it makes a bit of sense
Might be worth finding out if your local council has any early warning systems on SMS, like some in Qld do now. Also which radio stations broadcast the warnings best over there - here ABC Local are very good.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Phew! Glad it makes a bit of sense
Might be worth finding out if your local council has any early warning systems on SMS, like some in Qld do now. Also which radio stations broadcast the warnings best over there - here ABC Local are very good.
It was on TV on the weather reports, and on the weather bureau site.
It's just a worry when you've been told a cyclone it's coming and then it doesn't.

Got to be thankfull though...especially when you see what QLD and NSW went through
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:38 pm
Home and Happy

It was on TV on the weather reports, and on the weather bureau site.
It's just a worry when you've been told a cyclone it's coming and then it doesn't.

Got to be thankfull though...especially when you see what QLD and NSW went through
I know the people around Bowen and Townsville are grateful for the warnings even if the result isn't as bad as expected. As I said before though, its a thankless task as whatever warnings we give we never please everyone all the time!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 30th 2011 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
You and me both honey!! we have gone from being in the eye of the storm to now just getting the left overs of rain!! well we havent seen a drop yet and it is so bloody humid right now my sweat is sweating!!!
I would like some rain now actually, my car is filthy and I am feeling tired after getting no sleep last night from the powercut, so no electic/air con/fan or anything.

So too tired to wash the car, I would value a nice heap of rain and if I may be so greedy, some thunder to clear the air.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Helen , but this is a report post event, not a warning.
Yes, I know. Did you read the section at the end?

"Warning/Forecast Summary
The 'chance of a thunderstorm' was first mentioned on the Perth forecast on the previous Thursday [18 March] morning.

The first Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued at 9:45am Monday 22 March. This was issued prior to the formation of the storms based on a very high confidence of severe storms occurring. The warning was re-issued to make particular mention of the direct threat to Perth at 2:30 pm and then re-issued at half-hourly intervals into the evening and was finally cancelled at midnight."

If you look at the PDF in the link at the top of the article, it has several radar pictures of the storm, a satellite image and other pictures.

If you listen to the BOM interview on ABC radio, the meteorologist also mentions previous warnings: http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/20...22/2853195.htm

I was certainly aware that thunderstorms were forecast that day and I did get caught in it, but fortunately suffered no damage to person or property.

Last edited by HelenTD; Jan 31st 2011 at 8:10 am.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I would like some rain now actually, my car is filthy and I am feeling tired after getting no sleep last night from the powercut, so no electic/air con/fan or anything.

So too tired to wash the car, I would value a nice heap of rain and if I may be so greedy, some thunder to clear the air.
You were unlucky, PP. We haven't had any power cuts, so could have the fan running last night. Actually had to put the windscreen wipers on today, so the car has had a bit of a rinse. Still too hot and humid, though.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

You were unlucky, PP. We haven't had any power cuts, so could have the fan running last night. Actually had to put the windscreen wipers on today, so the car has had a bit of a rinse. Still too hot and humid, though.
I slept in the living room on a sheet, it was so hot that I literally felt sick, Mr PP was in the bedroom which was hotter than the living room but he didnt mind so much. The doors were open - both of them and fly screens shut and it was awful, I kept waking up from a very bad/short sleep panicking as there was no lights anywhere and my hair soaking as it was hot.

At 2am I heard the answer machine come on and then I felt the breeze from the fan come back on and I was so bloody relieved it wasnt true.

Anyway, managed to get the car washed this evening, it was filthy and my windscreen was caked in sand so I had to clean it for work tomorrow. But I do still think we need a big storm to clear the air.

And its predicted hot and sunny for the rest of the week, hot and sunny I can do but the humidity levels are awful at the moment.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Next time, PP, perhaps try what I call 'the wet towel trick'. Take a bath towel, wet it, squeeze out any excess, then drape it over your naked form. You can also use a hand towel to drape around your neck. It works best if you have a fan working as well, Synergy permitting, but still feels good without a fan.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:25 pm

Next time, PP, perhaps try what I call 'the wet towel trick'. Take a bath towel, wet it, squeeze out any excess, then drape it over your naked form. You can also use a hand towel to drape around your neck. It works best if you have a fan working as well, Synergy permitting, but still feels good without a fan.
I will remember that one.

I slept like a log last night, woke up this morning - first day back at work after a week off, alarm went off at 6.30am and my god I could have gone back to sleep.