voyager 1

Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default voyager 1

1st man made object to leave our solar system, wow.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: voyager 1

Originally Posted by stevenglish1

But it will be back, in Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

S
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
But it will be back, in Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

S
hee hee, forgot about that, pretty amazing I reckon
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it had left a while ago....
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Check this out, I thought this was the one with the picture of the waving man and woman on but apparently that was an earlier one. Voyager 1 has some records and a record player with instructions...

"It contains the spoken greetings, beginning with Akkadian, which was spoken in Sumer about six thousand years ago, and ending with Wu, a modern Chinese dialect."

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I thought it had left a while ago....

It did, but they have only just confirmed it. They needed some of the readings from V'Ger itself to corroborate where the boundaries of the solar system are.

S
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:13 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Actually, that's probably not true.

It's maybe passed through the heliopause and is feeling interstellar space, but that's akin to saying that the earth system is defined by the magnetopause*, at 38 - 96 thousand km. Problem is the moon is at 385 thousand km - so that definition would put the moon outside the earth system.

The sun has similar - the Oort cloud, out at a light year, which is a better definition of an 'edge' - and Voyager 1 is only 2 thousandths of the way there.

(* the first person to make an XMan joke gets a roll of the eyes and a dose of sarcasm)
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The sun has similar - the Oort cloud, out at a light year, which is a better definition of an 'edge' - and Voyager 1 is only 2 thousandths of the way there.
Whoa! space is big.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Whoa! space is big.
Really big.

You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemists, but that's just peanuts to space.

Listen ...
Old Sep 13th 2013, 9:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Really big.

I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemists, but that's just peanuts to space.

Listen ...
Space is indeed a huge and sometimes unfathomable phenomena.

My missus was precisely directing me 1cm to the left, no 2 cm to the right..... and so on. To me the bookcase looked good where it was.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Space is indeed a huge and sometimes unfathomable phenomena.

My missus was precisely directing me 1cm to the left, no 2 cm to the right..... and so on. To me the bookcase looked good where it was.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Really big.

Listen ...
Which is why I feel much MUCH safer contemplating my naval.... When I start thinking about dimensions in space no one gets fed and clean clothes doesn't happen.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by eddie007
Which is why I feel much MUCH safer contemplating my naval....
You feel safe contemplating your navel rather than the wonders of the universe and the insignificance of your place in it, do you?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...531_story.html

Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:20 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, that's probably not true.

It's maybe passed through the heliopause and is feeling interstellar space, but that's akin to saying that the earth system is defined by the magnetopause*, at 38 - 96 thousand km. Problem is the moon is at 385 thousand km - so that definition would put the moon outside the earth system.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i...h281/photo.jpg

(* the first person to make an XMan joke gets a roll of the eyes and a dose of sarcasm)
where does alpha centauri's heliosphere begin?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by commonwealth
where does alpha centauri's heliosphere begin?
Probably a more interesting question for alpha centauri, given its actually part of a triple star system with orbits for the main pair at roughly the distance of Pluto.

In general their heliopause distances are probably comparable to the sun's, or maybe slightly more (alpha centauri is bigger than the sun). That leaves a lot of space inbetween. If you assume that it has an oort cloud similar to the sun, then you'd have:

<---1 light year---> <--------2 light years --------> <---1 light year --->
Sun ...................... Oort Cloud ................................. Oort Cloud ..............Alpha Centauri

Or maybe the 2 light year space between the edges of the cloud are filled with such debris where the gravitational binding gradually switches between star systems. Nobody knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.