Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Question for Renth or any other firefighters

Question for Renth or any other firefighters

Old Dec 28th 2007, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Renth or any other firefighters

My hubbie was a retained (24 hour cover) firefighter in the UK and says it has been one of the most satisfying things he has ever done, it is one of the biggest things he misses about being here, the lads (as he calls them) became more like brothers to him, he still phones the station to speak to them all regularly. Funny thing though, his experience doesn't count for anything over here and if he were to join the voluntary brigade he would have to start all over again (although thinking about it he doesn't have much bush fire experience)
Old Dec 28th 2007, 5:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs_chrispy
Hi,
Given the amount of fires around at the moment I was wondering if it would be worth investing in getting a grands worth of firefighting pump and hose to protect the house in the event of a fire or whether it would be like pissing in the wind and a waste of time. We live on a hill surrounded by bush and after having a chat with a guy in a shop today about what we should get came back more confused then ever.
If it were me I'd make sure all me breaks were well maintained and my gutters were regularly cleaned. You definitely have to have a plan and stick to it. Stay and fight, or leave early. I'd probably invest that grand in beefy reticulation and switch that on when the fire is approaching. I'd probably also have the pump too to back it up and I'd make sure the wife and kids were well out of harms way when it was time to use it. Give your local bushfire brigade a call for advice. That's probably the best thing because they advise on your specific situation.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
If it were me I'd make sure all me breaks were well maintained and my gutters were regularly cleaned. You definitely have to have a plan and stick to it. Stay and fight, or leave early. I'd probably invest that grand in beefy reticulation and switch that on when the fire is approaching. I'd probably also have the pump too to back it up and I'd make sure the wife and kids were well out of harms way when it was time to use it. Give your local bushfire brigade a call for advice. That's probably the best thing because they advise on your specific situation.
I'd go with what has been said - but advice can vary. It is a bit of a science and some people believe their house is defendable and others disagree.

ie. some people believe that trees actually provide cover and protect, others won't have them near the house. Some people recognise that some fuels are naturally fire retardent.

Most people power their static water supply - I'd say minimum of 4500l tank from their diesel or petrol pump - you cannot rely on mains reticulated water or pressure. You need to be in the house mannning the system - damping down a house with this system and then evacuating before a front comes through would be too early. So the system is only any good if you are in situ and have the means to fight the fire.

You then need to patrol for spot fires for a while - all day. if necessary. This is important if not more important than the sprinkler system. Most houses catch and burn down after the front has gone through. Mats left outside or on decks are a major issue.

As for pools, in Ash Wednesday 1983, people survived in them - but may not have faired too well in metal tanks or enclosures if memory serves. And even above ground pools were burnt all the way down to the water line.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing, probably quite obvious is that most people who stay manage to save their houses. The vast majority of houses lost are to people who leave.

Also, most people who die in bushfires are those that either don't stick to their plan or decide to leave far too late.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, most people who die in bushfires are those that either don't stick to their plan or decide to leave far too late.
Or volunteer fire fighters doing a service to their community
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Or volunteer fire fighters doing a service to their community
In Upper Beaconsfield 1983, double digit fatalities were attributed to Narre Warren and Panton Hills (a brigade from across town) tankers getting trapped down a track with a wind change and no burn over protection. Only a few civilian deaths.

The local brigade itself were fine - and it still causes tension today.

In 1998 there was a burnover in Linton and a few people bought the farm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:29 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In Upper Beaconsfield 1983, double digit fatalities were attributed to Narre Warren and Panton Hills (a brigade from across town) tankers getting trapped down a track with a wind change and no burn over protection. Only a few civilian deaths.

The local brigade itself were fine - and it still causes tension today.

