Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
so what gives you the right to say that they are idiots then ?

as you are not an expert who knows nothing about bush fires then maybe you should say nothing on the subject -

as you have said your self you are not an expert
i have simply expressed an opinion referring to the thread title.

i dont have to need an expert on bush fires to do that.

by the same token do you have to be an expert to say they are NOT idiots?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

[QUOTE=Three Legs;7280825]Can you fire me off a cheque QUOTE]

bit insensitive choise of words, innit?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Hmmmm - but this quote suggests that your figures are not the full story:

"Many charities were given considerable donations [for the Boxing Day Tsunami] from the public. For example, in the UK the public donated roughly £330,000,000 sterling (nearly US$600,000,000). This considerably outweighed the donation by the government and came to an average of about £5.50 (US$10) donated by every citizen."
That UK £330,000,000 figure was quoted in March 2005.
The figures that I had were as at 5th Jan 2005, just 10 days after the event. More money would have come in, from all counties after that date.

I found a later figure of $240million from Australians on Feb 5th 2005 (or $12 per person)

I found the March date from a website that quoted the £330,000,000 figure, which also mentioned the Governement contributions:
Nations all over the world provided over US$7 billion in aid for damaged regions, with the governments of Australia pledging US$819.9 million, Germany offering US$660 million, Japan offering US$500 million, Canada offering US$343 million, Norway and The Netherlands offering both US$183 million, the United States offering US$35 million initially (increased to US$350 million), and the World Bank offering US$250 million

UK government: £75m according to the BBC on Feb 25 2005

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:51 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I would hazard a guess that many of the poorer people up there were renting. If thats the case, build the homes, rent them out but with complusory insurance added onto the rent. If they qualify for centrelink then take it out of that. Controversial maybe, but for those who say they must be insured its one option
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
but to say the Government should rebuild their houses sends the wrong message for the future.
I think that the donations could be used for such help, but I don't think that Governments should use tax payers money to replace houses that people chose not to insure.

We don't know the financial situation of any of those people, they may have been able to afford it, and chose not to. If they could have afforded it, then why should we pay premiums to cover ourselves, PLUS more to cover them.

We also don't know the values of these properties, some of them looked a bit expensive, and if they could afford the house, then another few hundred a year for insurance shouldn't hurt.

Too many variable to answer this fully..

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I would hazard a guess that many of the poorer people up there were renting. If thats the case, build the homes, rent them out but with complusory insurance added onto the rent. If they qualify for centrelink then take it out of that. Controversial maybe, but for those who say they must be insured its one option
If they are renting, then they haven't actually lost a home, "from the financial aspect". Most landlords would have insurance, and be able to rebuild.

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:59 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If they are renting, then they haven't actually lost a home, "from the financial aspect". Most landlords would have insurance, and be able to rebuild.
No, but i am talking about everything else they have lost.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Interest free loan is a good idea for those who work. But what about those who cant?

But if they don't work how did they pay their mortgage/rent in the first place?

If they were already living on benefits then surely it would have to be the States responsiblity to rehouse them wouldn't it. I suppose there would have to be exceptions, pensioners etc.

John
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:06 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by jond
But if they don't work how did they pay their mortgage/rent in the first place?

If they were already living on benefits then surely it would have to be the States responsiblity to rehouse them wouldn't it. I suppose there would have to be exceptions, pensioners etc.

John
I honestly dont know. Never had anything to do with benefits here. I do remember seeing on TV that governement housing is practically impossible to get nowadays with people on waiting lists for years.
Yes, i am referring to pensioners, disabled people etc.

Dont get me wrong, if someone is living down there in a big flash house but cant be bothered to get insurance then they really should be made to pay up for any aid they receive, but i still dont believe they should be left to rot in the bush!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a unique climate, I've just given this idea some deeper thought. Maybe the Government could legislate that if there is a major bushfire, how they would define that I dont know. Then houses could be replaced gratis for all affected people. Irrespective of whether people are insured or not. Almost a national insurance type of situation if you like, which only applies to Bushfires.

This would take the inequality out of the equation. This way premiums could be lower for people in the bush for normal house fires.

It's just an idea.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:10 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That UK £330,000,000 figure was quoted in March 2005.
The figures that I had were as at 5th Jan 2005, just 10 days after the event. More money would have come in, from all counties after that date.

I found a later figure of $240million from Australians on Feb 5th 2005 (or $12 per person)

I found the March date from a website that quoted the £330,000,000 figure, which also mentioned the Governement contributions:
Crikey ABCD I've never known anybody with such a love of random statistics - especially of the pro-australian kind, which is fair enough but getting a little predictable.

Anyway, the 'which country is more/less generous' debate - bit of a pointless one though given the bigger picture. I don't think houses should be built for free as in the long run it will be counter-productive for fire insurance and promoting eqaulity. That money could be better spent on investing in community initiatives that affect everybody like schools, clinics, the fire service etc, but there will be a lot of people needing some help, so maybe the cheap loan or similar is a good idea.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Crikey ABCD I've never known anybody with such a love of random statistics - especially of the pro-australian kind, which is fair enough but getting a little predictable.

Anyway, the 'which country is more/less generous' debate - bit of a pointless one though given the bigger picture. I don't think houses should be built for free as in the long run it will be counter-productive for fire insurance and promoting eqaulity. That money could be better spent on investing in community initiatives that affect everybody like schools, clinics, the fire service etc, but there will be a lot of people needing some help, so maybe the cheap loan or similar is a good idea.
Feel free to supply pro UK stats, and that applies to anyone.

Most people really enjoy ABCD's stats, they are one of my highlites on this board.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a unique climate, I've just given this idea some deeper thought. Maybe the Government could legislate that if there is a major bushfire, how they would define that I dont know. Then houses could be replaced gratis for all affected people. Irrespective of whether people are insured or not. Almost a national insurance type of situation if you like, which only applies to Bushfires.

This would take the inequality out of the equation. This way premiums could be lower for people in the bush for normal house fires.

It's just an idea.

What about a basic level of compulsory insurance, don't know how they would enforce it though
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:14 am
ABCDiamond

It's just an idea.
Hang on, I don't like paying my insurance either, how about the government just covers all of us ?

I also have friends who pay higher car insurance for some reason that doesn't really apply them, could they set up a scheme for them too...

Pandora's box is opening....

Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Well, I have already admitted possible fault in our observations in a reply I posted a few moments ago and it might be down to locality and circumstance but I can't possibly comment on what it might be like down in Victoria?
Sorry, when I made that post I failed to predict the admission you made later

Just wondering. Do you know that they're called Op Shops in Aus rather than Charity Shops?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 13th 2009 at 7:34 am. Reason: Added bit about Op Shops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.