Reload this Page >

SE Queensland Storms

SE Queensland Storms

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SE Queensland Storms

Originally Posted by Louise M
I found people were still racing through the broken traffic lights with little concern for the people who wanted to turn into the road. Saw several near misses. I stopped to let one ute turn in front of me and some idiot coming up behind me overtook and very nearly hit him. Was even worse at the big junctions. In South Africa, there is a 4 way stop system usually based on courtesy and a first come basis, where everyone takes a turn. Works really well in situations like these.

What is it with these mad drivers (in general I've found, not just during the awful weather)??? Have seen soooo many accidents over the past few days down the M1 (I guess they didn't call it that for no reason!). Absolute lunatics - specially the 4wd drivers who seem to think they are invincible to mother natures forces! During the biggy on Sunday, I had to drive back from Eagleby to the city & some of the road was sooooo covered in water I'd have done better in a boat, but they STILL speed past!

Feel really bad for anyone that's had major damage tho - looks terrible & with more on the way, even worse.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Yes, we took out house insurance. Does that mean if there had been damage, that the ins co. would have been in touch by now if damage was reported. Mind you, if phone lines/mobiles/computers are down in The Gap, maybe the current owners haven't been able to make outside contact yet.
Or do the owners still have their own insurance as well as having insurance on the new house they are buying?
The current owners may have their own insurance, or may not, which is why they advise you to get cover from the earliest date.

With your insurance, it would be YOU that would have to advise them of any claim, so nip round and check it out

Some of the damage is incredible, yet others were totally spared. Our local paper today reported that the Redlands SES got called out for one tree having come down in Mount Cotton !

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The current owners may have their own insurance, or may not, which is why they advise you to get cover from the earliest date.

With your insurance, it would be YOU that would have to advise them of any claim, so nip round and check it out

Some of the damage is incredible, yet others were totally spared. Our local paper today reported that the Redlands SES got called out for one tree having come down in Mount Cotton !
Thank goodness the Redlands didn't get hit too bad. We were on the ferry coming back from Stradbroke at 6pm when the storm started. Luckily it wasn't worse!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
Thank goodness the Redlands didn't get hit too bad. We were on the ferry coming back from Stradbroke at 6pm when the storm started. Luckily it wasn't worse!
At 6pm I was waiting at the front door, for my wife to get home, so I could open the garage door for her, as the remote wouldn't work due to no power, and I didn't want her parking MY car out in the wet !!

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:31 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Someone just sent me these pics, pretty amazing stuff!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
stormimages.pdf (1.14 MB, 359 views)
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It does look a bit like a cyclone zone in The Gap - very reminiscent of Troical Cyclone Larry, though in a much smaller area. SES are out in their droves, and there is still no electirc or phone contact (including mobile) in large areas. Optus phones seem to be doing better than Telstra. They hope to get the power back today which in turn will aid the phone situation.

RACQ Insurance estimate the damage bill to hit $25 million and go higher.

Latest from the Courier
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...57-952,00.html

If anyone can pass this info on to people without the internet please do -
Department of Communities will be setting up a one-stop shop at 7 Firhill Street Ashgrove from midday Tuesday - this will help anying in hardship and can organise any help with alternative places to stay and cash hardship grants if eligible. A public assistance line has been established on 1800 173 349.
Lifeline are providing counselling services for anyone who needs/wants it - and for those back home who are surprised at this, trust me, you go through a storm like that and you don't forget it in a hurry.

Finally - I know I said it earlier but please pass it on to anyone using water from The Gap reservoir - YOU MUST BOIL THE WATER before drinking. The roof collapsed into the reservoir and the water has a certain level of contamination.
Free bottled water is available from The Gap State School at the corner of Waterworks and Settlement Roads.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 18th 2008 at 1:12 am.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

FORECAST FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS _ SE QLD

Isolated showers and thunderstorms in most districts. Cloudy with rain .....becoming heavy at times in the SE corner, especially about coastal areas south of Brisbane overnight. Expect stream rises and possible local flooding associated with this rain band. During Wednesday a broad rain band with embedded thunderstorms forms in western Queensland and moves eastwards ...expect locally heavy falls associated with this rain band. .... Expected to continue its progress over eastern districts early Thursday morning. Expect locally heavy falls associated with this rain band. This rain band partially clears coastal districts late Thursday, however remnant high moisture levels will allow showers and thunderstorms for form along the east coast later in the day.

Showers and more isolated storms expected Fri/Sat.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ10700.txt
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:21 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Judging by the last two updates, this little patch of rain is spreading out north and east at the moment. I'll be popping out to get my washing in shortly.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20041.html
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Judging by the last two updates, this little patch of rain is spreading out north and east at the moment. I'll be popping out to get my washing in shortly.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20041.html
I think I'll rest easy for the moment, by my calcs that's an area of about 400,000 square kms
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:32 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think I'll rest easy for the moment, by my calcs that's an area of about 400,000 square kms
Couple of nasty little ones brewing out there - one seems to be going south-east towards the Gold Coast, the other at the moment is heding for Brisbane......also more cells further out. ...... I'd get the washing in!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:36 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

Yes, I wasn't being entirely serious when I said "little patch". There's quite a bit of water hovering up there (and by that I mean, A LOT)
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Some biggish black clouds over CBD at the moment, BOM radar shows rain near Wivenhoe as well
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Yes, I wasn't being entirely serious when I said "little patch". There's quite a bit of water hovering up there (and by that I mean, A LOT)
I like a lady who says what she means!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Couple of nasty little ones brewing out there - one seems to be going south-east towards the Gold Coast, the other at the moment is heding for Brisbane......also more cells further out. ...... I'd get the washing in!
Noticed those Polly. I'm becoming quite a little storm-chaser.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

Noticed those Polly. I'm becoming quite a little storm-chaser.
Its addictive isn't it!
http://www.bsch.au.com/
and
http://www.bom.gov.au/storm_spotters...spotter1.shtml
are interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.