Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita - Queensland Coast

Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita - Queensland Coast

Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:53 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita - Far North & North Queensland

Thanks - I enjoyed my personalised warning texts last time

At least this time round I live up a big hill so only danger of flooding is from water running down the hill on it's way through - not from King tides and whatnot. I still work in a flood prone area though so getting to work (if it's open) could be interesting!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Thanks - I enjoyed my personalised warning texts last time

At least this time round I live up a big hill so only danger of flooding is from water running down the hill on it's way through - not from King tides and whatnot. I still work in a flood prone area though so getting to work (if it's open) could be interesting!
That sounds good, just make sure anyting that the wind can lift is tied down......Little SoB, the dog etc........
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:32 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's what the US Navy's typhoon tracker is predicting it will be doing.
The latest update from them and the latest update from BOM have converged somewhat. Both now have it making landfall and thus losing power, but the US Navy still has it closer to the coast. Frankly with the meandering path I wouldn't be confident in either prediction particularly.

The US Navy path has it swiping Cairns AND hitting the Whitsundays - almost as if targeted.

Even if he did, in the light of whats happening now, recognise that he had made an error, he would never admit to it and would sell the idea of having disaster planners as a radical new initiative
Private disaster planners - employed on an as needed basis (and controlled by a mate of his, with a nice little backhander).
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:28 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That sounds good, just make sure anyting that the wind can lift is tied down......Little SoB, the dog etc........
The temptation is to attach a parachute like thing to DestructoPup and see her fly - she's a cyclone herself at the best of times when she is in one of her moods.

Seriously though, my friend whose house I share and I are moving everything into shelter in a little while. I did my panic buying this morning which consisted of some chips and a packet of those Cadbury Marvellous Creation ice-creams to eat tonight - they really are rather lovely and ideal cyclone food

Originally Posted by GarryP
Private disaster planners - employed on an as needed basis (and controlled by a mate of his, with a nice little backhander).
That sounds about right
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

IDQ20023
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the area between Cape Melville and Cooktown are
requested to USE the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before broadcasting the following warning.

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 22
Issued at 11:58 am EST on Friday 11 April 2014

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal areas from Cape Sidmouth to Innisfail including Cooktown, Port Douglas and Cairns, and extending inland to areas including Kalinga, Palmerville, Mareeba and Chillagoe.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from Innisfail to Cardwell, and
extending to adjacent inland areas.

The Cyclone WARNING for coastal areas from Lockhart to Cape Sidmouth has been CANCELLED.

At 12:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita, Category 5, was estimated to be 175 kilometres north northeast of Cooktown and 330 kilometres north of Cairns, and moving south southwest at 10 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE ITA, CATEGORY 5, poses a serious threat to communities along the far north Queensland coast. It is expected to move in a general south-southwest direction and make landfall between Cape Melville and Cooktown this evening or tonight as a CATEGORY 5 Tropical Cyclone with VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS to 300 kilometres per hour near the core and GALES extending out to 200 kilometres from the centre.

DESTRUCTIVE WINDS with wind gusts in excess of 125 kilometres per hour may develop between Cape Melville and Cooktown during this afternoon, extending south to Cape Tribulation and possibly to Port Douglas tonight. GALES may develop between Cape Sidmouth and Cape Tribulation late this morning or early this afternoon before extending inland to Laura and Palmerville tonight. Gales may extend south to Cairns and Innisfail and inland to Chillagoe overnight, and possibly to Cardwell during Saturday.

The cyclone is expected to be weaken over land overnight, however, there
remains the possibility that Ita will track southwards close to the coast
tonight and maintain cyclone intensity for longer into Saturday. Should this
occur destructive winds with wind gusts to 150 kilometres per hour are possible at Port Douglas and Cairns during Saturday.

Coastal residents between Cape Melville and Cape Tribulation including Cooktown are specifically warned of the dangerous storm tide as the cyclone crosses the coast later today. The sea is likely to rise steadily up to a level which will be significantly above the normal tide, with damaging waves, strong currents and flooding of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by the authorities.
Coastal residents between Cape Tribulation and Innisfail including Cairns
should monitor the situation in case the cyclone takes a more southerly track
than expected.

