Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

South Australia Bushfires

South Australia Bushfires

Old Jan 11th 2005, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Australia Bushfires

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just spoken to my son in Adelaide.

His girlfriend's family have had their farmhouse destroyed :scared:

Fortunately they are OK

G
Sory to hear that richs aunt lost her home to bushfire in Canberra a few years back now.

I see victoria has lost 8500 hectacres to fire as well.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 11th 2005 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:03 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

"At a roadblock, he was urged by police and fire crews to turn back but he ignored their pleas, arriving as the flames took hold of the farmhouse. Mr Newchurch discovered his girlfriend huddled in the bathtub and gathered her in his arms. "If he didn't ignore the police, there is no way Felicity would still be alive. He's a hero," Ms Ah Kit said."

Through flames for you
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately they are OK

G
Sorry to hear that Grayling; thank goodness they themselves are OK.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:27 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hevs
Hope everyones friends and families are ok.

We have had an evil hot day, 38 degs plus a wind that would have cooked tea if i'd have put it on the deck. Searing. The whole house is rattling and creaking with the gale, but its so strange as the A/C is on full
Yes, fingers crossed for all with friends/rellies in the affected regions.... hope they are safe.

As for the hot winds - they are SO weird! For those of you yet to experience them, they are like the hugest of very hot, over-efficient fan heaters blowing boiling hot air at you everytime you go outside.

Fortunately, it's not very humid in our bit of Melbourne, so once you get used to the hot winds, days like that are actually quite bearable, more so than those temps would be in Blighty.

Sadly, it is probably the lack of humidity that makes the winds so dangerous as fire risks, though...

Anya.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:29 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Fortunately they are OK

G
Oh NO, Grayling. Am so sorry to hear that. But I guess, at least they are safe.

How terrible for them, though.....

Anya.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:43 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Deathtoll is 10 now I heard this morning.

Heard that the fire is/was going as fast as a car can travel, unbelievable huh?!! Though I've heard it plenty of times before, so I know it's true, but it takes a while to be able to comprehend!
Saw the fire going through a paddock on the news yesterday, scary stuff.
Biggest fire in 20 years or something?

Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:36 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone
Heard that the fire is/was going as fast as a car can travel, unbelievable huh?!!
70km/h I believe. A car could outrun it, but the chances of the road pointing in the same direction as the fire is slim.

I was sent up to the Adelaide Hills fire last night to do a shift. I've never seen so many fire trucks and flashing lights. Earlier in the day the crews were frantically calling for water to be trucked in after they sucked the mains pipes dry.

Bloody firebugs!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:08 pm
Banned

"The stupid thing is the house is fine," Mr Kay's brother, Jarrod, said. "From what we can gather, she (Jodie) just panicked because the whole house was surrounded by fire. Once they were on the road they got disorientated and crashed into a tree."

"Also at Wanilla, northwest of Port Lincoln, the bodies of two men, Neil Richardson and Trent Murnane, were found on an isolated dirt road."

"The remains of one of the men were in the back of a truck next to a water pump, while the other was found 100m down the road after fleeing the burning car."

A mother's life-and-death dilemma

Worst thing in a fire: panic. The very time to muster all your wits.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to confirm locations of these fires. Are there different areas affected as I understood that Adelaide Hills area is some distance from Port Lincoln. Is there anywhere south of the city affected? Happy Valley area? Just concerned that family might be affected.

Sandy
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:27 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
Just wanted to confirm locations of these fires. Are there different areas affected as I understood that Adelaide Hills area is some distance from Port Lincoln. Is there anywhere south of the city affected? Happy Valley area? Just concerned that family might be affected.
Sandy
The really bad fires were on the Eyre Peninsular a long way from Adelaide, the other fires were at Mt Osmand and Mt Bold which are near Adelaide. The Mt Osmand fire was in the steep valley which the highway into Adelaide follows, close to the Heisen Tunnels. No serious casualties and no significant loss of property, just a lot of lost scrub and trees and the odd vehicle.

http://www.cfs.org.au/media/releases.asp
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:36 pm
Banned

Bush Network cranking in: burned stock shot and buried, free agistment for the standing stock, hay on the way at no charge. Furniture donations being collected ...

Same story as the 2003 January 18 ACT fires: Hot, dry conditions - not a problem. Fire contained. Strong winds predicted, failure to predict dramatically enhanced fire danger and respond rapidly - disaster.

Aircraft delay may have cost lives

Need for enhanced National CFA training and capability?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:06 pm
wombat42

If your house is surrounded by a bushfire , don't climb into your rainwater tank thinking you are escaping from the fire, because what happens is the fire outside the tank causes the water to boil. During the Ash wednesday fires a number of people in rainwater tanks were killed when the water boiled.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 13th 2005 at 10:13 pm.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stay in the house until the fire passes. If possible fight any spot fires when the fire is gone. The bush fire has normally passed by the time the house is up in flames.

Much easier said than done.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:40 pm
wombat42

If you see a bushfire heading towards your house always remember the most important thing to do first is to ring your insurance company and upgrade the insurance on your house to the highest level so you get paid out more then what your house is worth.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 13th 2005 at 10:43 pm.

Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i think the most sickening thing in all this is the group of pond life scum that are going around looting the remnants of these poor peoples homes!!!... words fail me..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.