Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

BE Members in disaster-affected parts of Aus update here please

BE Members in disaster-affected parts of Aus update here please

Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Default Re: BE Members in QLD/NSW update here please

We're all right here in Rocky now - the beer trucks have started rolling in again Mx
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:57 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
We're all right here in Rocky now - the beer trucks have started rolling in again Mx
Praise be, rolling coverage on 9 News no doubt ... there'll be a camera in the truck, on the truck, drinkers will be interviewed before and after drinking and the urinals will be covered by streaming video.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Phew!!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
We're in Graceville, near the river. We raised everything at home as high as we could before leaving Weds morning. OH went to north Bris to stay with his sister, I went to work where I've been pretty much ever since. Couldn't get home for the last 2 nights so just been wondering if the house was flooded. I've worked 15 hour shifts (I'm at South Bank/West End which is really badly affected) and just ducked to a mate's near work to get a few hours kip because couldn't get home.

My Station is flooded out so we're working out of another nearby station. I had to borrow bits and pieces of other people's uniforms because mine was all in the flooded Station! Yesterday I did my patrols of West End in a boat, going along seeing the roofs of people's houses - it's been unbelievable.

Finally made it home this arvo to find my house is fine, the flood made it to my front door and stopped. My next door neighbour, plus the house behind us plus the house opposite us are flooded out. Their houses and their stuff is wrecked, it's just awful. We must be the luckiest people in Graceville. Our street looks like a war zone, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. From my next door neighbours house down, the houses are ruined, with people everywhere covered in mud, houses gone under and everyone's possessions piled out on the street because it's all ruined. It's just terrible.

Staying at sister-in-law's house tonight (with OH finally!) now we can get through as still no power at home. Don't know when we'll be able to get home, just very thankful we got away with it by the skin of our teeth.

OH will help with the neighbours clean ups while I go back to work. It's going to be crazy for quite a while yet......

Thinking of those who weren't so lucky....
Wow. That is excellent news Scubaemma. I have been thinking of all the police who have been working crazy hours - thank you for doing it
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Phew!!!
Might even have some bread in woollies now - I could not get any the other day but at least they had hot cross buns Mx
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Might even have some bread in woollies now - I could not get any the other day but at least they had hot cross buns Mx
Funny I've noticed that some bakeries next door to bare supermarkets have lots of bread.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What struck me as funny was in Woolies yesterday. No tomatoes in the fresh veg bit so they'd filled the boxes with tinned toms.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Praise be, rolling coverage on 9 News no doubt ... there'll be a camera in the truck, on the truck, drinkers will be interviewed before and after drinking and the urinals will be covered by streaming video.
You're a rotter @ streaming video lol MING MONG PETE TONG!!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Funny I've noticed that some bakeries next door to bare supermarkets have lots of bread.
They bake in the shops though and are very busy out this way. Queues of people.

Vegetables are few and far between. Not too worried about it though.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:20 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Wow. That is excellent news Scubaemma. I have been thinking of all the police who have been working crazy hours - thank you for doing it
Went out to Graceville yesterday to help with the cleanup and the devastation has to be seen to be believed. We worked in Goodna on Friday,cleaning up at the little shopping mall and that was bad enough but to see peoples lives piled up under stinking mud on the roadside is heartbreaking.
We live in Springfield Lakes and the only affect the floods had on us was the incovenience of not being able to get to work. It was like being in a cuckoon, life was going on as normal, kids playing in the park,walking to the shops, walking their dogs, sat outside restaurants having a meal ...................and literally 5 minutes down the road all that was visible of a 2 storey house was the ridge tiles!!!!!!!!
These people are going to need help not just today and tomorrow but for weeks and months to come. The house we were at yesterday was a couple with kids on White Street in Graceville and when we left the ceilings had just been pulled down (what had not already fallen down) all the walls had been knocked back to the framework, the fittings in the kitchen had been pulled up and that was just the start of it. I think it really hit home though when after wheelbarrowing a pile of black stinking mud caked carpets out of the back yard onto the street right at the bottom of the pile was the kids xmas stockings and xmas decorations obviously only just taken down and put away.
That was when I realised just how lucky I was.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by loz
Went out to Graceville yesterday to help with the cleanup and the devastation has to be seen to be believed. We worked in Goodna on Friday,cleaning up at the little shopping mall and that was bad enough but to see peoples lives piled up under stinking mud on the roadside is heartbreaking.
We live in Springfield Lakes and the only affect the floods had on us was the incovenience of not being able to get to work. It was like being in a cuckoon, life was going on as normal, kids playing in the park,walking to the shops, walking their dogs, sat outside restaurants having a meal ...................and literally 5 minutes down the road all that was visible of a 2 storey house was the ridge tiles!!!!!!!!
These people are going to need help not just today and tomorrow but for weeks and months to come. The house we were at yesterday was a couple with kids on White Street in Graceville and when we left the ceilings had just been pulled down (what had not already fallen down) all the walls had been knocked back to the framework, the fittings in the kitchen had been pulled up and that was just the start of it. I think it really hit home though when after wheelbarrowing a pile of black stinking mud caked carpets out of the back yard onto the street right at the bottom of the pile was the kids xmas stockings and xmas decorations obviously only just taken down and put away.
It is surreal isn't it. Not many natural disasters where people can be sitting in the sunshine enjoying an alfresco cup of coffee or reading the paper while a few minutes down the road people are trying desperately to save their house or possessions. Weird.

Our company is giving 1 day free leave for every Brisbane staff member (300-400) who wishes to volunteer for a day cleaning up this week.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loz
Jeese, that is dreadful . Thank God the family are safe and well the kids will have new stockings next year. What is being done to help them there atm.Is aid filtering thro`??Or is it just volunteers atm? Local group her in Sydney is collecting clorthing to send but most charities and aid groups are asking for $.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What struck me as funny was in Woolies yesterday. No tomatoes in the fresh veg bit so they'd filled the boxes with tinned toms.
Plenty of tomatoes in Coles today.....if you just want the little cherry ones. Not a mushroom in sight thats me on starvation rations for a while then, they are my staple diet!
And today's oddest thing to be "unavailable due to flooding"- bearing in mind I'm not even close to being in a flood affected suburb and supply routes to Lutwyche have been open throughout - .......... Polaramine antihistamines She said "come back when the flooding is over and we will have them again, probably mid February"...WTF!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

WOWEEEE SOME CRAZY ASS STORM JUST PASSED OVER!!! 32 degrees then suddenly hail, thunder and lightening, FREAKY!!!

http://reg.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml#skip

It was heavier than last weeks but just nowhere near as long, obviously! MENTAL!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
WOWEEEE SOME CRAZY ASS STORM JUST PASSED OVER!!! 32 degrees then suddenly hail, thunder and lightening, FREAKY!!!

http://reg.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml#skip

It was heavier than last weeks but just nowhere near as long, obviously! MENTAL!
"Normal" Queensland summer storm ....I'd rather be dealing with them than last week's events anyday......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.