Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Outlook [new laptop]

Outlook [new laptop]

Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outlook [new laptop]

Help! I'm turning into my dad. I dropped my trusty old laptop last week so have invested a few bucks in a replacement. This new Windows 8.1 has me totally confused. Just like my dad I'm getting wary of change, I'll be whinging F/B or skype has changed again next
What do need to import my old email addresses? I have a very old hotmail address that I use for spam filtering on forums but my primary bigpond one is not the one on my business cards so I need both of those adding as well.
Do I need to download outlook or another mail provider?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:14 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outlook [new laptop]

Originally Posted by cresta57
Help! I'm turning into my dad. I dropped my trusty old laptop last week so have invested a few bucks in a replacement. This new Windows 8.1 has me totally confused. Just like my dad I'm getting wary of change, I'll be whinging F/B or skype has changed again next
What do need to import my old email addresses? I have a very old hotmail address that I use for spam filtering on forums but my primary bigpond one is not the one on my business cards so I need both of those adding as well.
Mr SC gonnae come and help u in minute. (soon as he gets off bog
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:27 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Awright mate, if you have ms office you will already have outlook, most probably. This will help you get back on email. As for your history, due to tesltra's retention policy almost all of your historic mails will most likely be gone from their servers (this is actually a good thing as it makes it more difficult for anyone investigating anything in your mail history). Telstra still have a backup of it all but do not provide a retrieval service (unless you are the secret service). So this leaves you with the option of recovering from the box of bits you left on the floor. Is it in any way useable? Even without a working screen you can usually boot a dropped lappy (you didnt drop it from the top of Q1 did you?). If you can access it then its easy to create a mail archive that is transportable across computers. If the screen is broke you can plug it into the (modern) telly usually, either using the vga output or hdmi) if neither of those are working then you might need to get a wee bit technical. let me know the state of the old one and i'll let you know yer options.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:46 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Awright mate, if you have ms office you will already have outlook, most probably. This will help you get back on email. As for your history, due to tesltra's retention policy almost all of your historic mails will most likely be gone from their servers (this is actually a good thing as it makes it more difficult for anyone investigating anything in your mail history). Telstra still have a backup of it all but do not provide a retrieval service (unless you are the secret service). So this leaves you with the option of recovering from the box of bits you left on the floor. Is it in any way useable? Even without a working screen you can usually boot a dropped lappy (you didnt drop it from the top of Q1 did you?). If you can access it then its easy to create a mail archive that is transportable across computers. If the screen is broke you can plug it into the (modern) telly usually, either using the vga output or hdmi) if neither of those are working then you might need to get a wee bit technical. let me know the state of the old one and i'll let you know yer options.
Cheers for that Mr SC. I have access to the old laptop but the damaged corner/hinge has impeded the cpu fan so limited time before it overheats & shuts down. I copied the entire drive as soon as it happened so haven't lost any files as yet.
I have a Windows Office 2010 disc though I think it had 3/4 limited licences. I'll install that & just use outlook same as before. If it lets me....
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:21 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

If it prevents you from installing due to you maxing out on the licence count you can click the activate by phone button which will display the number to call and (I think) a reference code that you can quote. Just explain that your old laptop is broken so you cant uninstall it and they'll make the necessary adjustments their end.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

My primary machine is a MacBook pro, I've had it a few years, their upgrades do not seem to change the look and feel of the system but to be honest they do not have anything like Microsoft Office, used to be, before they started to mess around with it. On the MacBook I have a Parallels Partition with a copy of Windows XP installed, on this I run a copy of Office 2003 which enables me to still use a few old but useful XL Spreadsheets and I still type most of my letters in Microsoft Word. I'm retired now but when working I was an MCSE, I can understand how people struggle with the constant changes from Micro$oft.