British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Kalamunda Bush Fires Part 2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/kalamunda-bush-fires-part-2-a-419554/)

Amazulu Jan 17th 2007 12:54 am

Kalamunda Bush Fires Part 2

There was another bush fire in Kalamunda yesterday. Only this time instead of it being a km away it was 150-200m from our house, across the road in Jorgessen Park. It started about 3:30pm, my wife was at home & heard & smelt it straight away. She went outside to have a look & could see the smoke & flames across the road in the park. She was going to leave straight away when the Firies turned up, about 30 of them & told her to wait. They water bombed the fire with 4 helicopters & got it under control within 30 minutes. Apparently it was started deliberately. Just another day in the Hills....
Well done to FESA & the Firies. I came home last night to find my wife had given them most of my beer! I wouldn't have minded but it was all my Little Creatures and Coopers beer. Why couldn't she have given them the VB? I hope they enjoy it, they deserve it.

steve99 Jan 17th 2007 1:05 am

Re: Kalamunda Bush Fires Part 2

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4292209)
There was another bush fire in Kalamunda yesterday. Only this time instead of it being a km away it was 150-200m from our house, across the road in Jorgessen Park. It started about 3:30pm, my wife was at home & heard & smelt it straight away. She went outside to have a look & could see the smoke & flames across the road in the park. She was going to leave straight away when the Firies turned up, about 30 of them & told her to wait. They water bombed the fire with 4 helicopters & got it under control within 30 minutes. Apparently it was started deliberately. Just another day in the Hills....
Well done to FESA & the Firies. I came home last night to find my wife had given them most of my beer! I wouldn't have minded but it was all my Little Creatures and Coopers beer. Why couldn't she have given them the VB? I hope they enjoy it, they deserve it.

You keep VB in your house:scared: :biggrin:

Glad to hear all was ok, if I we're you id start my own fire out the back in a bucket just to get number 3 out the way, just incase...

Talking about Firies, where's Renth dissapeared too??? havent seen him on here for a while.

Amazulu Jan 17th 2007 1:08 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4292229)
You keep VB in your house:scared: :D

Glad to hear all was ok, if I we're you id start my own fire out the back in a bucket just to get number 3 out the way, just incase...:smile:

Talking about Firies, where's Renth dissapeared too??? havent seen him on here for a while.

Only for visitors.:D

Yeah, Renth hasn't been on for a while.

steve99 Jan 17th 2007 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4292235)
Only for visitors.:D

You could pour a ring of it around your place, your house would either explode as the fire hit it or it would just fizzle out and die off:D

Wendy Jan 17th 2007 1:23 am

One of the things that really puzzles me is why people delibrately start fires. It really gets me mad :mad:

Pollyana Jan 17th 2007 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4292259)
One of the things that really puzzles me is why people delibrately start fires. It really gets me mad :mad:

Been reading about this recently. Apparently a lot of it is a desire to be seen as a hero. Many of the people involved in deliberately starting fires are then seen helping to put them out, and sometimes they are even firfighters. The community then hails them as a hero for helping to put out the blaze - not reealising that the fire was started by them originally. :mad:

Wendy Jan 17th 2007 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4292265)
Been reading about this recently. Apparently a lot of it is a desire to be seen as a hero. Many of the people involved in deliberately starting fires are then seen helping to put them out, and sometimes they are even firfighters. The community then hails them as a hero for helping to put out the blaze - not reealising that the fire was started by them originally. :mad:

Some hero that endangers people's life. They need therapy :curse:

northernbird Jan 17th 2007 2:03 am

You keep VB in your house:scared: :biggrin:

Glad to hear all was ok, if I we're you id start my own fire out the back in a bucket just to get number 3 out the way, just incase...

He is in QLD on holiday. Due back any day as I recall as he has to find another rental house by end of January.

sme Jan 17th 2007 2:50 am

Last seen in the hills wandering back to Ocean Reef with bottles of Little Creatures under each arm !:D

BadgeIsBack Jan 17th 2007 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4292265)

You can be a hero by just being as FIGJAM as me.:p

Seriously, there are some weirdos around, one got seriously ahem, excited by fire. He was a serial offender; under interrogation, the cops only had to mention how hot the weather was outside, and he'd get a bit hot under the collar.

One guy (probably already under suspicion) self-incriminated himself by correcting his driver as to the exact location of the fire, when the circumstances were that he couldn't have known......

Sam Jan 17th 2007 7:27 am

Christ it feels like these fires are following me:unsure:

the last one was just 2 roads from me, and this one not much further (i've moved)

Did you also hear about the one in Roleystone, just across the hills burnt a house down :ohmy:

Pollyana Jan 17th 2007 8:02 am

Originally Posted by alan and sam (Post 4292920)
Christ it feels like these fires are following me:unsure:

the last one was just 2 roads from me, and this one not much further (i've moved)

Did you also hear about the one in Roleystone, just across the hills burnt a house down :ohmy:

Anyone who fancies a good read - Burn, by Paul Collins, published by Allen & Unwin - it actually has the stories of the people caught in bushfires over the yeasr, including some really old ones in Victoria (Gippsland etc, the parts that are burning now) and also has the appalling Canberra fires hour by hour. Very readable as it has more of the human touch than many books on fire. Also has a lot about the psychology of the arsonists.

Sam Jan 17th 2007 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4292969)
Anyone who fancies a good read - Burn, by Paul Collins, published by Allen & Unwin - it actually has the stories of the people caught in bushfires over the yeasr, including some really old ones in Victoria (Gippsland etc, the parts that are burning now) and also has the appalling Canberra fires hour by hour. Very readable as it has more of the human touch than many books on fire. Also has a lot about the psychology of the arsonists.

i love a good deep read Pol

I shall invest in this one, i have written it down to look for when i go shopping in Midland next

Thanks

Pollyana Jan 17th 2007 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by alan and sam (Post 4293662)
i love a good deep read Pol

I shall invest in this one, i have written it down to look for when i go shopping in Midland next

Thanks

Its brand new - got it in Borders here about 3 weeks back, and it really is excellent for anyone with an interest in bushfires. Should also be essential reading for those living in semi-rural areas as it really makes you aware of the dangers - the way its written you can hear the speed the fires move at.