British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How will the Flood Affect Jobs in Brisbane and QLD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-will-flood-affect-jobs-brisbane-qld-701192/)

Alfresco Jan 18th 2011 10:13 am

How will the Flood Affect Jobs in Brisbane and QLD?

Heard on the news today that the toursism industry is already suffering in Greater QLD and not only Brisbane, because of the floods.

In my experience, any major disaster results in companies stopping employment for a while.

What are short to medium term job prospects in Brisbane and QLD in general do you think?

steve`o Jan 18th 2011 10:29 am

Re: How will the Flood Affect Jobs in Brisbane and QLD?

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9110106)
Heard on the news today that the toursism industry is already suffering in Greater QLD and not only Brisbane, because of the floods.

In my experience, any major disaster results in companies stopping employment for a while.

What are short to medium term job prospects in Brisbane and QLD in general do you think?

construction industry boom?

sonlymewalter Jan 18th 2011 10:30 am

tradie jobs will increase. Everyone just wants to get on with normal life now so hopefully all other jobs will start coming through now everyone's back to work :thumbup:

Alfresco Jan 18th 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9110125)
construction industry boom?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 9110126)
tradie jobs will increase. Everyone just wants to get on with normal life now so hopefully all other jobs will start coming through now everyone's back to work :thumbup:

Yep I believe those industries should be ok for a while. Will see what happens with things like I.T. etc...

sonlymewalter Jan 19th 2011 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9111289)
Yep I believe those industries should be ok for a while. Will see what happens with things like I.T. etc...

i reckon the natural reaction at first is for companies to hold off for a week or two but reality is industry needs to build itself up in all areas, especially in light of the past couple of years GFC.

Once the news stops banging on about what happened and starts forcussing more on building up business confidence and moving forward, things will hopefully start moving:thumbup:

steve`o Jan 19th 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 9111811)
i reckon the natural reaction at first is for companies to hold off for a week or two but reality is industry needs to build itself up in all areas, especially in light of the past couple of years GFC.

Once the news stops banging on about what happened and starts forcussing more on building up business confidence and moving forward, things will hopefully start moving:thumbup:

go on admit it
youve been listening to gillard

sonlymewalter Jan 19th 2011 4:34 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9112055)
go on admit it

:lol:

:unsure:

Alfresco Jan 19th 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9112055)
go on admit it

It sounds positive! :)

bcworld Jan 21st 2011 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9111289)

We got some feedback today about this in our company meeting - from the experience of the Brisbane office.

The general message was that we're expecting a significant slowdown in Brisbane. At first, customers were putting things off for a week, understandable, now decisions & projects are being put on hold for a couple of months.

It won't be across the board though, we're seeing a spike in interest in disaster recovery and cloud computing projects! A bit knee jerk maybe but not too surprising I guess.

The general message though is non essential stuff is very much on hold.

Alfresco Jan 21st 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9117696)
We got some feedback today about this in our company meeting - from the experience of the Brisbane office.

The general message was that we're expecting a significant slowdown in Brisbane. At first, customers were putting things off for a week, understandable, now decisions & projects are being put on hold for a couple of months.

It won't be across the board though, we're seeing a spike in interest in disaster recovery and cloud computing projects! A bit knee jerk maybe but not too surprising I guess.

The general message though is non essential stuff is very much on hold.

That's the feeling I get every time something major like this happens i.e. 911, GFC.

Although in the UK at the time, it was very noticeable from an I.T. contracting point of view. Work just dried up.

But I have a backup (:D) plan - not to work in I.T. much longer.

bcworld Jan 21st 2011 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9117727)

Now that's a good plan! :thumbup:

Bernieboy Jan 21st 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9117727)
That's the feeling I get every time something major like this happens i.e. 911, GFC.

Although in the UK at the time, it was very noticeable from an I.T. contracting point of view. Work just dried up.

So hungry jacks are still employing:D

Alfresco Jan 21st 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9117770)
So hungry jacks are still employing:D

Dunno, but Maccas are. DD is starting casual with them on Sunday. ;)

Bernieboy Jan 21st 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9117778)

:thumbup:

Pollyana Jan 21st 2011 9:18 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9117778)

Hopefully not this one :eek:

She may have a limited menu to deal with too, some branches of run out of - guess what.........
TOWNSVILLE pubs have run out of XXXX beer because of the Brisbane floods, forcing brewer Lion Nathan to send a shipload of the amber fluid north to replenish dwindling supplies.
McDonald's has also been forced to send a planeload of lettuce north to keep burger lovers happy in a move which is believed to have cost the company $50,000.
Restaurants across the city have been forced to take some items off their menus due to stock shortages with price hikes for fresh produce hitting businesses