In 1998 there was a burnover in Linton and a few people bought the farm.
That's one of the reasons we as RFB DO NOT automatically hand over control to full time urban units in QLD. The Urban unit's are highly trained firefighters yet often lack vital local knowledge regarding forestry tracks etc. What looks like a navigable road on a map can often be cut by a stream or may be impossible to turn an appliance around in.
Do you guys practice getting three blokes completely covered with their "burnover blankets" in a three seater Ute?
Damn near impossible
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:21 am
(It's not my real name)

Do you guys practice getting three blokes completely covered with their "burnover blankets" in a three seater Ute?
Damn near impossible
You have burn over blankets? Luxury, bloody luxury, we don't have these in WA. Maybe the powers that be think burn over blankets will turn us into softies.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:24 am

You have burn over blankets? Luxury, bloody luxury, we don't have these in WA. Maybe the powers that be think burn over blankets will turn us into softies.
Every vehicle is fitted with thick woolen burnover blankets one per person. Our primary vehicles are Mitsubishi Canters [light rigid], the light attack ones are a 4X4 Toyota's The blankets are in bags velcro fixed to the inner cab roof, hit a pothole & they come down on your head.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:48 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep it's a case of clearing all trees & shrubs for a 3m [bare minimum] perimeter around your property then keeping the grass mowed short.
Our fire plan is 10 m firebreaks around the block and no trees closer than 5 m around the house. We keep the vegetation 1m around the boundary poisoned to prevent fire creeping across the breaks. We have external taps with hose fittings on each corner of the house for damping down & keep 2 new hose pipes in the house for emergency use. Past loses in our area were due to home fire fighting equipment being left outside as the fire's swept through leaving no means of damping down.
All of us in the house are volunteers in the Rural Fire Brigade, Josh & I are active fire fighters, Deb is first aid officer.
In the event of a serious bush fire our home is classed as defendable i.e can be damped down to prevent total loss.
All that taken into account we would still leave it & flee if the fire was deemed bad enough.
Blimey! Is there no end to your talents?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Blimey! Is there no end to your talents?
We do our bit for the community we live in, that's one of the reasons I like living out here Plus if I'm driving the fire truck & my place is on fire along with a few others then it's a no contest as to whose house gets damped down
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Every vehicle is fitted with thick woolen burnover blankets one per person. Our primary vehicles are Mitsubishi Canters [light rigid], the light attack ones are a 4X4 Toyota's The blankets are in bags velcro fixed to the inner cab roof, hit a pothole & they come down on your head.
We just spray water all over the vehicles and take cover behind heat shields. Whether or not these will work is something else.

Those not using the hoses also get a blanket. A fog pattern from a hose absorbs heat a fair bit better than a jet.

It's the radiant heat that kills so even a blanket might make the difference.
On Ash Wednesday the local brigade used blankets and climbed into an old truck cab. It was a wonder they all got in!

I was interested to know that QLD has ''retained'' (paid) semi-pro FF and the Rural lot. We just have Met and Country, with Country have some full timers. Noone who is not full time professional gets paid.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aston man
chris i have to be honest,i never give the fires a second though,like you ive done all i can...
i havent seen one yet..you obviously know about the one last year that that bloke started and wiped half the hill out..only took one house out though..
i looked on my insurance and it say something about not being insured for damage by heat,i presume that means the sun?
errr. or fire, that is pretty hot!!!
When i got house insurence i was surprised that liviung in the hills didn't make it more expensive, maybe i had better check it is covered..

May you beer mug be full all New Year...Hope you and the family have a memorable first New Year in Aus
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was interested to know that QLD has ''retained'' (paid) semi-pro FF and the Rural lot. We just have Met and Country, with Country have some full timers. Noone who is not full time professional gets paid.
Qld only has Urban & Rural brigades. Some of the Urban stations have "part time" firefighters i.e retained.
The Rural Fire Service provides fire services to 93 per cent of Queensland through two regions, 15 districts and 1653 brigades, with 36 uniformed officers and approximately 44 000 volunteers, including 2460 fire wardens.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Qld only has Urban & Rural brigades. Some of the Urban stations have "part time" firefighters i.e retained.
The Rural Fire Service provides fire services to 93 per cent of Queensland through two regions, 15 districts and 1653 brigades, with 36 uniformed officers and approximately 44 000 volunteers, including 2460 fire wardens.
Thanks for the clarification. I wish we had retained FF in Country (which starts 20k from CBD) as we might even get paid....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.