Very heavy rain, which may lead to flash flooding, is expected to develop about parts of the Peninsula and North Tropical Coast and Tablelands districts today and persist into the weekend.

People between Cape Sidmouth and Innisfail and adjacent inland areas including Laura, Kalinga, Palmerville, Mareeba and Chillagoe should complete preparations
quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
- Boats and outside property should be secured using available daylight hours.
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster
Management Services website (www.disaster.qld.gov.au)
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service (SES) on
132 500 (for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on
buildings or roof damage).

People between Innisfail and Cardwell and adjacent inland areas should consider
what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.
- Information is available from your local government

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita at 12:00 pm EST:
.Centre located near...... 14.0 degrees South 145.7 degrees East
.Location accuracy........ within 15 kilometres
.Recent movement.......... towards the south southwest at 10 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour
.Severity category........ 5
.Central pressure......... 931 hectoPascals

The next advice will be issued by 1:00 pm EST Friday 11 April.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212. The Bureau and the State
Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

A map showing the track of the cyclone is available at:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone
Attached Thumbnails Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita - Queensland Coast-idq65001.png  
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:29 am
Home and Happy

The temptation is to attach a parachute like thing to DestructoPup and see her fly - she's a cyclone herself at the best of times when she is in one of her moods.

Seriously though, my friend whose house I share and I are moving everything into shelter in a little while. I did my panic buying this morning which consisted of some chips and a packet of those Cadbury Marvellous Creation ice-creams to eat tonight - they really are rather lovely and ideal cyclone food

That sounds about right
Certainly going to be a nasty one, went to a Cat 5 faster than expected, 24 hurs before landfall, thats just huge. And the path after it crosses is still so uncertain, could easily curve bac out to sea and then track down the coast, as in the US Navy path Garry mentioned earlier.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:15 am
Feeble Minded

Certainly going to be a nasty one, went to a Cat 5 faster than expected, 24 hurs before landfall, thats just huge. And the path after it crosses is still so uncertain, could easily curve bac out to sea and then track down the coast, as in the US Navy path Garry mentioned earlier.
We're busy moving all smaller objects and tying down and tarpaulining (I know that's not a word ) things we can't move. Debating whether to tell my bro's not to worry .... as they probably aren't worrying anyway as they probably haven't realised that a cyclone is heading this way, so perhaps I shouldn't worry them unnecessarily.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're busy moving all smaller objects and tying down and tarpaulining (I know that's not a word ) things we can't move. Debating whether to tell my bro's not to worry .... as they probably aren't worrying anyway as they probably haven't realised that a cyclone is heading this way, so perhaps I shouldn't worry them unnecessarily.
I wouldn't bother. You can comment after the event how grateful you were for his care and consideration in worrying about you. Stay safe.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:29 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

My brother was staying in what I gather was a rickety old building near Cape Tribulation until recently. I'm very glad he's not there now.

It's unusual to be having such a huge cyclone in the middle of Autumn isn't it? Terrible for those in its path.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:48 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by brissybee
My brother was staying in what I gather was a rickety old building near Cape Tribulation until recently. I'm very glad he's not there now.

It's unusual to be having such a huge cyclone in the middle of Autumn isn't it? Terrible for those in its path.
Its certainly a late one, thats for sure, very unusual to get one after the end of March, especially this big.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:51 am
Feeble Minded

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I wouldn't bother. You can comment after the event how grateful you were for his care and consideration in worrying about you. Stay safe.
Good thinking! ... and thanks - I plan to - that is Plan A - there is no Plan B lol
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:02 am
Home and Happy

IDQ20023
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the area between Cape Melville and Cooktown are
requested to USE the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before broadcasting the
following warning.

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 26
Issued at 3:56 pm EST on Friday 11 April 2014

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal areas from Coen to Innisfail including
Cooktown, Port Douglas and Cairns, and extending inland to areas including
Kalinga, Palmerville, Mareeba and Chillagoe.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from Innisfail to Cardwell,
extending to adjacent inland areas.

The Cyclone WARNING for coastal areas from Cape Sidmouth to Coen has been
CANCELLED.

At 4:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita, Category 5, was estimated to be
120 kilometres north northeast of Cooktown and
280 kilometres north of Cairns, and
moving south southwest at 14 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE ITA, CATEGORY 5, poses a serious threat to communities
along the far north Queensland coast. It is expected to continue to move in a
general south-southwest direction and make landfall between Cape Melville and Cooktown this evening or tonight as a CATEGORY 5 Tropical Cyclone with VERY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS to 300 kilometres per hour near the core and GALES extending out to 185 kilometres from the centre.

DESTRUCTIVE WINDS with wind gusts in excess of 125 kilometres per hour should
develop between Cape Melville and Cooktown this evening, extending south to
Cape Tribulation and possibly to Port Douglas tonight. GALES are currently
occuring between Cape Melville and Cape Flattery and should develop elsewhere
between Coen and Cape Tribulation during this evening before extending inland
to Laura and Palmerville tonight. Gales may extend south to Cairns and
Innisfail and inland to Chillagoe overnight, and possibly to Cardwell during
Saturday.
The cyclone is expected to weaken over land overnight, however, there remains the possibility that Ita could track southwards close to the coast tonight and maintain cyclone intensity for longer into Saturday. Should this occur destructive winds with wind gusts to 150 kilometres per hour are possible at Port Douglas and Cairns during Saturday.

Coastal residents between Cape Melville and Cape Tribulation, including
Cooktown are specifically warned of the dangerous storm tide as the cyclone
crosses the coast later today. The sea is likely to rise steadily up to a level
which will be significantly above the normal tide, with damaging waves, strong
currents and flooding of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People
living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to
protect their property as much as possible and be prepared to follow
instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by the
authorities.
Coastal residents between Cape Tribulation and Innisfail, including Cairns
should monitor the situation in case the cyclone takes a more southerly track
than expected.

Very heavy rain, which may lead to flash flooding, is expected to develop about
parts of the Peninsula and North Tropical Coast and Tablelands districts during
this evening and persist into the weekend. The very heavy rain should gradually
contract southwards with the system over the weekend.

People between Coen and Innisfail and adjacent inland areas including Laura,
Kalinga, Palmerville, Mareeba and Chillagoe should complete preparations
quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
- Boats and outside property should be secured using available daylight hours.
- Follow the evacuation advice or directions of Police, Emergency Services
personnel and local authorities.

People between Innisfail and Cardwell and adjacent inland areas should consider
what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.
- Information is available from your local government

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita at 4:00 pm EST:
.Centre located near...... 14.4 degrees South 145.5 degrees East
.Location accuracy........ within 15 kilometres
.Recent movement.......... towards the south southwest at 14 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour
.Severity category........ 5
.Central pressure......... 931 hectoPascals

The next advice will be issued by 5:00 pm EST Friday 11 April.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212. The Bureau and the State
Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

A map showing the track of the cyclone is available at:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone
Attached Thumbnails Severe Tropical Cyclone Ita - Queensland Coast-idq65001.png  
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

CAIRNS RESIDENTS - Cyclone Evacuation Shelters now open at Edmonton Leisure Centre and Redlynch State College.

If you evacuate to a public shelter you must have ID with you.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 11th 2014 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/communi...cuation/guides

Cairns Disaster Management Group are advising residents in RED and ORAMGE zones to self evacuate due to the possible storm surge heights.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 11th 2014 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/communi...cuation/guides

Cairns Disaster Management Group are advising residents in RED and ORAMGE zones to self evacuate due to the possible storm surge heights.

Blimey, doesn't leave many at home does it?? Didn't realise the flood plain reached so far inland. A friend who owns a GBR dive boat had to get his boat up the inlet at 5:30 this morning. Looks as hairy there tbh but I guess there's a limit to what you can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.