Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

No they shouldn't.

Live in a bushfire area without insurance at your own risk.

same for all these idiots who didnt have a 'bush fire plan' or dont engage with the CFA each Spring...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Without wanting to fan the flames further ... no pun intended.

On the subject of Australians and giving ...

Am I right in thinking they are one of the tightest, should I say, less generous populations in terms of charitable donations throughout the world??? I'm sure I read this somewhere???

They are digging very deep in this case as the emergency is close to home ...

Do others feel this emphasises their very insular nature?
I did have this exact same thought yesterday but I kept it to myself.....

The problem is that, generally speaking, British people are probably one of the most generous and charitable nations (I'm talking about the general populous) when it comes to providing aid and charity for the victims of national and international disasters and other charitable causes. With this in mind, when we compare the apparent reluctance of your average Australian to give generously to anything other than a home-made disaster with our own willingness to give the disparity probably seems like a gulf as we are so used to responding to any eventuality.

When we first arrived in Australia my wife commented on the distinct lack of charity shops and other such places to provide aid of some sort to the needy.

On a personal level, I once worked with a guy (here in Brisbane) who waxed lyrical about his aspirations to become Prime Minister and how he would help the oppressed, needy, persecuted etc. Then, that Xmas, we all had an opportunity (as employees) to take our company funded Xmas bonus as a book-token or as a donation to families in Vanuatu trying to build proper homes for themselves. He took the book token...*sigh*......
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:41 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
No they shouldn't.

same for all these idiots who didnt have a 'bush fire plan' or dont engage with the CFA each Spring...
Does that include the 'dead' idiots? Very compassionate....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

No they shouldn't.

so are you saying the people who died are idiots then - as they did not get out in time ?????????

stupid comment
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
so are you saying the people who died are idiots then - as they did not get out in time ?????????

stupid comment

well, it is hard to tell isnt it. The warnings were there. The hot weather was forecast. The fires were already burning.They didn't get out in time.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:53 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

well, it is hard to tell isnt it. The warnings were there. The hot weather was forecast. The fires were already burning.They didn't get out in time.
don't know about you but most folk I know can't manage 100kph. In a lot of cases by the time they had warning it was too late. Idiots eh?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kporte
don't know about you but most folk I know can't manage 100kph. In a lot of cases by the time they had warning it was too late. Idiots eh?
what about the day before, hey?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:00 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

what about the day before, hey?
A plane engine might fall on my house sometime in 2010 so my family and I have taken Dan's implied advice and decided to move out until 2011...

See my point?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:03 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

1800 homes have been lost, 7,000 people misplaced, this was no ordinary fire many did not have time to get out.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
A plane engine might fall on my house sometime in 2010 so my family and I have taken Dan's implied advice and decided to move out until 2011...

See my point?
Not really no. but if there are record temperatures forecast and a fire burning up wind of me i might toy with the idea that i might be at risk and get the hell out of the way of it.

it might be a false alarm, but that could be construed as a cost of living in the bush....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I right in thinking they are one of the tightest, should I say, less generous populations in terms of charitable donations throughout the world??? I'm sure I read this somewhere???

After the boxing day Tsunami, Australia (and Australians) were up there as some of the biggest donors. What you probably picked up was some jingoistic rant.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

When we first arrived in Australia my wife commented on the distinct lack of charity shops and other such places to provide aid of some sort to the needy.

You've got to be blind or kidding
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:07 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
No I dont reckon so, in fact after watching the Bush Fire Appeal marathon thing last night on TV we said where the hell is all this money going? most should have home insurance so that will pay for the property and contents, where is this $62 million going? and how will it be divvied up?
$81 million now!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

so they are idiots then ?

maybe you might like to tell their families this

or maybe you should keep your comments to yourself
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

On the subject of Australians and giving ...

They also dug deep to help Indonesia the other year:
Indonesia tsunami disaster relief.
The total of more than $100 million from private donations equates to $5 for each Australian, ranking Australia among the most generous countries in the world.
By comparison, donations to aid agencies in Great Britain have totalled $186.55 million, or just over $3 for each of the 60.3 million Britons, while Americans have donated $257.3 million, or 88 cents each.
Each time there is an emergency, they do tend to open their wallets.
Cyclone Larry also caused donations of $21.8 million to be made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.