Eating out

Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eating out

There seems to be more people eating out now than ever. There are restaurants and cafes opening up all over the place around here and they seem to be doing very good business. Not sure why the Cafe culture has reached seemingly plague proportions in Melbourne, but it certainly isn't abating.

Maybe it's because eating in these places you get to sample stuff you wouldn't have thought of eating in your own household. So to put this view to the test I figured I'd try a menu sample.

So over to you guys..... place your 3 closest eateries menus on here so we can compare..... Fast food chains excepted.

Closest is a Vegetarian/Vegan Cafe... "Little Deer Tracks"

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/lit...rg/menu#tabtop

Second a Chameleon like Cafe/Bar that goes from the early hours as a breakfast venue to a relaxed vibe bar later on.

"The Boot Factory"

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/the...rg/menu#tabtop

"The Glass Den"

Cafe/bar.

Menu - The Glass Den

We find ourselves at the places or the plethora of others around here as a minimum of 3 times a fortnight these days.... far far more when we are on holiday.

I'd love to see some from London or the places around the UK where there is more disposable income.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 27th 2016 at 1:30 am.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating out

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There seems to be more people eating out now than ever. There are restaurants and cafes opening up all over the place around here and they seem to be doing very good business. Not sure why the Cafe culture has reached seemingly plague proportions in Melbourne, but it certainly isn't abating.
My observation is the only businesses that survive are F&B. My local strip is Chapel St and in the traditional shopping sections in South Yarra and Prahran a lot of it looking pretty sad...you could count 5 empty shops in a row in places and in total, dozens. Where it's all happening is the Windsor end, but the only things that open and survive are cafes and restaurants. Other businesses open then fail a few months later...seen it over and over again. A few high profile places have opened in Windsor which draw in the crowds, then even the mediocre places benefit when customers find out it's a 90 minute wait for a table at their preferred place!

People are happy to spend money on food when they're much more cautious when it comes to buying 'things'.

Popular places locally:

• Tokyo Tina
  • Mr Miyagi
  • Hawker Hall - a relative of Chin Chin and has outrageous wait times to get a table. However, the food is actually really not that great, the place just looks good!
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
My observation is the only businesses that survive are F&B. My local strip is Chapel St and in the traditional shopping sections in South Yarra and Prahran a lot of it looking pretty sad...you could count 5 empty shops in a row in places and in total, dozens. Where it's all happening is the Windsor end, but the only things that open and survive are cafes and restaurants. Other businesses open then fail a few months later...seen it over and over again. A few high profile places have opened in Windsor which draw in the crowds, then even the mediocre places benefit when customers find out it's a 90 minute wait for a table at their preferred place!

People are happy to spend money on food when they're much more cautious when it comes to buying 'things'.

Popular places locally:

• Tokyo Tina
  • Mr Miyagi
  • Hawker Hall - a relative of Chin Chin and has outrageous wait times to get a table. However, the food is actually really not that great, the place just looks good!

That Hawker Hall looks interesting to me..... I noticed you can get Two Birds Sunset Ale on tap there, which is a rare treat...On Tap I mean... That won Beer of the Year in Weatherspoons Real Ale awards last year. Naughty Hawker Hall though...no prices on their menu.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-business...05-gks8t8.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 27th 2016 at 4:03 am.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That Hawker Hall looks interesting to me..... I noticed you can get Two Birds Sunset Ale on tap there, which is a rare treat...On Tap I mean... That won Beer of the Year in Weatherspoons Real Ale awards last year. Naughty Hawker Hall though...no prices on their menu.

Two Birds wins best beer at Wetherspoon's Real Ale festival
The version that won a award was a real ale version brewed at the Banks brewery in Wolverhampton.

That version is not available in Australia...it will be a kegged version....very different.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

There are signs here on the waterfront in Williamstown advertising two new Italian restaurants "opening soon" about five doors apart. If I were them I would definitely have wanted to have those signs up around September to make the most of the summer season... you could fire a shotgun down there on a rainy Tuesday night in winter without much risk of disturbing anyone.

We went to a nice gastropub which had just opened when we moved here in February last year and it was shuttered about a month later - it has been vacant since (now the Italian is "opening soon" in there). You have to wonder if these people know what they are doing sometimes.