Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much should I haggle off this car?

How much should I haggle off this car?

Old May 30th 2015, 8:25 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much should I haggle off this car?

So, we're looking for an SUV for camping and ScouseLady likes the Mitsubishi Outlander. We viewed this car and liked it, but what's a reasonable amount to try and haggle off a used car?

I actually think the price is fair, but we've only been in Aus 3 days and so money saved can be spent better elsewhere, so I'm going to be a little cheeky!
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander ZH LS MY10
Old May 31st 2015, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much should I haggle off this car?

"It has the power to smash the terrain". Great selling point...

I'm afraid I can't answer your question SM, just amazed at some of the BS car dealers come up with. Best of luck with whatever vehicle you end up with though
Old May 31st 2015, 1:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScouseMan
So, we're looking for an SUV for camping and ScouseLady likes the Mitsubishi Outlander. We viewed this car and liked it, but what's a reasonable amount to try and haggle off a used car?

I actually think the price is fair, but we've only been in Aus 3 days and so money saved can be spent better elsewhere, so I'm going to be a little cheeky!
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander ZH LS MY10
This is what redbook suggests are the range of values for that year and model. Note that the owner probably wouldn't get more than 11 grand as a trade-in. It's got decent mileage - if the vehicle's in really good nick, I'd be offering $13,000 and be prepared to go a little higher if I really wanted it. I wouldn't be paying $15,500 - I'd go $14,000 tops. But it all depends on how much you (your wife ) wants it.
It also might be worth getting the vehicle checked out before handing over the cash - I know the RAC do used vehicle checks but I'm sure lots of other places do as well.

Valuation Prices
*Private Price Guide $11,700 - $13,600
*Trade In Price Guide $9,000 - $10,900
*Average Km 80,000 - 130,000
Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:31 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This is what redbook suggests are the range of values for that year and model. Note that the owner probably wouldn't get more than 11 grand as a trade-in. It's got decent mileage - if the vehicle's in really good nick, I'd be offering $13,000 and be prepared to go a little higher if I really wanted it. I wouldn't be paying $15,500 - I'd go $14,000 tops. But it all depends on how much you (your wife ) wants it.
It also might be worth getting the vehicle checked out before handing over the cash - I know the RAC do used vehicle checks but I'm sure lots of other places do as well.

Valuation Prices
*Private Price Guide $11,700 - $13,600
*Trade In Price Guide $9,000 - $10,900
*Average Km 80,000 - 130,000
Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au
Brilliant, thanks for the link