Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I am watching Channel 10 news (don't blame me, our remote is buggered) and I can't believe Yasi isn't top story ... It has a very complacent feel about the whole thing.

I hope it fizzles out but ...
Probably because it's not local but national TV.

When we arrived in Orlando Florida a few years ago just before Tropical Storm Fay made landfall, we were amazed at the dedicated TV stations that just have hurricane news 24/7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Fay_(2008)

Fay never intesified to a hurricane thankfully but the place was flooded right up to the Interstate highways shoulders.

The Weather Channel here is very serious about it, but not the news channels. It's like business as usual.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 31st 2011 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Wow that is SCARY!!!

So glad I live in NSW. I don't think I could handle the stress up there to be honest.

Please take care and stay safe everybody. Don't be a hero, just get out if told to do so!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:08 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow that is SCARY!!!

So glad I live in NSW. I don't think I could handle the stress up there to be honest.

Please take care and stay safe everybody. Don't be a hero, just get out if told to do so!!!!
Looks like it's going straight over my house.

Could everyone down south go out to the coast and start blowing? A bit of effort might knock it off course.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe, Burby and Whisky and Soda, and the dog whose name I can't recall.

edit: over the house would be better than through it
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, that might be it, they think its something out of a sci fi film and won't happen in reality. Its like leading a horse to water really, you can tell them but you can't make them listen. I've even had to take stuff off my facebook page tonight because of people ridiculing the info I've posted. Yet I can see the papers on Thursday now "Why weren't we warned......."

you keep up the good work, we really appreciate it.....we are at the edge of the warning zone, but can tell by the size of Yasi that the effects will be felt much further afield, be it winds, mega rain or both. We are ready here, yard all cleared, cupboards stocked etc etc. I cant imagine people directly in its path...not giving a shit!!!! Well Done Poll
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe everyone up there

Its a scary feeling of watching it and wondering if its going to hit
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Cooktown to Bowen is 800 kms!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Cooktown to Bowen is 800 kms!
Exactly! This is HUGE.
Tracy (Darwin 1974) and Larry (Innisfail 2006) were both very intense cyclones but they were more compact and very fast-moving, so although the winds were strong the actual system passed over very fast and that limited the effects. Yasi is a lot larger in area and hence will affect a much bigger land area, with a lot of rain to the south in particular.

Originally Posted by Doco
Keep up the good work, I don't post much but have been reading all your posts about this cyclone to the letter. We've only been up here since the begining of December so have been fortunate enough not to have experienced a cyclone yet. This one has got me really worried, can only hope it fizzles out abit before it gets here.
Just my luck, first cyclone, and its freeekin huge, nothing but the best for me eh!

Laura
Originally Posted by BigH68
you keep up the good work, we really appreciate it.....we are at the edge of the warning zone, but can tell by the size of Yasi that the effects will be felt much further afield, be it winds, mega rain or both. We are ready here, yard all cleared, cupboards stocked etc etc. I cant imagine people directly in its path...not giving a shit!!!! Well Done Poll
I can't imagine being up there in the middle of it. I remember all the planning for Larry and this is much the same except the track is more uncertain - Larry seemed to just head straight for Innisfail and never waivered. Also because this one is so much larger there is more planning needed for evacuations, the storm surge is a much bigger issue this time, and there will be a much larger clear-up needed afterwards.

I think I've said it before, but a lot of the damage caused to properties during a cyclone is from loose items like garden furniture, toys etc, so please try and get anything you can indoors.

Photos are from Larry - a piece of wood blown straight through a tree, and a chair thrown at a wall by a gust of wind.
Attached Thumbnails Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi-cyclone-larry-4.jpg   Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi-1775695940_e8e3f4667a.jpg  

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 31st 2011 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow that is SCARY!!!

Yeah, all we have to worry about today is the Severe Fire Danger

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/fire.shtml

Come to Australia... the weather's great.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:18 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because it's not local but national TV.

When we arrived in Orlando Florida a few years ago just before Tropical Storm Fay made landfall, we were amazed at the dedicated TV stations that just have hurricane news 24/7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Fay_(2008)

Fay never intesified to a hurricane thankfully but the place was flooded right up to the Interstate highways shoulders.

The Weather Channel here is very serious about it, but not the news channels. It's like business as usual.
True enough about the TV, hopefully there are enough people up there clued-in to what is happening to tell the others about it. Maybe some will listen ...

Looks like it drifting a bit further North, let's hope it keeps drifting ...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:34 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
True enough about the TV, hopefully there are enough people up there clued-in to what is happening to tell the others about it. Maybe some will listen ...

Looks like it drifting a bit further North, let's hope it keeps drifting ...
Storm Surge Mapping:

http://www.cassowarycoast.qld.gov.au/
http://www.hinchinbrook.qld.gov.au/w...od-information
http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/__data/...Brown_Zone.pdf
http://www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov...t_Cyclone_Yasi
http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/res...tormsurge.aspx
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:35 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://youtube.com/watch?v=489774VefRw

Currently expected to make landfall between Innisfail and Mackay, possibly as Cat 4.
Significant storm surge also likely - potential flooding of low lying/waterfront areas possible.
The majority of rainfall and wind will be to the south of the point of landfall = maybe as far as 300km south.

This is NOT one to play with. This is a serious threat.
Regardless of someone complaining this morning that they were warned a cyclone "might" be coming, and then it didn't, people need to be aware this is coming. If you are in the area likely to be affected ( Cooktown to Yeppoon) and you have elderly neighbours, or people you think are not aware of the threat, please make sure that they are told.

I'm no great fan of Bligh, but what she says in this press conference needs to be listened to - its from the Bureau of Met, from EMQ and from QPS.
Will you STOP putting that woman on my computer
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
I like her.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:46 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Oh gawd, sorry mate I'll try and tippex her face out next time or make her wear a bag on her head or something
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

I like her.
Bernie thinks he might have been married to her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.