Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stormy Weather

Originally Posted by paulrachel
you really are magic Polly
i aim to please
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Well we've had our thimblefull of rain for the month, there's something burning out there, no, I haven't left the barbie on.
Biggish fire up the Dayboro Road just a few K's above the quarry's about 20 crews up there apparantly, was quite a bit of smoke when we peaked at tea time you could see it all the way down at Bruce Highway.

Bloody storm passed over withot rain so won't have helped to put it out. Fingers crossed they snuff it or we will be having a new house if it comes down hill.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Biggish fire up the Dayboro Road just a few K's above the quarry's about 20 crews up there apparantly, was quite a bit of smoke when we peaked at tea time you could see it all the way down at Bruce Highway.

Bloody storm passed over withot rain so won't have helped to put it out. Fingers crossed they snuff it or we will be having a new house if it comes down hill.
How you going up there? Only info I can track down says 23 pumps up there (8pm), fire moving south from Neilsen Road, no properties threatened at that time, and they were water bombing. Mind you that was a couple of hours ago, but the external access to work crashed during the storm and has only just recovered.

Wind has got up a lot now .......fingers crossed for you.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wind has got up a lot now .......fingers crossed for you.
Its now blowing a full gale - 60kph. Haven't heard from annqldau or 232bar so lets just hope the wind is blowinf the fire the right way

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800561.htm

And iPom...... I hope this doesn't mean you're under threat again?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800547.htm

SE Qld is one a Fire Weather Warning again tomorrow, and I don't think it'll be alone.

Not a good night, stay safe everyone.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its now blowing a full gale - 60kph. Haven't heard from annqldau or 232bar so lets just hope the wind is blowinf the fire the right way

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800561.htm

And iPom...... I hope this doesn't mean you're under threat again?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800547.htm

SE Qld is one a Fire Weather Warning again tomorrow, and I don't think it'll be alone.

Not a good night, stay safe everyone.
South would not have been good for us but hopefully the rain overnight will have helped put it out. wind now dropped but can remember hearing it through the night at times.

Was some good lightening forks last night but very little rain initially most of it came later in the night.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Well not a huge amount of rain but cracking storm, unless you were hubby and girls driving past the power station thingy just as lightning hit it- the world went green and then very very dark Got power back at about 3 I think. Never been to bed so early - 9:30
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:40 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Invest in a cheap generator from bunnings (about $150).

I will power the TV + Audio or the Fridge/Freezer.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well not a huge amount of rain but cracking storm, unless you were hubby and girls driving past the power station thingy just as lightning hit it- the world went green and then very very dark Got power back at about 3 I think. Never been to bed so early - 9:30
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin

A good sized decent one is on the "on going, things for the house" shopping list.

Could have done without being woken up at 3:30 with the verandah light going on and the phone coming back to life hey ho!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by themerlin

Nice to see you get your priorities correct the TV + Audio or the Fridge/Freezer... so lets see do we want to be entertained or eat... .
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:57 am

Ours stayed on, on our list of wants instead of a night out at the pub (as there aren't any) is a Generator... .

Here's a good lightening story... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...478497,00.html
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Ours stayed on, on our list of wants instead of a night out at the pub (as there aren't any) is a Generator... .

Here's a good lightening story... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...478497,00.html
Some dozy urk at hubby's work, when he said we wanted a generator, wanted to know how we would plug it in to make it work when there was a power outage Sometimes, things are just not worth explaining
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:12 am

Some dozy urk at hubby's work, when he said we wanted a generator, wanted to know how we would plug it in to make it work when there was a power outage Sometimes, things are just not worth explaining
Quite agree it's a bit like trying to explain to an Aussie how daylight saving won't fade your curtains... .
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Quite agree it's a bit like trying to explain to an Aussie how daylight saving won't fade your curtains... .
All the Aussie I speak to are pissed we don't have it. One did say she voted against it because she wanted the children to go to bed and she was set on by about 20 people from various places with Daylight saving
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:28 am

All the Aussie I speak to are pissed we don't have it. One did say she voted against it because she wanted the children to go to bed and she was set on by about 20 people from various places with Daylight saving
Think they are starting to come round to the idea and even Peter Beattie has mentioned having votes on it again.

Not that you would need it today as has been grey all day just like being back in Brit.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what you're all wittering on about!

I looked at four weather forecasts this morning - two from the weather Channel.

They were:

1) Clear and sunny
2) Overcast/cloudy all day
3) Drizzle
4) Rain and showers

So I exercised my democratic right and chose the cloudy option - since I would be on site all day and didn't want to burn.

And it *was*!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.