Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving out of rentals - the inspection!

Moving out of rentals - the inspection!

Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving out of rentals - the inspection!

Warning - ranting and moaning ahead

Oh my goodness - I knew what it would be like, I've read enough posts on here about the horrors of the final inspection in order to try and get your full bond refund, but even so, I was still so unprepared!

We've had quarterly inspections, always with "it's been a pleasure to inspect" notices left so all in all I didn't think it would too bad.

But in reality the whole process was ridiculous!

Bearing in mind, we'd moved into the house when it was brand new, I was a little worried about general wear and tear but essentially that was all good.

We'd only put a couple of those Command 3M strips up for a few pictures, which we left up, and had sort permission for, so that was fine. No damage, no big scuffs etc.

But the things they picked up on were :: (taken from the agent's email)

• Bugs in down lights in kitchen, pantry and family. (I tried to take photos of the lights but it didn't even show anything)
• Outside of window at back of family room. (A bird had poo'd in the 24 hrs from cleaning to inspection)
• Security screen door to back patio and tracks
• Tracks and sill in bedroom 1
• Overhead shelf in built-in bedroom 2, 3 and 4.
• Window tracks and sill in bed 3
• Fan on rear patio
• Concrete floor on rear patio
• Garage window tracks and sills
• Garage skirting boards/cobwebs and floor to be gernied
• Solar light cover in garage toilet
• Top shelf in linen cupboard

I firstly had to ring to find out what on earth "gernied" was! Turns out they wanted it pressure washed.

So having lost the will to live with cleaning (and working 60 hrs a week), and to be so disappointed to have these things still to do, I asked the agents if they had a cleaning company who could provide a quote. They did, I got a quote, they actually came and looked, saw the tiniest bits of grass dust on the sills (from the wretched leaf blower, ) and they quoted 10 hours, at $40/hr

With that, I thanked them for their time and said no thanks. I'd do it. With it being school holidays I hoped my sons might help, only 11 & 12 but mighty helpful at times, particularly for payment. Negotiations followed, turns out they'd help for a Macca's lunch, including a McFlurry (I didn't tell them about the $400 quote until we all shook on it! )

So we spent an hour, yep a whole hour. I didn't touch the shelves, outside fan or window tracks. I did "wet" the garage floor and made a reasonable attempt to clean up the concrete on the veranda but in all seriousness, bare concrete is going to show traffic wear etc isn't it!

I then had a 2nd inspection, and finally got the all clear. Bond returned in full (well it will be once final water bill is received and paid).

What makes me quite so cross though, is we had masses of issues with plumbing when we first moved in (they hadn't connected rain water pipes underground and had smashed pipes from the building works) so I was continually trying to keep the garden nice and clean and then every time it rained it got trashed.

Eventually they listened to us and fixed it but even then, I had to clean up all the mess. It happened in the front and back garden, and each time, me like a mug, tidied up after them.

On the basis of the expectation for leaving the rental ready for the next tenants, I shouldn't have done any of it, I should've got them to do it all.

I am a little inclined to go along next week to meet the new tenants and let them know that if they'd like to eat their dinner off the window sills, or floors, please do as it's probably clean enough!

I do hope they notice the window tracks are like new - what do you reckon, is it something you'd notice when you were picking from 120 (yep really that many) four bedroom houses to chose from!

Thank god we're living in our own house now
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:23 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out of rentals - the inspection!

It's true, they don't miss you. I wonder sometimes if they get kickbacks from cleaning firms.

I moved out of a rental when I moved to Brisbane and being very tight on funds as a then single parent I worked my tail off to ensure I got all my bond back. As I was leaving town it wouldn't have been economical to go back to fix anything up and I thought I had everything covered.

To my amazement, they found the (cleaned) oven wasn't quite clean enough and it cost me $30 to have it professionally cleaned.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out of rentals - the inspection!

I'm going to enter the renting market again soon but in New Zealand - don't want to rush to buy but I must say I'm not looking forward to it one bit!