Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow Polly I cannot believe the seriousness of that forum!!

How serious do these people take the weather???

Anyway seems we are in for a few more weeks of this stinkin' hot weather according to the "experts" on there..........the humidity is really getting to me.........

Thanks for that.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 5th 2011 at 6:21 am.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow Polly I cannot believe the seriousness of that forum!!

How serious do these people take the weather???

Anyway seems we are in for a few more weeks of this stinkin' hot weather according to the "experts" on there..........the humidity is really getting to me.........

Thanks for that.......
They are real addicts some of them, live for the weather. I'm a sort-of addict, mainly through work, but some of those guys are really serious. You have to plough through them to get the good info but its a useful source for whats coming up

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 5th 2011 at 2:17 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:35 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Still amazed I got out of that one unscathed - other than about 50 sandfly bites. We evacuated Cairns marina on our boat to the mangroves on tuesday morning and tied up, lashed everything down, threw out all our anchors. By wednesday morning when we got the meteorological reports on the vhf that it was upgraded to a high category 5 with an estimated 5 metre storm surge coming straight at us I admit I shed a few tears and the contents of my stomach! (that storm surge would lift us right out of the mangrove into the path of the wind dumping us god knows where). By then the coast guard and emergency services had all off-lined. People on their boats were maydaying for help they were so desperate to get out of there. Some other panicked yachties picked us up in their tinny boat (howling cat in my ruck sack) and we dashed through the waves to shore like the last chopper out of Saigon. Luckily enough some chap we didn't know from Adam invited us to his gaff in Redlynch, nestled in a mountain range, where we drank whisky and hid in the bathroom for the night. All's well that ends well but I feel extremely sorry for the people who suffered the terrifying 300km per hour winds and have lost property.....
What about your boat?