British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   This rain...QLD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rain-qld-746043/)

macy Jan 24th 2012 9:10 am

This rain...QLD

It feels like last year doesn't it. I'm thinking of keeping the kids off school tomorrow as I am worried that I will drop them off in the morning and then be unable to get back to them in the afternoon (they go to school in the city and we live 15km away).

Living Northside Brisbane we are getting it really bad and it is meant to just rain and rain until at least Wednesday night.

I came down the Gympie Road around 3.30pm at Caseldine and it was starting to flood just like this time last year, also starting to flood at the large roundabout that is near Chermside.

Thank you to Pollyanne for the updates, bet you are busy at the moment.

Grayling Jan 24th 2012 9:11 am

Re: This rain...QLD

Originally Posted by macy (Post 9861715)
It feels like last year doesn't it. I'm thinking of keeping the kids off school tomorrow as I am worried that I will drop them off in the morning and then be unable to get back to them in the afternoon (they go to school in the city and we live 15km away).

Living Northside Brisbane we are getting it really bad and it is meant to just rain and rain until at least Wednesday night.

I came down the Gympie Road around 3.30pm at Caseldine and it was starting to flood just like this time last year, also starting to flood at the large roundabout that is near Chermside.

Thank you to Pollyanne for the updates, bet you are busy at the moment.

It has been shocking over here on the bay

The local creeks were over the roads earlier.....likely to get worse as well:ohmy:

curly Jan 24th 2012 9:33 am

Really bad here on the Gold Coast too :(

I too am thinking of not sending my son to school tomorrow also according to Higgins Storm Chasers we have this system until Sunday :O

Marleys Ghost Jan 24th 2012 9:41 am

Rain here is awful:( Redcliffe.

Son started new school today, and he was a soaking rag when we collected him at the end of the day.

We're prepared for him to go to school, or not, tomorrow.

After the floods last year, and our own personal experience of them, I think that we all have to make last minute decisions in the morning.

From memory, the floods last year ended prior to school resuming after the summer holiday. I recall, maybe a couple of years prior to that, being called to say that my son's school was being evacuated and that we had to go collect him.

I think the forecast is for torrential rain till Sunday at least.

Hey Ho! There's plenty we can be doing at home :)

MG

Kim67 Jan 24th 2012 9:49 am

It's raining a lot, but no worse than a lot of years in the last 12 or so summers I've spent here. Last year it rained for three months non-stop before we got the flooding in January. The news channels are milking it for all it's worth and scare mongering.

DadAgain Jan 24th 2012 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9861767)
.. Last year it rained for three months non-stop before we got the flooding in January. The news channels are milking it for all it's worth and scare mongering.

+1 absolutely... Its just a bit of rain and in 2 weeks time it'll be all forgotten about again... until NEXT time it rains.. and then the scare mongering will start all over again.

I did have a journey from The Gap to Kenmore abandonned today because Gap Creek road was about 1m deep and very fast flowing - not even the Prado/Pajero set were getting through that.

I also had an interview in Bowen Hills where I had struggled to get to the reception of the place I was going because the water was about 20cm deep across the footpath in front of the building (I demonstrated some creative resourcefull thinking to get in thanks to a passing taxi driver)!

None of this is terribly unusual though for a proper Brisbane summer, and you'd expect at least one event of this magnitude quite frequently. I've lost count of the number of times over the years the news has reported people havign cars washed away by floodwater around Breakfast creek, or Toombul, or Wooloongabba... or... <insert any suburb with low lying parts and a creek>

DeadVim Jan 24th 2012 10:01 am

It's raining a lot, but no worse than a lot of years in the last 12 or so summers I've spent here. Last year it rained for three months non-stop before we got the flooding in January. The news channels are milking it for all it's worth and scare mongering.

Aye, the ground is much better able to handle a few days of this compared to last year.

It is still good to be prepared (have a plan, monitor the sites, etc) but this isn't like last year. Not to say it couldn't get worse.

I haven't unpacked our 'lets get out of here' box from then so that is one less job :D

I don't watch the main TV news but I can imagine them building themselves up into 'we might actually have something to report' mode.

Give it a week and we'll be cursing the infernal heat ;)

Beoz Jan 24th 2012 10:09 am

I feel for you guys living in it. Just tried to cancel my long weekend to the sunshine coast ...... Jetstar no go.

Broad Shoulders Jan 24th 2012 10:27 am

I'd disagree there. I've been here for 10 years now and the last 2 have been the wettest summers in that time. Yes the news is milking it, but before Oct 09 we had a good 6 years of drought. The only rain we got in that time was through the odd flash storm and then it would be all dry again, nothing like the torrential downpours of the last 2 years

bcworld Jan 24th 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 9861830)
I'd disagree there. I've been here for 10 years now and the last 2 have been the wettest summers in that time. Yes the news is milking it, but before Oct 09 we had a good 6 years of drought. The only rain we got in that time was through the odd flash storm and then it would be all dry again, nothing like the torrential downpours of the last 2 years

The drought ended long before 09.

DadAgain Jan 24th 2012 10:37 am

I remember some absolute doozy wet stormy summers in the late 90's early 2000's before the weird couple of years of 'failed' rain-free drought summers.

The last couple of years (La Nina pattern) may have been slightly wetter than 'average' but they seem worse simply because they were on the back of a run of dry (El Nino pattern) summers. If the Pacific gets its shit together and settles, we'll get nice average rainfall back! :D

bingobob777 Jan 24th 2012 10:40 am

275mm in Caloundra since 9am.

Experts say it's to get heavier overnight :eek:.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/s...east-qld/20140

Broad Shoulders Jan 24th 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9861833)
The drought ended long before 09.

April 09' the dam levels went from 45% to 72% and marked the official end of the drought, but not water restrictions.

bcworld Jan 24th 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 9861852)
April 09' the dam levels went from 45% to 72% and marked the official end of the drought, but not water restrictions.

...and the dams had previously been MUCH lower than 45%...more like 15% in Wivenhoe's case. Then it started raining...a lot...and eventually the Dam inflows start.

Remember in 2007...more than 700mm fell at the Sunshine Coast in 1 day!!

brissybee Jan 24th 2012 10:54 am

I can't get over how many poor little kids I saw walking to school this morning.

No umbrella and absolutely saturated for the day.

I just don't get parents who leave littlies to walk to school on their own and/or leave kids of any age to walk to school in the pouring rain without an umbrella. :frown: