Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Fires have burnt down a number of homes south of Sydney this afternoon.

A spokesman for the Rural Fire Service (RFS) says three, possiby four, houses have been lost in the Picton, Oakdale, Thirlmere area.

Weather conditions are creating problems for firefighters who are also battling blazes near Newcastle, in the Hawkesbury area and around Ulladulla on the south coast.

There are also reports a property has been lost in Sydney's north-west at Riverside Oakes.

[...]

Meanwhile, the Princes Highway on the NSW south coast has been opened again south of Ulladulla, after a bushfire in the area.

The highway was closed to enable firefighters to bring under control a fire which at one stage threatened properties at Burrill Lake.

As well, another fire has broken out in the Conjola National Park, north of Milton.
ABC.

Does anyone live around any of these areas, or know someone who does?

Hope they get it under control asap. Bushfires are heartbreaking.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Fires have burnt down a number of homes south of Sydney this afternoon.

A spokesman for the Rural Fire Service (RFS) says three, possiby four, houses have been lost in the Picton, Oakdale, Thirlmere area.

Weather conditions are creating problems for firefighters who are also battling blazes near Newcastle, in the Hawkesbury area and around Ulladulla on the south coast.

There are also reports a property has been lost in Sydney's north-west at Riverside Oakes.

[...]

Meanwhile, the Princes Highway on the NSW south coast has been opened again south of Ulladulla, after a bushfire in the area.

The highway was closed to enable firefighters to bring under control a fire which at one stage threatened properties at Burrill Lake.

As well, another fire has broken out in the Conjola National Park, north of Milton.
ABC.

Does anyone live around any of these areas, or know someone who does?

Hope they get it under control asap. Bushfires are heartbreaking.
I cant say Im surprised to hear there are bushfires in Sydneys south west today, as the wind is absolutley howling out here ! I just went out to the shops and there are trees down everywhere. Pity the poor fire fighters as they are really going to have a tough job on there hands with this wind.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:16 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

So so sad, and I guess it's only early in the bushfire season? Does it get worse in summer?

Did any of you see the perfect storm drama/documentary about bushfires in Sydney. It was a CGI dramatised image of what MIGHT happen if a firestorm were to begin.

It was powerful stuff. The eycalpytus trees were projecting tall towers of heat which had a sort of crowning effect and the fire was simply leaping from tree to tree with heat rising so high and spreading so fast that it was unstoppable. This type of storm requires particular weather conditions to begin, but can only be stopped by weather (rain). Scary stuff
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:23 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Originally Posted by herrchook
So so sad, and I guess it's only early in the bushfire season? Does it get worse in summer?
Not always, but it can do.

Did any of you see the perfect storm drama/documentary about bushfires in Sydney. It was a CGI dramatised image of what MIGHT happen if a firestorm were to begin.

It was powerful stuff. The eycalpytus trees were projecting tall towers of heat which had a sort of crowning effect and the fire was simply leaping from tree to tree with heat rising so high and spreading so fast that it was unstoppable. This type of storm requires particular weather conditions to begin, but can only be stopped by weather (rain). Scary stuff
The biggest bushfires in Australia have destroyed areas on a staggering scale. Ash Wednesday (16th of Feb, 1983) saw the loss of 335,000 hectares of pastoral land and natural bush - that's about twice the size of Greater London! :scared:

Eucalypts are bushfire fuel; all that lovely oil in the leaves is incredibly flammable, and once it gets going, the fire can spread straight across the tree-tops.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook

Unfortunately it does get worse in summer. We are experiencing unusually high temperatures at the moment ( was 33 celsius in sydney today ) so Im hoping it isnt a sign of things to come. I will never forget xmas day a few years ago. It was extremely hot and the sky was grey and red from all the smoke and bushfires around us. It was very eery and very scary. I have so much respect for the firefighters ( professional and volunteers ) as despite the danger they work non stop for hours upon hours, sometimes to the point of exhaustion to try and put these fires out. They are absolute heros in my eyes.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:30 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
Unfortunately it does get worse in summer. We are experiencing unusually high temperatures at the moment ( was 33 celsius in sydney today ) so Im hoping it isnt a sign of things to come. I will never forget xmas day a few years ago. It was extremely hot and the sky was grey and red from all the smoke and bushfires around us. It was very eery and very scary. I have so much respect for the firefighters ( professional and volunteers ) as despite the danger they work non stop for hours upon hours, sometimes to the point of exhaustion to try and put these fires out. They are absolute heros in my eyes.
I saw a TV program about the skies in Sydney all dark becuase of the fires. You're right, it looked VERY eerie. It was so weird, all these people were just seemingly oblivious, lazing oncBondi beach, yet the sky was telling the story that there were people risking their lives not far away. Thought provoking stuff.

I agree, firefighters are true heroes.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:44 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Eucalypts are bushfire fuel; all that lovely oil in the leaves is incredibly flammable, .
It may sound a bit morbid but where I live in the Hunter Valley, 2 hrs north of sydney the smell of a bushfire fuelled by eucalypts in summer is quite a nice smell. It also usually means that a southerly wind is on its way north and after a boiling hot day it offers a welcomed evening respite from the heat.

A few years ago on one of the hottest days I can remember (over 43c) a southerly came through around 8pm and the temp dipped to around 15c. I cant tell you what a bloody relief it was after the scorching day we had.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:47 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

The winds have been really bad here today, and its been over 30 too, so rife bushfire time.

There was a small fire on at Bulli Tops, next to the southern freeway, but the fire service got it controlled before it got anywhere. There are a lot of trees on the illawarra escarpment, it could have got a lot worse. Probably some moron throwing there fag out of the car window.

There have been a lot of controlled burns here lately (illawarra) so hopefully we wont see anything too serious this year.

There seems to be a lot of fires today in NSW, it looks like Newcastle is getting the worst of it.

http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/dsp_c...cfm?CAT_ID=683

Last edited by Anastasia Beaverhausen; Sep 24th 2006 at 7:49 am.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:55 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
The winds have been really bad here today, and its been over 30 too, so rife bushfire time.

There was a small fire on at Bulli Tops, next to the southern freeway, but the fire service got it controlled before it got anywhere. There are a lot of trees on the illawarra escarpment, it could have got a lot worse. Probably some moron throwing there fag out of the car window.

There have been a lot of controlled burns here lately (illawarra) so hopefully we wont see anything too serious this year.

There seems to be a lot of fires today in NSW, it looks like Newcastle is getting the worst of it.

http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/dsp_c...cfm?CAT_ID=683
Hmmm, I cant smell fire and Im 15 minutes from Newcastle (Im in Raymond Terrace), though Ive heard lots of sirens just now.
I was expecting wind from last night but it didnt start til this arvo. I was camping with the kids in Fingal Bay this weekend and left early this morn because of the expected winds that didnt come
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:19 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 140+ small fires in Vic last week...with 46 going out of control for a while

Saw on the news that 3 homes have been lost today.....season seems to have come early
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

We went to Canungra to have a look around yesterday and took this road that climbed into the mountains.

Here's a few pics from half way up! ...

Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin stays in Ulladulla and sent me this piccie through this morning - view from her house. They have friends who stay down in Burrill Lake - lovely place but surrounded by bush

Ann
Attached Thumbnails Homes lost in NSW bushfires-bush-fire.jpg  

Last edited by BertieB; Sep 24th 2006 at 8:34 am.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:55 am
Fighting my corner

Unhappy Re: Homes lost in NSW bushfires

Originally Posted by BertieB
My cousin stays in Ulladulla and sent me this piccie through this morning - view from her house. They have friends who stay down in Burrill Lake - lovely place but surrounded by bush

Ann
Crikey, that's a shocker.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

getting regular updates from my cousin - wind direction keeps changing and from her house she can see the top of the town which is glowing red. Her friend in Burrill Lake is holed up in her garage with some neighbours. The house next door to them has massive dents in their roof. Scary stuff.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:59 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by BertieB
getting regular updates from my cousin - wind direction keeps changing and from her house she can see the top of the town which is glowing red. Her friend in Burrill Lake is holed up in her garage with some neighbours. The house next door to them has massive dents in their roof. Scary stuff.
OMG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.