Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They also dug deep to help Indonesia the other year:

Each time there is an emergency, they do tend to open their wallets.
Cyclone Larry also caused donations of $21.8 million to be made.
Hmmmm - but this quote suggests that your figures are not the full story:

"Many charities were given considerable donations [for the Boxing Day Tsunami] from the public. For example, in the UK the public donated roughly £330,000,000 sterling (nearly US$600,000,000). This considerably outweighed the donation by the government and came to an average of about £5.50 (US$10) donated by every citizen."
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:21 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I guess I live in a different Australia
Well, I have already admitted possible fault in our observations in a reply I posted a few moments ago and it might be down to locality and circumstance but I can't possibly comment on what it might be like down in Victoria?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You are revolting .. Pull your head in
cos you dont like my answers?

am simply expressing an opinion NOT drowned in the public grief and wailing of self pitying BS that has been going on.

some hard questions WILL have to asked at some stage.

The thread title is one of those. WHERE is this $81million going to go?

why should anyones charity go towards people too stupid not to have insured their home?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
ho hum

If i had a FAMILY of toddlers i would be outta there EVEN QUICKER!!!!
shut up i think there is something wrong with you - are you special?

your comments are insulting people died because they couldn't or didn't get out in time - some of them died because there was no warning the fire came to quick
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nope and nope.

I've seen an Oxfam (ironically) at Chermside (I think?).
Looking at Recycled Clothing Opportunity Shop's only:

Chermside has 2
Oxfam, Westfield, Chermside
Lifeline, Gympie Rd, Chermside

The suburbs near me:
Capalaba, has 6
Cleveland, has 4
Victoria Point has 1
But loads of collection points...

Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
shut up i think there is something wrong with you - are you special?

your comments are insulting people died because they couldn't or didn't get out in time - some of them died because there was no warning the fire came to quick
no need for personal insults just cos you dont agree with me, dear...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:28 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Looking at Recycled Clothing Opportunity Shop's only:

Chermside has 2
Oxfam, Westfield, Chermside
Lifeline, Gympie Rd, Chermside

The suburbs near me:
Capalaba, has 6
Cleveland, has 4
Victoria Point has 1
But loads of collection points...
Well, that's something I genuinely didn't know. I've been educated and I'm slightly less naive than I used to be about this subject.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:31 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

If the insurance does not cover (ie they were uninsured) my feeling is yes.

It may be alright to have the argument that its their fault for not insuring, but:
  • It would still be in my nature to go and help them build with no thought of reimbursement
  • Where else would they go?
  • What about innocent children - do they pay for parents folly?
  • Costs for burn victims and counselling trauma victims needs also to be accounted for.
  • New builds would need stringent building codes and compulsory insurance as conditions.

That is my feeling and I respect others will differ just the way of the world.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

no need for personal insults just cos you dont agree with me, dear...
dont call me dear i am not your dear
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If the insurance does not cover (ie they were uninsured) my feeling is yes.

It may be alright to have the argument that its their fault for not insuring, but:
  • It would still be in my nature to go and help them build with no thought of reimbursement
  • Where else would they go?
  • What about innocent children - do they pay for parents folly?
  • Costs for burn victims and counselling trauma victims needs also to be accounted for.
  • New builds would need stringent building codes and compulsory insurance as conditions.

That is my feeling and I respect others will differ just the way of the world.

very good point
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I was speaking to someone who lived in a town affected by the Ash Wednesday fires. A lot of people had no insurance and their houses were rebuilt for them for free, to a much higher standard than those that the Insurance paid for.

He reckons that 25 years on there is still huge bitterness about this in the town.

IMHO I would have to say no to a free rebuild, I work as an Insurance Assessor so I might be biased I suppose. What about using the money to give those uninsured people an interest free loan that would cover the costs involved.

John
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
dont call me dear i am not your dear
LOL - and i am not special. dont call me special.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:33 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

cos you dont like my answers?

am simply expressing an opinion NOT drowned in the public grief and wailing of self pitying BS that has been going on.

some hard questions WILL have to asked at some stage.

The thread title is one of those. WHERE is this $81million going to go?

why should anyones charity go towards people too stupid not to have insured their home?
Yes, you are giving your opinion.... by the same token i'm giving my opinion of you.

Some people are too poor to afford insurance. It doesnt make them stupid or idiots, especially women left to fend on their own with kids

You on the other hand....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So the Pommy in South Yarra is an expert on the bush & bushfires now?

You ought to volunteer for the CFA mate and give them the benefit of your extensive experience.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

LOL - and i am not special. dont call me special.
You're not going to tell us 'Life is like a box of chocolates' next are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.