Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by fraser
Wow!
Was nice wasn't it. Except when I saw the 2nd photo with the trees encroaching

Now what if due to an administrative glich the house was uninsured technically over the weekend of the fires? ie cheque lost in the mail
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Do people feel as much bitterness when someone on benefits wins the lottery?
I would think a lot do, why I don't know
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I say good luck to them. Prefering to stay focused on my own life than reverse snobbery by judging others on what freebies and gains they have obtained.

Of course there will be somepeople who gain substantially more than they lost in the first place. However I remain critical of those taking the time to be so calculating. How quickly forget lines such as money is not everything and money does not bring happiness.

My thoughts anyway
I would if they hadn't bought a ticket for said lottery
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:00 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, that's not quite the same.

When people (including the benefits claimant) enter a lottery, it's understood that a chunk of the kitty will be taken out, and the rest will go to the winners, who are randomly chosen. You might whinge about whether the winner is "deserving" or not, but ultimately everyone knows it's going to be forked over to someone with no strings attached.

On the other hand, when one pays taxes or makes charitable donations, you have the expectation (or at least hope...) that it's going to be used appropriately and where it's going to have the best impact. There are plenty of arguments for/against reconstruction with public money, but I don't think you can quite think it's all sour grapes.

Also, you seem to be talking about the money as if it were coming magically from the sky and couldn't be used for anything else...but neither of those things is true.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
To be fair, that's not quite the same.

When people (including the benefits claimant) enter a lottery, it's understood that a chunk of the kitty will be taken out, and the rest will go to the winners, who are randomly chosen. You might whinge about whether the winner is "deserving" or not, but ultimately everyone knows it's going to be forked over to someone with no strings attached.

On the other hand, when one pays taxes or makes charitable donations, you have the expectation (or at least hope...) that it's going to be used appropriately and where it's going to have the best impact. There are plenty of arguments for/against reconstruction with public money, but I don't think you can quite think it's all sour grapes.

Also, you seem to be talking about the money as if it were coming magically from the sky and couldn't be used for anything else...but neither of those things is true.
Exactly my point in the first place - Calculating before raw emotion
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1234651325

Wonder if this guy was insured? Just too provoke the debate
I had a look at this one too after the fire. Nobody should be aloud to built in such a location.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people complain about threads? Who is forcing them to read said threads?

It's an open discussion forum of course people don't agree that's the nature of debate.

Don't like a thread don't open it ffs.
The complaints have not been about the topic under discussion, but about some of the abuse and personal insults thrown in earlier posts. They are not a necessary part of the debate and aren't welcome.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:44 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The complaints have not been about the topic under discussion, but about some of the abuse and personal insults thrown in earlier posts. They are not a necessary part of the debate and aren't welcome.
My earlier comment stands they were hardly near the mark were they, now I can understand a mod commenting on them but not some one complaining about them.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

all good friday arvo fun, wasn't it?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My earlier comment stands they were hardly near the mark were they, now I can understand a mod commenting on them but not some one complaining about them.
Well other posters did complain; I don't intend to name them but the thread was reported more than once. Now lets drop the subject as the insults seem to have stopped.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well other posters did complain; I don't intend to name them but the thread was reported more than once. Now lets drop the subject as the insults seem to have stopped.
I never doubted that they did complain, I just find it strange, that is all.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned from spending a day at Diamond creek and Whittlesea relief centres.

The generosity of some people brought a lump to my throat, one bloke donated a car, a woman the use to her caravan. Someone drove from Tocumwal to donate bedding. We were supposed to be selective about what we took in, but we reckoned if people wanted to donate it we would take it.

The thing that stunned me was the look on the faces of people affected by the fires, they were still in shock with that blank Thousand yard stare. I really hadn't thought until today that these people had lost every item they owned, from a toothbrush to their house. Most of them seemed to be quite embarrassed to be there asking for help.

John
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:40 pm
Home and Happy

I was reading a piece about how they allowed the Marysville survivors to be driven through the town but wouldn't allow them to revisit their homes. That must be awful, as they aren't even given the chance to see if anything has survived the fire, and can't get any closure. I know its for forensic reasons, and I can't imagine the horrors they have gone through anyway, but to have nothing at all, and not even be able to go back to the ruins of their homes if they wish is just making it worse.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:56 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

havent read all the thread (cos of the insults flying around) so apologies if someone else has posted this already.
but in june 07 we were hit by devastating floods - thankfully didnt suffer the high death toll that aus has, but a similar arguement cropped up back then about whether it was right for those who were uninsured to gain from charity. I dont think the issue was ever resolved, but they assessed every individual claimant - if you were hit by the floods, you had to submit a claim for help from the charity; many people didnt bother claiming as they were covered by thier insurance so didnt need to - but many people struggled even though they were insured, as the floods were seen as an act of god - and most insurance policies dont cover acts of god.
A freind of mine only moved back into their house in nov last year - 17 months after the floods - cos it took the insurance company so long to sort out their claim.

hope everyone on the forum in the area stayed safe