Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Illawarra - Flood Warnings

Illawarra - Flood Warnings

Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illawarra - Flood Warnings

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Never seen anything like it. We have 228mm in the last 24hrs and its still coming and we already have lots of roads closed and flooded.

Some perspective for any folks in the UK reading this. I'm from Manchester, you know, that famously wet city. Well I've had more rain today than the average in Manchester for November, December and January... combined !!
Watching the weather channel earlier, its like the stuff they were getting up north last week, but thats monsoonal
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:00 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Watching the weather channel earlier, its like the stuff they were getting up north last week, but thats monsoonal
Hope you guys are all OK down there

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/b...-1226025795419
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been a bit dissapointed with my garden for a while... so yesterday I had it moved to the house four doors down !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3CKjG3aUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cEykYcTG1g&NR=1
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:20 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It's like QLD here.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a bit dissapointed with my garden for a while... so yesterday I had it moved to the house four doors down !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3CKjG3aUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cEykYcTG1g&NR=1
Whoa!!!!

My daughter lives in Balgownie but hadn't mentioned this.

Stay safe people.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by IvanM
It's like QLD here.

I've had to spend most of the afternoon at work watching you-tube videos of the Queensland floods, very freaky. Take care down there all of you and PLEASE don't drive or walk through flood water
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to spend most of the afternoon at work watching you-tube videos of the Queensland floods, very freaky. Take care down there all of you and PLEASE don't drive or walk through flood water
We have friends arriving Thursday to Melbourne. They are staying down here til Saturday and then are making their way up the coast to Sydney in a motorhome, aiming to be in Sydney for around the 1st (a week and a bit). I have been trying to get across how badly the south coast of NSW has been but am not sure how long the effects will last? Do you think they'll have trouble travelling up the coast next week? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I have no idea how long it takes for floods to recede etc.

And I have had a couple of glasses of red...........
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by itigo
We have friends arriving Thursday to Melbourne. They are staying down here til Saturday and then are making their way up the coast to Sydney in a motorhome, aiming to be in Sydney for around the 1st (a week and a bit). I have been trying to get across how badly the south coast of NSW has been but am not sure how long the effects will last? Do you think they'll have trouble travelling up the coast next week? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I have no idea how long it takes for floods to recede etc.

Well its not a part of the country that I'm familiar with to the same levels as Queensland - in that I don't really know much about how quick the river levels drop. However I doubt the roads go under to the extent they do in north Qld, where they can stay cut for weeks.
Most of the heaviest rainfall is along the coastal strip as far as I can see, so should flow straight out to sea. However someone with local knowledge would probably know more detail.
http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/ would be a good one to follow, but unless the rain starts up again I don't think they'd have a problem getting through.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Well its not a part of the country that I'm familiar with to the same levels as Queensland - in that I don't really know much about how quick the river levels drop. However I doubt the roads go under to the extent they do in north Qld, where they can stay cut for weeks.
Most of the heaviest rainfall is along the coastal strip as far as I can see, so should flow straight out to sea. However someone with local knowledge would probably know more detail.
http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/ would be a good one to follow, but unless the rain starts up again I don't think they'd have a problem getting through.
Great, thanks Polly! Will let them have that web address. Bless them, they want to come for the fresh air and good weather as they live in a very smoggy Asian city.........I told them, if it's bracing sea air they want, they'll be getting it!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:23 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks Polly! Will let them have that web address. Bless them, they want to come for the fresh air and good weather as they live in a very smoggy Asian city.........I told them, if it's bracing sea air they want, they'll be getting it!
They should be fine as if they find any of the coastal roads closed they can always divert onto the main Highway somewhere - the Hume Highway hasnt been affected to my knowledge and although the Princes Highway went under in places as Polly says its close to the coast and so tends to recede pretty quick. I would say if they do get held up it wont be for long so make sure they've got a flask packed and a couple of cheese butties.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

While most of the South Coast has taken a bit of a battering, 100mm+ in a 24hr period, the stuff that made the news was very localised, covering only a pretty small area South of the 'Gong. In the end we got almost 300mm in 24hrs... and its gone. Only some minor road closures left and none of those would effect a drive up the coast.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

While most of the South Coast has taken a bit of a battering, 100mm+ in a 24hr period, the stuff that made the news was very localised, covering only a pretty small area South of the 'Gong. In the end we got almost 300mm in 24hrs... and its gone. Only some minor road closures left and none of those would effect a drive up the coast.
Thats what I suspected, its not like the monsoons in the north, or western Qld where the water just spreads out for miles across the land.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:01 am

Its all beautiful weather now. The lawn looks like a jungle though.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Its all beautiful weather now. The lawn looks like a jungle though.
Windy today but!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:03 pm

Curry?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Windy today but!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.