British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   That speech? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/speech-700619/)

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 9:38 am

That speech?

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who we are,"

"We are Queenslanders."

"We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

“We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

opinions people?

scottishcelts Jan 14th 2011 9:41 am

Re: That speech?

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 9100819)
"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who we are,"

"We are Queenslanders."

opinions people?

Chumbawamba fan? :D

Officer Dibble Jan 14th 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 9100819)

"We are Queenslanders."

opinions people?

It was the "standing shoulder to shoulder" that got me, and the "the dark days". I'm surprised there wasn't a "moving forward" thrown in for good measure.

Not meaning to mock situation but the customary rolling out of the cliches does test the old gag reflex.

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 9100823)
Chumbawamba fan? :D

:lol:

come on what did yae think pal, now be honest

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 9100835)
It was the "standing shoulder to shoulder" that got me, and the "the dark days". I'm surprised there wasn't a "moving forward" thrown in for good measure.

Not meaning to mock situation but the customary rolling out of the cliches does test the old gag reflex.

it can do. but if you make people believe in something it can help

scottishcelts Jan 14th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 9100836)
:lol:

come on what did yae think pal, now be honest

Ok if I'm honest, what I usually do in these situations is roll my eyes and mutter something like "oh here we go, the embarrassing bullshit twee". :unsure::o

Bix Jan 14th 2011 9:52 am

It was not so much the words she uttered but how she delivered them and I found it very sincere and uplifting.

A politician showing emotion? Can it be true?

I have run her down no end as QLD premier but credit where it's due. She is performing magnificently in this turmoil and under what must be tremendous pressure.

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 9:53 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 9100841)
Ok if I'm honest, what I usually do in these situations is roll my eyes and mutter something like "oh here we go, the embarrassing bullshit twee". :unsure::o

me too. i would doubt if she wrote it. but i thought it was a fantastic uplifting speech

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9100844)
It was not so much the words she uttered but how she delivered them and I found it very sincere and uplifting.

I have run her down no end as QLD premier but credit where it's due. She is performing magnificently in this turmoil and under what must be tremendous pressure.

i have to agree with every word you said there bix. she bugs the shit oota me, but i think she has been stunning and came accross very honest most of the time

Officer Dibble Jan 14th 2011 9:55 am

Oh the power of the media image. Who cares if she cries. I doubt she lost anything in the kerfuffle and she wont be the one shovelling up the mess.

Bix Jan 14th 2011 9:55 am

Don't avoid the question SC.:D

That may be what you usually do but is that actually what you thought this time?

Officer Dibble Jan 14th 2011 9:56 am

You were supposed to be moved to tears. :frown:

:rofl:

moneypenny20 Jan 14th 2011 9:59 am

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 9100851)
Oh the power of the media image. Who cares if she cries. I doubt she lost anything in the kerfuffle and she wont be the one shovelling up the mess.

Had the flood gone to the levels they were anticipating, her home would have been underwater and her mother's was. Give her her due, she's been out and about and it would appear working bloody long hours. Both her and Newman have been excellent 'heads' to my mind.

As for that Julia Gillard, as I said to someone on FB, if I found her doing her Funeral Director bit 'shoulder to shoulder' with me, I'd lump her with a saucepan.

soapy© Jan 14th 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 9100851)

to be honest i think shes working hard enough. i wouldnt want the pressure she has right now.

everyone was raving about rudd the fud lifting a bit of furniture for the cameras. its a bit like kissing kids for the telly.

i like the fact that she hasnt been all dolled up like ginger nut has every time she appears

scottishcelts Jan 14th 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9100852)
Don't avoid the question SC.:D

That may be what you usually do but is that actually what you thought this time?

:rolleyes: ok you got me!

Yes I do actually agree with what you just said in the post above. She appears to be very sincere, natural and genuine. Long may it continue.